• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Honda Prelude concept

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
OP
OP
ckone2030

ckone2030

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2024 BMW M3 Competition

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
The most recent information on the Prelude that it will be a hybrid and not a full EV. And since there has been no additional information on the specs, we can always dream that Honda will have a manual version for this car.
Did the CRZ come in a manual? I know the insight did.
I just checked and the CRZ was offered in a manual and CVT. So there's hope for this hybrid as long as they give it enough go juice.

Last edited:

ender_ong

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 Ridgeline RTLE white/black, 24 DE5 white/black

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Did the CRZ come in a manual? I know the insight did.
I just checked and the CRZ was offered in a manual and CVT. So there's hope for this hybrid as long as they give it enough go juice.
The only issue with a manual for the Prelude is that Honda's current hybrid setup is far different from the IMA system the CRZ used where the hybrid component acted as more of a secondary boost to the gas engine, with the engine still doing the majority of the work, allowing for stepped gears.

The new honda hybrid system acts more like an EV with a built in generator. The electric motors drive the wheels 100% with the gas engine keeping the battery charged. They only run together during freeway speeds and under heavy acceleration to give the most power.

If honda wants to implement a manual (and honestly if anyone would, it would be Honda), they would need to use a different hybrid setup where the electric motors would be secondary to the main gas engine driving the wheels. Not impossible, but not sure honda will be willing to put that much new R&D money into what will assumedly be a fairly affordable but very niche vehicle with low sales.

Assuming they want to keep this car attainable to the widest audience possible, much like the integra, they'll want to keep prices under $40k, hence probably using mostly parts they have on hand in terms of the tech, platform, powertrain, suspension, etc. The only thing really 100% unique will be the sheet metal. Just my guess however. I think Prelude will be much more successful as a $30-$35k Toyobaru competitor than it would a $50-60k supra/Z competitor.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
The only issue with a manual for the Prelude is that Honda's current hybrid setup is far different from the IMA system the CRZ used where the hybrid component acted as more of a secondary boost to the gas engine, with the engine still doing the majority of the work, allowing for stepped gears.

The new honda hybrid system acts more like an EV with a built in generator. The electric motors drive the wheels 100% with the gas engine keeping the battery charged. They only run together during freeway speeds and under heavy acceleration to give the most power.

If honda wants to implement a manual (and honestly if anyone would, it would be Honda), they would need to use a different hybrid setup where the electric motors would be secondary to the main gas engine driving the wheels. Not impossible, but not sure honda will be willing to put that much new R&D money into what will assumedly be a fairly affordable but very niche vehicle with low sales.

Assuming they want to keep this car attainable to the widest audience possible, much like the integra, they'll want to keep prices under $40k, hence probably using mostly parts they have on hand in terms of the tech, platform, powertrain, suspension, etc. The only thing really 100% unique will be the sheet metal. Just my guess however. I think Prelude will be much more successful as a $30-$35k Toyobaru competitor than it would a $50-60k supra/Z competitor.
This is really good insight.

I think there may be some thinly veiled suggestion in some of the marketing dialogue that the "Prelude" is a taste of what's to come. In this sense it would make total sense for Honda to get out ahead of the next generation of enthusiast-oriented vehicles and use the Prelude as a test bed for engineering a new hybrid system geared towards a more sports-inclined customer base.

One can dream at least. If Honda doesn't do it, someone has to, right? That's just too much addressable market leaving ignored, especially considering Honda's built-in enthusiast fanbase... a manual transmission HEV would be a HUGE step forward in that regard...

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is really good insight.

I think there may be some thinly veiled suggestion in some of the marketing dialogue that the "Prelude" is a taste of what's to come. In this sense it would make total sense for Honda to get out ahead of the next generation of enthusiast-oriented vehicles and use the Prelude as a test bed for engineering a new hybrid system geared towards a more sports-inclined customer base.

One can dream at least. If Honda doesn't do it, someone has to, right? That's just too much addressable market leaving ignored, especially considering Honda's built-in enthusiast fanbase... a manual transmission HEV would be a HUGE step forward in that regard...
As I said, if anyone will do it, Honda will. They've also stated that they won't go the route toyota/lexus is planning with totally faked manuals. So there is always a chance this could be the introduction of new hybrid tech that could trickle into next gen CTR etc in offering a manual (or something akin to a manual).

Honda's CEO said to keep expectation high for the prelude, definitely marketing speak, but in my mind high expectations would include the following:

- affordable price point
- competitive performance (we know honda can nail handling, can they get the power right too?)
- Next gen tech (Honda is one of the makers slated to adopt Apple Carplay 2.0 plus they have the new google infotainment system in the accord they could put in too)
- offering a manual or something akin to a manual
- entering the market late next year as a 2025 model 98% same as the "concept" in appearance

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No love for the Prologue?
The Prologue / ZDX are just Honda/Acura versions of the Chevy Blazer EV.

Not that they're bad, but not exactly as exciting as a new sports coupe, heavy EV crossovers are becoming a dime a dozen. GM's effect on future reliability for the Prologue/ZDX will be interesting to see.

Once Honda starts working on their own EV platforms I'd be more interested, but given that they already backed out of the deal with GM to co-develop affordable EV platforms for the near future tells me Honda isn't going to be going all in on EV's quite yet due to EV sales slumping recently.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here's some possibly new info via Burlapper and images caught of the interior of the prelude concept, as well as the potential that it will be a liftback.

https://burlappcar.com/2023/10/new-honda-prelude-secrets.html

I sort of suspected the prelude *might* possibly be a liftback given the small and high trunk opening (like the integra). The shots on Burlapper of the back window show what looks like thick support pillars behind the rear glass.

Another shot through the driver side window shows a very civic-like interior (granted this could be just placeholder materials and not the final version of the interior).

But the possibility that the prelude might be a liftback coupe, for me, makes it an even more attractive prospect as my future vehicle as I always wished my civic coupe had had a liftback as it would make the rear storage so much easier to use/access when needed, and truly could make the prelude an ideal option for those that had hoped for an Integra coupe, this will be the closest we will probably get. I know on a couple of youtube videos they had mentioned that they *could* in theory repurpose the Prelude as an integra coupe, but I don't see honda/acura selling two low volume niche coupes.

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think I can see myself ever owning an electric car. A hybrid, maybe. I’ve driven and or ridden in teslas and the new lightning and I feel there is such a lack of “emotion” when driving them. I also think EV’s and this massive push towards them is one of the biggest farces to ever be pushed on mankind, but that’s a discussion for another time and place.

Midnight_VTEC

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5 Integra Type S
EV’s aren’t sustainable, if anything the hybrid model makes far more sense in the long run and blend best of both worlds.