• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hill Start, Hill stop, E-brake

Viraltempo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Civic, Integra Type S
Just bought a Type S, it's on the truck and haven't taken delivery yet. I'm nervous and scouring the web on re-learning how to drive manual.

For some context, last time I drove manual was 20 years ago in a 1000cc engine hatch with a real handbrake. In that type of car I had to pull the handbrake, which gave me time to give it enough gas in the little engine to pull away and not stall/roll back. In this type of car, it did not have a hill assist feature.

I am both unfamiliar with how the hill assist works in a manual and how things change with the e-brake. I also happen to live in an area with quite a few steep hills (I know LOL). How does it differ driving on hills / stopping on hills in traffic etc with an E-brake + hill assist feature? Does the hill assist feature kick in if it senses that the car will roll back? Does it kick in when it starts to roll a bit and your foot leaves the brake pedal? How if any is the e-brake different from the real handbrake of old with utilization on steep hills?

I know that I'll have to practice on a quiet hill, but I also need to be able to get home from the dealer (1.5 hour drive mostly highway). Any input is appreciated.

nix6speed

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LCM ITS
You're way overthinking this. When you get in the car press brake hold button. When you're on a hill and apply brakes you can take your foot off the pedals. Brake hold keeps brakes applied. Then when you're ready to move clutch in and go.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I love brake hold. I know manual cars in last 10ish years had something maybe called hill hold but I never had it.

In this car it's brake hold, and you have to turn it on every time you start the car. It is a dedicated physical button so you don't have to dig through menus to get to it. You do have to have your foot on the brake when you press the button in order for it to engage.

It also keeps your brake lights lit which I think is helpful and probably safer than sitting stopped without them on.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Hill assist is always on and helps with smaller inclines. If it's a large hill then brake hold is extremely handy. Also great at stop lights

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
To add to this: hill assist only works when you're uphill and in first gear, or downhill and in reverse (and on a steep enough incline). Also it only holds it for a second or two.

If you get into the habit of turning on brake hold (the button next to your e-brake switch), it will always hold the brakes regardless of incline and will continue holding them until you start moving via clutch and gas.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Hill assist is always on and helps with smaller inclines.
Didn't know we had this. Early when I got the car I "looked" (felt?) for it but don't feel like I've ever experienced it. I'll have to try some more situations. Either way, I love brake hold.

mopar_man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S, Durango R/T, Civic Si
I don’t think you’re going to have issues driving this. I find it incredibly difficult to stall (I haven’t done it once in 2+ months). I am actually probably going to teach a teenage child how to drive manual in this car because of how good the clutch engagement and low end is as far as getting the car moving from a stop.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Thanks for all the responses. Technology is a wonderful thing.
Yeah with the brake hold and rev match it really makes driving a manual simple.

Last_ICE

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I'm in San Francisco, and relearning manual here on the Type S was probably as challenging as it gets, give the combo of steep hills and traffic. You def want to get handy with Brake Hold, and don't be afraid to hit the e-brake too, if you get flustered or stall.

Whatever you do, while you are in Brake Hold on a steep hill with someone behind you, don't let out the clutch without bringing up the throttle. Releasing the clutch releases the Brake Hold.

Finally, if you do get flustered, don't be afraid to throw on your Hazards and wave the person behind you around. There is no shame in taking a beat and getting the proximate car out of the way.

Just bought a Type S, it's on the truck and haven't taken delivery yet. I'm nervous and scouring the web on re-learning how to drive manual.

. . .

OP
OP

Viraltempo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Civic, Integra Type S
On the topic of rev match. Usually I would have had to downshift each gear. With how rev matching works could you possibly go from like 5th gear to 3rd gear and skip 4th since the software does it for you?

Justpassedu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000 , Pilot , 4Runner
love the brake hold feature. I recently started using it at lights and traffic jams.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
On the topic of rev match. Usually I would have had to downshift each gear. With how rev matching works could you possibly go from like 5th gear to 3rd gear and skip 4th since the software does it for you?
Yes, and you can do this without auto rev-matching, too, so long as you manually match revs w. throttle blips.

I have always done this in all my manual cars.

akoza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Yes, just make sure you don't hold the clutch in too long after shifting, otherwise the RPMs will drop back down. I find that the sweet spot is about a second. The car will sense whichever gear you pick and rev to the appropriate RPM and hold it there for a second or two.
I haven't tested this, but I believe it will not rev match if you money shift (5 to 2 for example, where the RPMs would be past redline). So if it's not rev matching, double check what gear you're in before letting off lol.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Yes it matches any gear change down .. within the engines rpm limitations.. no protection from money shifting once ya drop that clutch. But with rev match you will hear and see the rpms jump which could notify you..