• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

Curl2TheHouse

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT ABP, 2000 Civic EM1 EBP
Joining the club with the jerky steering issue. Quick background, I have a 2023 6MT that was built Nov/Dec '23. I just hit 9k miles on the odometer this week.
  • Issue first appeared a week ago, driving down my neighborhood street going no more than 25 mph, about a minute after a cold start. Weather was clear and about 68 degrees
  • Felt very similar to descriptions on this forum, where steering would go into a "soft lock" position, which would then take a bit more force to move it out of, and when released, steering would "jerk" and overcorrect by maybe an extra degree or two. When going down a straight road, it would be enough to inch you closer to the median but not enough to cross into oncoming traffic. Corrections always seem to have me turning the wheel left, or counter-clockwise.
  • The issue continued constantly for about 3 days where it occurred immediately upon startup and was very noticeable during all driving conditions and speeds.
  • Throughout this week, however, the behavior has changed slightly. It now only occurs after about 10 minutes of driving and only at higher speeds. (40-50mph+). The only main change I can think of is that temperatures outside have dropped significantly. Last week, temps at night would not drop below 65 and this week they've been much lower, reaching as low as 45 last night.
  • I'm due for my first A1 maintenance and have it scheduled for next Thursday. I mentioned the issue when I scheduled but am worried now that a tech will not be able to notice it.
Has anyone else since experienced this issue and if so, have you had any additional luck discussing it with their service department?

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Thanks for sharing your experience. @Curl2TheHouse . I haven't had it happen since February. I kept a log with the temperatures, conditions, and durations. I live in NC so the weather is milder. When it happened in December and January, temps were around 40F. It happened briefly on a 70F day in February but then not at all on a long drive up to Washington DC in the 40s and 50s later that month. This was all when the car was under 5000 miles. I'm at 10,000 now.

Could be temperature related. That would explain why I haven't seen it since winter. Also I don't have a garage. Guess I'll see if it happens again when the weather gets colder.

CB123

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 RSX, want to buy new Integra
What is everybody’s thoughts or experiences regarding the Honda Civic technical bulletin for the equivalent issue - Service Bulletin 23-037?

It says to replace the EPS (I assume electric power steering) gearbox.

Has anyone done that to their Integra or know a Civic owner who did it?

(want to buy an Integra to replace my RSX, but want to know there is an effective solution)

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
What is everybody’s thoughts or experiences regarding the Honda Civic technical bulletin for the equivalent issue - Service Bulletin 23-037?

(want to buy an Integra to replace my RSX, but want to know there is an effective solution)
I took a copy of the Civic TSB with me when I took my Integra to the dealer about a week ago for the sticky steering. It was having the problem lately but not that day. The dealer didn't offer to repair and wouldn't really acknowledge the Civic TSB. They did offer to check with Acura about what to do. I got a call on Friday that they were going to replace the steering rack and have that scheduled for Wednesday. They're replacing the entire rack under warranty (53620-3S5-A24, which is like $2000 MSRP), but there's no Acura TSB for a cheaper fix that keeps the motor and just replaces the gearbox...yet.

It looks like the TSB is a narrower fix - the Gearbox and not the whole rack. On the Civic TSB, the "Gearbox" parts are 53640-T22-305 (Si), 53640-T21-306 (LX/EX), and 53640-T21-305 (S/ST), which are $900-$1000 MSRP. Integra parts are 3S5 (not T21/T22), so it looks like the correct Integra part for the EPS Gearbox is 53640-3S5-305 ($900 MSRP). I'm just guessing and googling though.

I expect there will be a TSB or recall at some point. If you haven't bought one yet, I'd say wait for that to get resolved. And if you do buy one, use the warranty.

CB123

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I took a copy of the Civic TSB with me when I took my Integra to the dealer about a week ago for the sticky steering. It was having the problem lately but not that day. The dealer didn't offer to repair and wouldn't really acknowledge the Civic TSB. They did offer to check with Acura about what to do. I got a call on Friday that they were going to replace the steering rack and have that scheduled for Wednesday. They're replacing the entire rack under warranty (53620-3S5-A24, which is like $2000 MSRP), but there's no Acura TSB for a cheaper fix that keeps the motor and just replaces the gearbox...yet.

It looks like the TSB is a narrower fix - the Gearbox and not the whole rack. On the Civic TSB, the "Gearbox" parts are 53640-T22-305 (Si), 53640-T21-306 (LX/EX), and 53640-T21-305 (S/ST), which are $900-$1000 MSRP. Integra parts are 3S5 (not T21/T22), so it looks like the correct Integra part for the EPS Gearbox is 53640-3S5-305 ($900 MSRP). I'm just guessing and googling though.

I expect there will be a TSB or recall at some point. If you haven't bought one yet, I'd say wait for that to get resolved. And if you do buy one, use the warranty.
Thank you. So you’re saying the “rack” includes the gearbox? I thought it was literally just the rack in the rack and pinion steering - the horizontal rod that gets moved side to side by the steering.

ManualGearbox68

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I also ran into this issue starting about 3 weeks ago. At 8200 miles, the steering felt like the car was fighting me every time I wanted to turn it. It would occur at any speed but most noticeable above 30mph. If I was on a long curve where you hold the wheel turned slightly, it would be so hard to turn the wheel back that you almost left your lane due to the over-correction. I took it to the dealer and they asked the standard questions - alignment out? Lane keeping on? etc. But then the head mechanic and I went for a drive. Luckily right outside the dealership is a long sweeping curve and when he felt the resistance he let out a surprised "whoa - what was that?" After that, he put me in a loaner and 3 days later, I received a call this morning that the car is ready - they replaced the steering rack under warranty. Do not know the details of the parts replaced yet, but will post with an update if it was more than the rack.

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Thank you. So you’re saying the “rack” includes the gearbox? I thought it was literally just the rack in the rack and pinion steering - the horizontal rod that gets moved side to side by the steering.
That's my understanding. I'm not a wrench, but I'm pretty sure when they say they're replacing the "steering rack" they mean the rack assembly. I don't have any detailed parts catalogs but dreamshop.honda.com lists a "13.RACK ASSY., POWER STEERING (EPS)(REWRITABLE)" for Integra and I assume that's the part the dealer is getting and also why they're not eager to eat the cost.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.06.22 AM.png

Reading the diagram, the $2000 RACK ASSY 53620-3S5-A24 would include the gearbox, motor (14), and other pieces inside the (13) outline. Dreamshop doesn't sell the Gearbox (53640-3S5-305) alone, they only sell this assembly that includes the motor. Below is a picture from the TSB showing the gearbox (lower) and reusing the motor.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.15.25 AM.png

Seems like they determined the gearbox is faulty and the motor is fine. So instead of replacing the entire rack, issue a TSB on how to replace the gearbox in the Civic for half the cost. Makes sense. Hopefully they do the same for Integra.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Yeah they're replacing the assembly. No dealership tech is rebuilding a steering rack on site.

ManualGearbox68

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I just got back from the dealership, they replaced part# 53620-3S5-A24. The copy they gave me did not have any detail but I reviewed the detailed invoice while I was there and yes- they replaced both the gearbox and the EPS motor/control unit. While the car drives fine this is my last straw with Honda products. My last Honda was a 2001 Civic (also a manual transmission) that would randomly die in traffic (which was verified by a the Honda mechanic who test drove the car). They never found the issue and while I was going through the lemon law process, it mysteriously stopped doing it.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I just got back from the dealership, they replaced part# 53620-3S5-A24. The copy they gave me did not have any detail but I reviewed the detailed invoice while I was there and yes- they replaced both the gearbox and the EPS motor/control unit. While the car drives fine this is my last straw with Honda products. My last Honda was a 2001 Civic (also a manual transmission) that would randomly die in traffic (which was verified by a the Honda mechanic who test drove the car). They never found the issue and while I was going through the lemon law process, it mysteriously stopped doing it.
To be fair there is a cause for everything. Your past experience sounds awful and you have every right to be upset. This thread is about the sticky steering which is a new issue and the goal is to hold the manufacturer accountable. I, personally, have experienced this the one time I detailed here and have not since and hope to not again but want all the information available if it does happen again. I have also felt the despair of being over a manufacturer over their defects but I am still here talking about a honda for a reason....

CB123

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry to hear about the Civic. That really sucks.

Please report back if the problem comes back or stays away after a while.

Dairyshick

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec 6spd
Wow, I just signed on tonight to research this issue because I just started noticing it with my car a few days ago, and I saw this thread almost immediately! I have a 2023 A-spec 6MT with about 13,500 miles on it.

All the same symptoms....mostly noticeable when I get up to 40+mph. The 'sticky' steering in mine seems to be the worst when I'm just going straight and trying to make the very small adjustments to stay in the lane. Fortunately, it hasn't been bad enough to make me feel unsafe up to this point, but it's extremely annoying.

The only new thing I've done to my car recently was add a dashcam. For now, I don't have it hardwired and it's just plugged in through the 'cigarette lighter' power adapter (not sure what it's officially called!). It crossed my mind that maybe somehow that was affecting it, but it seemed crazy. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's playing a role. Either way, I'll definitely be bringing this up to the dealership sooner than later.

I'm going to start taking better notes of what's happening and when. I might even try to mess around with Android Auto and/or the dash cam. I'll post updates if I make any progress.

Thanks to everyone on here for the great info regarding this issue!

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
NHTSA and Honda just announced a recall for 2022-2024 Civic: 23V704. Doesn’t include Integra.

Edit: “Honda (American Honda Motor Co.) is recalling certain 2022-2024 Civic 4-door and Civic 5-door vehicles that received a replacement power steering rack as part of a service repair. The steering rack may have been incorrectly assembled, which can allow the tire to chafe against the lower suspension or tie rod end, possibly resulting in tire damage.”

Sounds like the recall is for failures AFTER the TSB repair.

Last edited:

ManualGearbox68

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Wow, I just signed on tonight to research this issue because I just started noticing it with my car a few days ago, and I saw this thread almost immediately! I have a 2023 A-spec 6MT with about 13,500 miles on it.

All the same symptoms....mostly noticeable when I get up to 40+mph. The 'sticky' steering in mine seems to be the worst when I'm just going straight and trying to make the very small adjustments to stay in the lane. Fortunately, it hasn't been bad enough to make me feel unsafe up to this point, but it's extremely annoying.

The only new thing I've done to my car recently was add a dashcam. For now, I don't have it hardwired and it's just plugged in through the 'cigarette lighter' power adapter (not sure what it's officially called!). It crossed my mind that maybe somehow that was affecting it, but it seemed crazy. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's playing a role. Either way, I'll definitely be bringing this up to the dealership sooner than later.

I'm going to start taking better notes of what's happening and when. I might even try to mess around with Android Auto and/or the dash cam. I'll post updates if I make any progress.

Thanks to everyone on here for the great info regarding this issue!
I would not wait - I had no push back from the dealer once they drove it and experienced the issue. I also have a dashcam (USB powered) and regularly use wireless Android Auto (which was one of the previously mentioned possible causes). After the steering gearbox/EPS motor replacement, I still use those and the car is like new.

AC22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S

I had this issue come up with my 2022 Civic Hatchback ST around December (last year). After a few test drives with a service tech and a few calls to Honda Canada they recommended that they replace the steering rack. It did take a few months to get the parts needed but it did fix the issue immediately. I only kept the car for about 3 months/5000km after the swap (ended up trading for an ITS) but I didn't have any issues with my steering in that time.