• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Initial ownership happiness by brand...

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Why do you think Acura did so poorly this year?
Screenshot_20231127-110718.png

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I feel like the Integra is a special case and should be grouped with Honda since it's heavily based on the Civic and is more similar to other Hondas than other Acuras.

Edit: that said, I bet the subpar dealer experiences we all have heard about (especially with the ITS) have helped drive those numbers down (not sure whether or not that is factored in).

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 NSX, 2024 Civic Type R
This isn't really "happiness" but rather the number of reported defects within some early time frame after delivery. There are cars which are terrible quality but people put up with it because they like them anyway. JD Power has been around for several decades and they do publish some information here.
https://www.jdpower.com/business/our-benchmarking-study-methodology

PRDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Integra Type S
I see these as political polls, candidate A is always ahead of candidate B! According to some poll that who knows if anyone actually voted. I’ve never been asked to vote on a political poll vote.

OP
OP
ChromaPop

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
This isn't really "happiness" but rather the number of reported defects within some early time frame after delivery. There are cars which are terrible quality but people put up with it because they like them anyway. JD Power has been around for several decades and they do publish some information here.
https://www.jdpower.com/business/our-benchmarking-study-methodology
I understood it to also be overall satisfaction with the vehicle in the first 90 days or so, which can include design, features and more, thus happiness factors.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
"Studies" without a detailed breakdown of the data and metrics used, how it was gathered, etc. etc. are almost entirely useless, and likely misleading.
This. If you look at the criteria something like your phone not connecting properly is considered a "problem". Should be grouped into three sub groups (Powertrain, Body, Infotainment). Things that can be software updated are still problems, but it's not the same as getting a lemon with an engine problem.

I believe this is why luxury brands are generally overrepresented in the lower half. Probably all the bells and whistles that have a gremlin or two in there.

Also, I had to laugh, Alfa Romeo at #2, I guess breaking down as you pull into the road from the dealership lot doesn't count as "initial quality".

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
This. If you look at the criteria something like your phone not connecting properly is considered a "problem". Should be grouped into three sub groups (Powertrain, Body, Infotainment). Things that can be software updated are still problems, but it's not the same as getting a lemon with an engine problem.

I believe this is why luxury brands are generally overrepresented in the lower half. Probably all the bells and whistles that have a gremlin or two in there.

Also, I had to laugh, Alfa Romeo at #2, I guess breaking down as you pull into the road from the dealership lot doesn't count as "initial quality".
Exactly, I've seen some of the metrics JD Power uses and even participated in a few surveys, and it's pretty arbitrary how they come to these conclusions.

wagood

First Name
Aidan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Integra 6MT
From the 2023 report on the jd powah website

“The continuing decline in quality can be attributed to multiple factors such as greater usage and penetration of technology; continued integration of known problematic audio systems into other new models; poor sounding horns; cupholders that don’t serve their purpose”

I too dislike cupholders that can’t fit anything bigger than a 16.9 oz plastic water bottle. If that being equal to a complete engine rebuild is what it takes for manufacturers to address it then so be it. \s

There are a lot more goodies on the their website here. Goes into a little more detail but I couldn’t see a complete breakdown of what issues and number of issues per vehicle.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Can I still drive and enjoy my ITS you bet...the people have spoken...do you think JD Power made this up?...they send out surveys and then publish the results...

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
03 S2000 original owner, 24 ITS ABP/Ebony
If you ever receive a JP Power survey in the mail, save it for a "rainy day". Put it in your back pocket when you go to the service dept. to have them fix something under warranty. If they are uncooperative, wave the survey in front of them and ask "how do you want me to fill this out?" It worked in the past for me.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Hilarious. I had a deposit down on a Polestar 2 about a year ago and cancelled it after hearing of all the problems pretty much everyone who owned one inevitably experienced. Top of the list was the 4G/GPS module needing to be replaced only to fail again and again, crippling the car each time. Drive units failing in driveways for no reason and needing a tow. Owners got to know their service managers on a first name basis. So glad I backed out of that mess.

So many problems could be down to flaky systems that don't affect reliability, like infotainment needing a reboot every so often (I wish Honda had this as a menu option that wasn't hidden.) I am going to have to bring her in for a steering rack soon so add +1 to the survey. I still think J.D. Chrysler and Associates are deep in the pockets of Detroit.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Can I still drive and enjoy my ITS you bet...the people have spoken...do you think JD Power made this up?...they send out surveys and then publish the results...
They may as well make it up, yes.

Vague, redundant questions on a survey is not a good way to collect data. Then to attribute some idiot boomer not being able to figure out how to pair his phone with "initial quality" is how they make their living. Like many organizations, they find a way to monetize misinformation.

Most people don't stop to think about these things, they just trust the results. Sound familiar? It's the American way. If you want to see the facts that align to your worldview, you'll find a way. Not saying JD Power has an agenda to spin the results of their surveys, but in the end they publish "results" that aren't backed by good data, and don't really provide the insight they advertise.

Ignorance is bliss.