• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What would happen if I turned my car off without lifting the electric brake first?

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
I have been driving manual my entire life and used to manually pulling up the parking brake lever for the past thirty years. however without the lever it seems weird to me to push a button. Since its all electronic now and everything is software driven I don't see any reason why Acura doesn't add some code to let you choose whether or not to auto enable park brake on engine shutdown or door lock. it already auto disengages the parking brake with active throttle. (saw in demo video a reviewer said a feature was auto park brake disable to help noobies with a manual on a hill.) that was kinda funny..

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
I have been driving manual my entire life and used to manually pulling up the parking brake lever for the past thirty years. however without the lever it seems weird to me to push a button. Since its all electronic now and everything is software driven I don't see any reason why Acura doesn't add some code to let you choose whether or not to auto enable park brake on engine shutdown or door lock. it already auto disengages the parking brake with active throttle. (saw in demo video a reviewer said a feature was auto park brake disable to help noobies with a manual on a hill.) that was kinda funny..
That’s correct active throttle disengaged the brakes. I haven’t used it while driving.

read the previous replies about those of us putting shifter in gear before turning engine off. That’s the best peace of mind you can get if you’re worried about electronic brakes failing

Brian G

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RLX
Would the brake go on automatically, or would I just roll downhill?
This happened to me today at JFK today. I turned the car off and got out of the car quickly to help a friend put luggage in the car. I noticed it started to roll a little bit. I will not make that mistake twice. Would seem Acura could have left the break hold function on all the time instead of having to set it each time you restart the car.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Pretty sure brake hold & e-brake are 2 completely different things though. They can both fail, however.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
Wow kind of a ridiculous design. Is there a way to enable the parking break to turn on whenever I shut the car off? Seems crazy that the car won’t even warn me when it’s in neutral with the e brake off.
Are you serious? I've been driving manuals for over 45 years and this is exactly how they all work. The parking brake is independent whether it's a mechanical handle or electronically activated by a switch. If you need the car to warn you that it's neutral, maybe you shouldn't be driving a manual.

You can activate the parking brake after shutting the engine off. I do it all the time.

Brian G

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RLX
Are you serious? I've been driving manuals for over 45 years and this is exactly how they all work. The parking brake is independent whether it's a mechanical handle or electronically activated by a switch. If you need the car to warn you that it's neutral, maybe you shouldn't be driving a manual.

You can activate the parking brake after shutting the engine off. I do it all the time.
I disagree and view it as a safety issue. You get out of the car without putting on the brake, the car can roll and hurt/kill someone behind it. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen that a software fix could prevent. Just because you have driven manuals for "45 years" doesn't mean things cant be improved.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I disagree and view it as a safety issue. You get out of the car without putting on the brake, the car can roll and hurt/kill someone behind it. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen that a software fix could prevent. Just because you have driven manuals for "45 years" doesn't mean things cant be improved.
If you consider it a safety issue, then every vehicle with a manual transmission that has ever been produced is unsafe according to you. If a driver is so clueless as to get out of their car without leaving it in gear and/or setting the parking brake, it's the driver's fault and the driver who is unsafe, not the vehicle. FFS, take some responsibility onto yourself, or maybe just start taking the bus.

OP
OP

224int6mt

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra 6mt
If you consider it a safety issue, then every vehicle with a manual transmission that has ever been produced is unsafe according to you. If a driver is so clueless as to get out of their car without leaving it in gear and/or setting the parking brake, it's the driver's fault and the driver who is unsafe, not the vehicle. FFS, take some responsibility onto yourself, or maybe just start taking the bus.
Dude nobody’s saying every manual car ever should have an automatic parking brake, but since the integra parking brake is electronic it could very well just be programmed into the software the same way it is when you turn the car off with brake hold on, or at least an option in settings. Almost every modern automatic car will alert you if you turn the car off and the cars not in P. No reason for it not to be a feature on the integra that can be turned on or off. It’s also a known issue that the switch can be flipped too fast to actually flip the brake on, leading to people thinking they put it on when it isn’t. Your logic is like saying just because your 1979 corvette didn’t have automatic headlights or blind spot assist there’s no need for them in a 2024 car. Technology rapidly improves. Don’t reject it.

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
Dude nobody’s saying every manual car ever should have an automatic parking brake, but since the integra parking brake is electronic it could very well just be programmed into the software the same way it is when you turn the car off with brake hold on, or at least an option in settings. Almost every modern automatic car will alert you if you turn the car off and the cars not in P. No reason for it not to be a feature on the integra that can be turned on or off. It’s also a known issue that the switch can be flipped too fast to actually flip the brake on, leading to people thinking they put it on when it isn’t. Your logic is like saying just because your 1979 corvette didn’t have automatic headlights or blind spot assist there’s no need for them in a 2024 car. Technology rapidly improves. Don’t reject it.
Yes! I have pulled the e-brake button immediately after shutting the car down only to realize that it didn’t engage. That is something that should be address by Acura. I also agree that it should be a setting for it to engage as soon as you shut down the car. I’m aware that having the Brake Hold option enabled will do that for you, but you have to manually turn that on. Additionally, I reverse park into my garage and need to play with the throttle since it is on a slight incline to get it exactly in the right position. With the Brake Hold option, that makes very inconvenient.

The beauty of modern cars is that a software update can address all these shortcomings.

Last edited:

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You do realize that every automatic car - before electronics took over everything - had an interlock function that prevented the driver from turning the key off and removing it unless the car was in P or N, right?

Never had a Corvette and wouldn't want one, but I hate the auto headlights and auto intermittent wipers on this car. There's no reason my headlights should come on while I'm driving on a sunny day, just because I'm going under a multi-lane overpass. The wipers are even worse. Those are two "features" that the owner should be able to defeat. I have also had the parking brake not engage on the first try, if I was a bit hasty. Do you know what would be an absolutely 100% fail-safe system to prevent that? A mechanical parking brake.

Technology may improve, but as it does too many people become over reliant on it to save their dumb asses from shit they should be paying attention to, instead of eating their scones and texting their BFF's about the latest influencer content creation, while piloting a multi-ton potential death machine.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Some auto cars put the transmission in park when you open a door.. talk about a nanny transmission

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Some auto cars put the transmission in park when you open a door.. talk about a nanny transmission
Yes, it's VERY annoying. At least on my last 2 trucks. Couldn't pop the door open just a tad while in reverse (construction/off road/parking) - it would just slam it into park, rather hard. All bc some people ran themselves over. Same thing with the horn honking at you when you get out of it while it's running/idling & the key fob is in your pocket. & you couldn't turn it off. That was because of people poisoning & killing themselves with exhaust fumes.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
You do realize that every automatic car - before electronics took over everything - had an interlock function that prevented the driver from turning the key off and removing it unless the car was in P or N, right?

Never had a Corvette and wouldn't want one, but I hate the auto headlights and auto intermittent wipers on this car. There's no reason my headlights should come on while I'm driving on a sunny day, just because I'm going under a multi-lane overpass. The wipers are even worse. Those are two "features" that the owner should be able to defeat. I have also had the parking brake not engage on the first try, if I was a bit hasty. Do you know what would be an absolutely 100% fail-safe system to prevent that? A mechanical parking brake.

Technology may improve, but as it does too many people become over reliant on it to save their dumb asses from shit they should be paying attention to, instead of eating their scones and texting their BFF's about the latest influencer content creation, while piloting a multi-ton potential death machine.
You can turn off the auto headlights and the auto wipers... the auto setting is just an option on the stalk.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can turn off the auto headlights and the auto wipers... the auto setting is just an option on the stalk.
No, you cannot. To cancel the auto function of the headlights, you have to turn on the parking lights, and to cancel the auto intermittent wipers, you have to have the wipers on low, completely defeating the intermittent function.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
No, you cannot. To cancel the auto function of the headlights, you have to turn on the parking lights, and to cancel the auto intermittent wipers, you have to have the wipers on low, completely defeating the intermittent function.
There is an "OFF" setting for both.

I haven't used it for the headlights, but I do for the wipers.

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg