• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2nd gear grind

OP
OP
ST675R

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
My problem hasn't been at higher RPMs. Just daily driving 3k-4k RPMs. I don't really enjoy getting on the gas until 2nd gear anyway. Since it can be avoided with a more deliberate shift, maybe it's a mix of me being a little sloppy and my transmission being a little more sensitive than all the previous manual transmissions. :dunno:

I'll keep an eye on it and glad to hear that others aren't experiencing the same. It's not daily, but maybe 1x per week, 2x in the worst week. But sometimes I'm thinking, "I don't think I caused that."

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
My problem hasn't been at higher RPMs. Just daily driving 3k-4k RPMs. I don't really enjoy getting on the gas until 2nd gear anyway. Since it can be avoided with a more deliberate shift, maybe it's a mix of me being a little sloppy and my transmission being a little more sensitive than all the previous manual transmissions. :dunno:

I'll keep an eye on it and glad to hear that others aren't experiencing the same. It's not daily, but maybe 1x per week, 2x in the worst week. But sometimes I'm thinking, "I don't think I caused that."
I've never had a 1-2 grind, so maybe it's an individual / case-by-case transmission thing (i.e. I can't attest that my approach actually avoids the issue), but I purposefully am a little slow on the clutch release from 1-2. That might help. Good luck!

Last edited:

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
I, knock on wood, haven't experienced any gear grinding yet despite I only have 5500 miles on it and coming from my 08 SI, have trained my self to purposefully shift as smooth as possible to the the point that.you can barely feel it shifting. So much so as an aunt noticed and confirmed that we two weer probably only ones in our family that can shift as if its an automatic.
Don't get me wrong, I'v had my urgency opportunities too that felt the need to punch the throttle and feel the raw surge of get and go quicker to move VTEC power when safe and necessary.

Many FK8 owners, even utubers have resorted to modifying their clutch master cylinders (CMC). Elias (Flying Gato) was one othe very first to do so. You can check out his video here:

Many of us FK8 owners have changed our transmission fluid to this:
AC Delco 10-4014 Friction Modified fluid:
Swapping my MTF: GM Syncromesh?
Yes FM (10-4014) is the version you want.
Honda Civic Type R Transmission FIXED | Here's how to FIX YOURS
Hope this helps guys.

OP
OP
ST675R

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
After grinding 2x tonight with the clutch firmly on the floor both times, I'm not the problem. Adjusted the CMC plunger and it feels good after a short test run.

Lots of great mountain driving out of Franklin, NC planned for this weekend - Hwys 178, 28, 129 (Deal's Gap), Cherohala Skyway, for those who know the area. I'll bring a few tools just in case I need to readjust.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
After grinding 2x tonight with the clutch firmly on the floor both times, I'm not the problem. Adjusted the CMC plunger and it feels good after a short test run.

Lots of great mountain driving out of Franklin, NC planned for this weekend - Hwys 178, 28, 129 (Deal's Gap), Cherohala Skyway, for those who know the area. I'll bring a few tools just in case I need to readjust.
Good feedback!

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S

glad you solved the caper.

Turbo Tater

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Apex Blue and a 93 MR2 w/ 2GR swap
I've had 3 or 4 grinds going into 2nd. Gonna try to do a change in trans fluid to help. Been driving a stick for since 1999, pretty sure it aint a skill issue.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!

I adjusted mine. It had a decent gap. Hardest part was fitting under there. 😂
I didn't test drive yet so will update tomorrow.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Update. It's did change the clutch engagement point so it's higher. 2nd feels slightly better. Only time will tell if it solved the issue.

acurax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
@Integra23 and @ST675R could either of you post some pics and/or steps for what you did, for others who may be experiencing this issue?

acurax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type-S
@ITSDAD Thanks, I skipped to the last post and forgot to go back to the first post.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
@Integra23 and @ST675R could either of you post some pics and/or steps for what you did, for others who may be experiencing this issue?
You can watch the video. Single nut you need to loosen then turn the shaft to adjust. I can see about photos later tonight.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
@acurax
Here ya go. Just losen the nut and turn the shaft it's attached to. Depress clutch with hand back and forth just a little bit and you can feel slop. Adjust accordingly

20240420_1.jpg