• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How easily is your Integra Type S getting rock chips?

sparky42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
My new Integra Type S is arriving this week and I’m still on the fence about PPF. I’ve never had it on previous cars and have been fine with the occasional rock chip, but my FK8 Civic Type R that I bought used with 30k miles has always been riddled with them. Most of my previous cars have been German and I hear they have much more durable paint than Honda/Acura.

For those of you without PPF, how bad have the rock chips been?

Fanatic

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Honda Civic Type R
If you're really particular about it, I would at least do the high impact areas.

I personally don't mind the normal wear and tear, and I don't keep cars for a long time judging from my history, although it can be worth the investment if one is up for it. Rock chips can happen no matter how hard I try, although I do try to keep adequate space from cars and trucks in front of me to help minimize... Especially on the highways and at higher speeds. If you track your car, PPF can definitely pay off.

Good luck with the decision.

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
Not noticeable but its not my queen I have been getting a lot of rock chips on the windshield though. The windshield is tinted.

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
I don’t have any noticeable chips. No ppf and I’ve also tracked it. Drive it daily as well, 50 miles. I can’t justify paying 2-4k for a ppf that won’t really do anything value wise. I probably am in the minority with this opinion, but I don’t mind an imperfect car. I expect some rude person to door ding me at any moment even though I do park as far away as I can :)

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Seems multiple times a week I have gravel trucks or dumps trucks in front of me just throwing gravel. In my case I say it's a necessity. I did hood, fenders, bumper, and A-pillars. I did take a rock on the roof line by the windshield and it chipped. I guess I should had gotten that done as well. I'm surprised I haven't cracked a windshield with the amount of rocks it picks up.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
I live in colorado and there's a large amount of debris that gets on the road especially during winter months. My previous cars have gotten sand blasted.

I opted to go with full body PPF; but I am keeping this car long term. I want it to be in pristine condition as much as possible

OP
OP

sparky42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I live in colorado and there's a large amount of debris that gets on the road especially during winter months. My previous cars have gotten sand blasted.

I opted to go with full body PPF; but I am keeping this car long term. I want it to be in pristine condition as much as possible
I'm in a similar position as I live in Littleton, CO. The winter debris you mentioned is my main concern as well. On the other hand, I have a short commute on back roads and don't spend much time on the highways around Denver.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback. Seems like people are split on PPF. I've never had it and never thought it was worth the cost before, but this is the first car that feels truly special to me. I plan on keeping it for a long time as my last chance to own fun, manual, reliable, daily driveable car before bowing down to the electric overlords. I'm also not as picky about keeping cars pristine these days and mostly want to enjoy driving it.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
You should expect your car to get as many rock chips as your FK8 did. Not sure how or why it would be much different. If the imperfections caused by debris hitting the car haven't bothered you much in the past, save your money. Since you've never had PPF before I presume it doesn't bother you that much.

FooBird

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS PWP, 2014 Tacoma
I had PPF put on my Integra. My 9th gen Civic looked like it was sandblasted because of the debris picked up on rainy days here in the PNW.

I don’t want that to happen on my Integra, so I’m protecting. Have full front hood, fenders, and mirror coverage as those are the worst places for chips.

OP
OP

sparky42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
You should expect your car to get as many rock chips as your FK8 did. Not sure how or why it would be much different. If the imperfections caused by debris hitting the car haven't bothered you much in the past, save your money. Since you've never had PPF before I presume it doesn't bother you that much.
My FK8 had loads of rock chips from the previous owner. I have no idea if the previous owner tailgated everyone, frequently tracked the car, or if Honda paint is just fragile compared to other cars I've owned.

All of my used Audis and BMW only had a small handful of chips (something I consider tolerable) after anywhere from 45k-100k miles; My FK8 easily has 100+ chips of various sizes on the bumper, hood, headlights, and black trim. Even the front Honda badge has about a dozen chips and a few small star cracks from rocks. I would like to assume this is not the norm for other 35k mile Type Rs.

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
My FK8 had loads of rock chips from the previous owner. I have no idea if the previous owner tailgated everyone, frequently tracked the car, or if Honda paint is just fragile compared to other cars I've owned.

All of my used Audis and BMW only had a small handful of chips (something I consider tolerable) after anywhere from 45k-100k miles; My FK8 easily has 100+ chips of various sizes on the bumper, hood, headlights, and black trim. Even the front Honda badge has about a dozen chips and a few small star cracks from rocks. I would like to assume this is not the norm for other 35k mile Type Rs.
A handful of chips for 45K-100K miles is amazing. I lived in Colorado years ago and the two vehicles (Acura RSX Type S and Subaru WRX STi) took on many more rock chips than a handful in far fewer miles than you've had. Teach me your driving ways.:respect:

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
Acura/Honda paint is certainly not the quality of the premium European brands. Knowing that, I still didn't get PPF as I don't need my car to look perfect. However, for someone who wants to avoid all blemishes, I would say PPF is more important with this brand than your past makes.

OP
OP

sparky42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
A handful of chips for 45K-100K miles is amazing. I lived in Colorado years ago and the two vehicles (Acura RSX Type S and Subaru WRX STi) took on many more rock chips than a handful in far fewer miles than you've had. Teach me your driving ways.:respect:
Haha. Maybe the paint on my Audis and BMW really was just more durable. I always hear German paint is better quality. I can't really say since the FK8 was my first non German car with a decent number of miles. I'm too tall for most Japanese cars.

I hope you're enjoying your FL5. My FK8 has been my favorite car by quite a margin.

PizzaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I debated a lot getting PPF. Never had it on my previous cars. I usually never owned one long enough to notice the long term effects. But my latest car before the ITS has a lot of chips all over the front after 130k miles. I was really close to getting it but decided not to. I have a few minor chips already after 5k miles. Nothing that bothers me though. Hard to tell how bad it will be longer term though. I just drive extra cautiously nowadays.

But the thing that really bothers me more than the chips is the damage to the intercooler fins. I have so many little dents in them already. There is almost zero protection for those poor little things. No mesh like the CTR at least.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I feel like the whole "German paint better" argument is nonsense... but damned if the only car I ever had trouble with paint getting nicked up wasn't a Subaru. I did do mostly highway miles on that car but it was peppered with rock chips by 8k miles.

The only other cars I've owned long enough to comment on either had PPF or didn't have an issue with rock chips. They were also all German, except this one.

This one has full PPF on the front of the car... but not before I picked up one significant rock chip on the front bumper. Fortunately you can't see it unless you pretty much look for it... but it happened at less than 300 miles... I think it was actually ON THE WAY to get the PPF done.

I wasn't actually going to do it on this car... but I like the paint so much more than I thought I would (same can be said for the car), I decided to splurge. If you feel that way about the car then it's a worthy investment, assuming you can spare the cash.