• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Add me to the list.

Background: went grocery shopping and through an auto car wash to remove the salt from last week. Got home and got the emergency call in to work while I was unloading groceries. Drove 2 miles to work, spent 3 minutes fixing the computer that no one else could fix to make sure payroll clears.

About 1/4 mile after leaving, going 35mph in 4th gear up a mild incline with 2815 miles on the odo, I went to follow the slight left and BAM - the wheel fought me. It didn't feel like a "no power steering" it was a "this steering wheel is not going to move." It was surprising enough, I spoke a "Hello" to myself. I immediately knew what this was so I gave it a slight right - normal, back left for the original correction: normal again.

1 month back from the last warranty ordeal now I'm joining the rest of you in this new journey.

Edit: I use wireless AA every time I drive
Bummer. Iā€™ve seen the trouble youā€™ve had in your other posts.

I updated the title to remove the CarPlay/USB part since others with the steering problem werenā€™t using those things.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Bummer. Iā€™ve seen the trouble youā€™ve had in your other posts.

I updated the title to remove the CarPlay/USB part since others with the steering problem werenā€™t using those things.
And thus your thread shall become the steering issue megathread on this forum šŸ˜…

Don't feel bad for me. I'm just an idiot that forgot how the corporate money machine has taken over in the 20 years since vehicles were reliable. I learned quite a bit from the last issue with the main takeaway being make as public of a spectacle as possible if you want results and I will be doing just that as more problems arise. āœŒ

Edit: without this thread, I would not have had the same reaction I did. It would have been terror that something broke. With this thread, I was easily able to identify what was going on even though it was new to me.

Last edited:

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Add me to the list.

Background: went grocery shopping and through an auto car wash to remove the salt from last week. Got home and got the emergency call in to work while I was unloading groceries. Drove 2 miles to work, spent 3 minutes fixing the computer that no one else could fix to make sure payroll clears.

About 1/4 mile after leaving, going 35mph in 4th gear up a mild incline with 2815 miles on the odo, I went to follow the slight left and BAM - the wheel fought me. It didn't feel like a "no power steering" it was a "this steering wheel is not going to move." It was surprising enough, I spoke a "Hello" to myself. I immediately knew what this was so I gave it a slight right - normal, back left for the original correction: normal again.

1 month back from the last warranty ordeal now I'm joining the rest of you in this new journey.

Edit: I use wireless AA every time I drive
I will also add, whether it be relevant or not;

The only other time i have felt the steering feel that I felt today was the only time I have activated the LKAS and had green lines on the dash. Is it possible that this system is not fully disabled when selected off and causing this entire issue for us? Maybe?

I've also noticed that I can feel a speed weighted steering system in this car. I.e. below 20mph requires less effort for input vs above 30mph.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I'm going to continue blowing up your thread:

I did some thinking this weekend while driving the car: what i experienced physically resembled a servomotor fighting me to stay at its programmed position. If anyone else has experience with position based electric motors please chime in.

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT

I did some thinking this weekend while driving the car: what i experienced physically resembled a servomotor fighting me to stay at its programmed position. If anyone else has experience with position based electric motors please chime in.
Please continue to blow it up. The more attention on this issue the better. There's obviously something going on...

KiloFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra M/T

Iā€™ve not experienced this issue, but from the descriptions Iā€™ve wondered whether it feels similar to the lane departure resistance but without the dash warnings?

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Felt exactly the same to me.

Iā€™ve not experienced this issue, but from the descriptions Iā€™ve wondered whether it feels similar to the lane departure resistance but without the dash warnings?

KiloFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra M/T
Felt exactly the same to me.
Interesting. And I saw that you have the lane departure system disabled from another thread. I wonder if there's a fault that would cause the force-feedback to engage unexpectedly. I also wonder if there's a way to further disable the steering wheel feedback other than the menu option, which might just control the sensors.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Interesting. And I saw that you have the lane departure system disabled from another thread. I wonder if there's a fault that would cause the force-feedback to engage unexpectedly. I also wonder if there's a way to further disable the steering wheel feedback other than the menu option, which might just control the sensors.
What menu option? I'll be turning that off to see what happens

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
It definitely felt like force feedback opposed to an issue in the rack. Which leads me to believe dealers are misdiagnosing the issue and also makes sense why we see repeat complaints after the racks have been replaced. I've experienced bad steering racks before and that is a completely different feeling.

The closest thing I've felt is a locked a/c servomotor with the drive engaged and the "stop" command on.

KiloFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra M/T

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I was referring to your post in this thread: https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/how-to-turn-off-lane-assist.50693/post-825048

I had assumed that thread was related to the warning that you get from lane departure, and not the LKAS system, but maybe I misunderstood.

Edit: I rewrote this because I did not sleep enough last night. Edited again: proofread shows it was still confusing.

I have the road departure mitigation turned off through the gauge cluster. The setting in the infotainment is still "normal". I thought with the gauge cluster setting being off, the infotainment setting did not mean anything. Until this instance on Saturday, that was the way it seemed. The loaner RDXs and MDX were the same. I adjusted the infotainment settings in those and it didn't disable it, the gauge cluster did. One of those had a button to disable things, I believe.

Regarding the lane keep assist: I activated it one time to see how it worked. The force feedback when I tried switching lanes felt exactly like what I felt Saturday, just without the system being on.

Last edited:

55Fives55

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra 2023
Just wanted to add my experience. Went to dealership and had the tech do a test drive. They said they can feel it slightly but was "consistent" with how the other integras drove (more of a feature...)... Guess I'm off to another dealership...

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Just wanted to add my experience. Went to dealership and had the tech do a test drive. They said they can feel it slightly but was "consistent" with how the other integras drove (more of a feature...)... Guess I'm off to another dealership...
did the car have any speed holes?

1678736879670.jpeg

PJK3

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Liquid Carbon Metallic / Red A-Spec Tech
Did anyone else who filed a report with the NHTSA get a phone call from them?