• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Post-winter checkup

hypersss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ABP ITS
I put the summer wheels back on a couple weeks ago, and I was curious to see how the most exposed components fared after 5000 km of snow, salt and sand.

My car is parked in a room-temperature garage with very high humidity.

Oil-based rustproofing had been applied by a shop before the winter. This is very thin oil, it's great for inside the doors for example, where it creeps into every corner. On the other hand it's not the most durable option in places that are exposed to a lot of road spray. Next time I change to winter wheels I'll spray some thicker stuff on the rust-prone parts.

Front driver-side suspension, from the front
IMG_9116.JPG

Front driver-side suspension, from the rear
IMG_9115.JPG

Rear driver-side suspension, from above
IMG_9092.JPG

Rear driver-side suspension, from below
IMG_9097.JPG

Exhaust and mufflers.
They don't spray the exhaust cause the oil would just burn off, but it looks like they did spray the mufflers based on the caked-on dirt.
IMG_9096.JPG

Rear rotor and caliper. Shame that the calipers are not fully painted.
IMG_9095.JPG

Rustproofing oil creeping out around the trunk handle
IMG_9138.JPG

OP
OP

hypersss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ABP ITS
Front rotors had some dark circles on them that weren't going away. Decided to pull the pads out to sand them, took quite a bit of sanding to make them look uniform. The dark circles on the rotors are now fading away.

IMG_9054.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

Last edited:

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
I assume this is Eastern Canada?

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
Fair enough, how many kms did you rack up so far?

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Damn I thought I was getting crusty, but then I saw Quebec. We didn't really have a winter down here in southern Onterrible so I'm not looking that bad. You could get some Fluid Film and spray those suspension parts that didn't get coated, especially if you want to take them apart again for upgrades, etc.

This all but guarantees that my car is never seeing a single winter. For your sake I hope it just ascetics and nothing more.
Cars inevitably turn to rust buckets up here. C'est la vie.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
Cars inevitably turn to rust buckets up here. C'est la vie.
To each their own but for me it's too special a car to have it rot away because the morons in charge think salt is the best winter solution.

Mine will not be a full on garage queen, I am going to drive it like it was design for, rain or shine, but it's getting sealed up with desiccants the moment the first snowflake flutters down from the sky.

Like to give people an idea, I want to keep this car to the point where if they ban gas, I'm making my own moonshine fuel and driving it like an outlaw in the cover of night.

OP
OP

hypersss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ABP ITS
Fair enough, how many kms did you rack up so far?
I got the car in mid November so I only put around 1000 km on it before we started getting snow, everything looked brand new at that point. Then 5000 km during the winter.

You could get some Fluid Film and spray those suspension parts that didn't get coated, especially if you want to take them apart again for upgrades, etc.
Haha, Fluid Film is exactly what I ordered yesterday!

This all but guarantees that my car is never seeing a single winter. For your sake I hope it just ascetics and nothing more.
Yeah, it would take many more years before any of this is a problem.

Rust on the rear caliper and the rotor hat is just an appearance thing since they're so visible through the OE wheels. I might try getting some clear high temp paint on there next time I have the wheels off.

Very rusty suspension bolts are inconvenient for a home mechanic, but a garage will just cut them off and replace them

The exhaust is basically a wear item in those conditions, after 6-8 years you start fixing leaks as they occur or you replace the whole thing .

The thick layer of caked-on dirt caused by the rustproofing oil looks messy but it also protects the painted steel parts (like the rear suspension arms) by making it less likely that the paint will get chips where rust could start.

Body corrosion is the real killer... if you let it get to the point where there's obvious rust visible on the outside after 8-10-12 years, there's not much you can do at that point.

I actually forgot to mention the one spot I'm actually concerned about. I removed the front mudguards and saw that rust had started in this hole, same on both sides. I'll be packing that hole full of oil and grease ASAP.

IMG_9065.JPG

moneypal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S White
To each their own but for me it's too special a car to have it rot away because the morons in charge think salt is the best winter solution.

Mine will not be a full on garage queen, I am going to drive it like it was design for, rain or shine, but it's getting sealed up with desiccants the moment the first snowflake flutters down from the sky.

Like to give people an idea, I want to keep this car to the point where if they ban gas, I'm making my own moonshine fuel and driving it like an outlaw in the cover of night.
Saw your reply to my comment in the other thread, but yea this post scared me away from wanting to use my type s in the winter too. Obviously cars are meant to be used. But I too bought this car with the intention of keeping it for life or as long as I possibly can only replacing it if I need to or upgrade to another cooler manual car.

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
Drive it until the earth reclaims it. All of us owners above the rust belt will have to accept this inevitability. It's bittersweet and I don't look forward to that day but I've already come to terms with it.

Lets just all agree not to broach this painful topic again and enjoy these cars today.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Putting the car in a garage at night is the worst for corrosion. Salt will only "work" while temperature is above freezing. If you keep the car out, it will be freezing most of the winter. But in the garage every night, car will be above freezing every night...

I've had my 05 Accord for 18.5 years, and only had to replace the exhaust after 16 years...

Also, rustproofing grease might be better than oil, at least on the undercarriage as it will stick more to the different parts. That what was done on the Accord every year.

Also had a 00 Civic, which I kept for 20 years, and it had no rust after all that time with the same treatment.

OP
OP

hypersss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ABP ITS
Putting the car in a garage at night is the worst for corrosion.
No doubt! I'm in a condo building, so if I wasn't using the garage I'd have to deal with street parking.

Upside is that I never have to scrape off snow/ice for a quick run to the grocery store.

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
No doubt! I'm in a condo building, so if I wasn't using the garage I'd have to deal with street parking.

Upside is that I never have to scrape off snow/ice for a quick run to the grocery store.
If you can, switch to a grease rust proofing. It'll help a lot. Don't know where you are located, but Antirouille Laprairie did a wonderful job on my car. Costs a bit more, but is supposed to last for 2-3 years. Think it was 350$. Only part they don't put the stuff is under the hood not to mess up with a sensor. I bought a small can of rust proofing at Canadian Tire and did the brake modulator and fluid reservoir connectors, and all gas/brake/clutch lines that I could reach from above and under the car.

OP
OP

hypersss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ABP ITS
Don't know where you are located, but Antirouille Laprairie did a wonderful job on my car.
Thanks for the ref. That one's far from home, but I'll definitely look into small shops that do a more thorough job than the big chains.