• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FL5 to DE5

Ministry

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S (DE5), FL5(sold)
Whelp, I did it. Traded in my 10-month-8k-mile FL5 for a new DE5.

After some intense deliberations, I ultimately landed a deal that netted a $$ wash. I found a dealer that was extremely aggressive on the trade and kept the markup in check which was surprising in this region (socal).

After driving it for a week, I feel really good about the decision. About the only thing I miss are the seats. The DE5’s are fine and growing on me but man the FL5 seats fit me like a tailored suit and will be missed.

I won’t go into detailed comparison’s, as there’s already a bunch of info already out there, but I really do feel the DE5’s differences really weighed in. From the more substantial like overall styling, suspension, stereo, leather interior, exhaust (omg the exhaust) to the less notable things like parking sensors, heads up display, and sunglass holders there was enough there to swing me over. I love the platform and the DE5 just makes more sense for someone in my demographic.

Without further ado, here she is:
Integra3.jpg

Gone but not forgotten:

12.jpg

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I'll chime in that you made the right choice. It's a more grown up version of the car you already know you love.

Well done on not losing money, that would be the critical component for me were I in your position.

Enjoy! The exhaust does continue to surprise me, even a month into ownership.

NecroFIesh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra & '07 S2000
Congratulations Dave, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

-G

wontondon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
DE5, MK7 GTI
Whelp, I did it. Traded in my 10-month-8k-mile FL5 for a new DE5.

After some intense deliberations, I ultimately landed a deal that netted a $$ wash. I found a dealer that was extremely aggressive on the trade and kept the markup in check which was surprising in this region (socal).

After driving it for a week, I feel really good about the decision. About the only thing I miss are the seats. The DE5’s are fine and growing on me but man the FL5 seats fit me like a tailored suit and will be missed.

I won’t go into detailed comparison’s, as there’s already a bunch of info already out there, but I really do feel the DE5’s differences really weighed in. From the more substantial like overall styling, suspension, stereo, leather interior, exhaust (omg the exhaust) to the less notable things like parking sensors, heads up display, and sunglass holders there was enough there to swing me over. I love the platform and the DE5 just makes more sense for someone in my demographic.

Without further ado, here she is:
Integra3.jpg

Gone but not forgotten:

12.jpg
Interested in your thoughts on the suspension/driving experience differences between the 2 if you care to elaborate. Otherwise congratulations!

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase! The DE5 looks great in many of the colors but the blue is super nice. Good for you being able to get a wash on the swap. Enjoy the car in good health!

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
Congrats but I have to say I am jealous. 2023 FL5 are readily available in my region but all allocated DE5's are already preordered with deposit.. I put my deposit down nearly 2 months ago for the TEP/Orchid build (supposed to be aug build) and no signs of delivery at least to my dealership. 3 others currently in transit.
How did you simply trade in? I mean was it a preorder that someone was denied financing or some other string of luck? is the availability really that different depending on region?

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 RS3, 2023 Type R
I'd definitely be interested in more thoughts as you have them.

My perfect car would be an FL5 (prefer the looks, seats, build quality, shorter length) with heated seats + ITS exhaust and suspension. Since that doesn't exist, I'll have to go one way or the other if I end up grabbing one.

OP
OP
Ministry

Ministry

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S (DE5), FL5(sold)
Congrats but I have to say I am jealous. 2023 FL5 are readily available in my region but all allocated DE5's are already preordered with deposit.. I put my deposit down nearly 2 months ago for the TEP/Orchid build (supposed to be aug build) and no signs of delivery at least to my dealership. 3 others currently in transit.
How did you simply trade in? I mean was it a preorder that someone was denied financing or some other string of luck? is the availability really that different depending on region?
The Type S I bought is an oddball and probably has an unknown backstory and I was shocked when it came available. It has a super low VIN (under 100) and shows a build date of May with only 7 miles, so not a demo. The dealer told me it was a cancelled reservation that may have been held up for QC reasons but was not able to provide further details.

OP
OP
Ministry

Ministry

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S (DE5), FL5(sold)

My perfect car would be an FL5 (prefer the looks, seats, build quality, shorter length) with heated seats + ITS exhaust and suspension. Since that doesn't exist, I'll have to go one way or the other if I end up grabbing one.
Sure I have a few. I strongly prefer the looks of the Type S and, being the more premium brand, was a major factor. Also, that I could swap with no loss of $ kind of made it a no brainer.

So far I don't see any differences in build quality and if there is, the Type S is favored imo. I had a recall done because of the seats and battled a noisy interior and blown speakers in the FL5. Length difference is non remarkable.

I personally like the FL5 but had issues with my immediate circle (family, friends, co-workers) as not many, including my wife, really understood my purchase of a civic given my age, income, and past vehicle history. I had also planned on more track days in the FL5 that really never materialized because of my busy schedule. The Type S is the better daily and ticked more boxes.

I reached a point where I was either going to start dumping money in the FL5 (exhaust and suspension) or go another car route and chose the latter. At the end they are both great choices.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
How dare you trade CTR for ITS didn’t they tell you one car is better than the other…??? Just kidding. I don’t really get the in-fighting as Civic and Integra are practically brothers and Honda/Acura is the same thing. Integra was the first with the type R badge initially.

It is the other car brand enthusiasts that usually fish hate towards Honda and acuras. CTR is great, I’m glad we have a choice with a slightly different setup and styling. This helps enhance the brands, FWD, performance, experience and making ICE engines great again. Enjoy the ITS

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I get it with the subjective looks, seats... and I guess "shorter length"?, but the build quality being superior is at best conjecture at this point. Maybe after a lot more data is extracted that offers quantifiable, objective insight into measurable factors that contribute to build quality, this whole "CTR is better because Japan" thing exists only in your mind.

Sure I have a few. I strongly prefer the looks of the Type S and, being the more premium brand, was a major factor. Also, that I could swap with no loss of $ kind of made it a no brainer.

So far I don't see any differences in build quality and if there is, the Type S is favored imo. I had a recall done because of the seats and battled a noisy interior and blown speakers in the FL5. Length difference is non remarkable.

I personally like the FL5 but had issues with my immediate circle (family, friends, co-workers) as not many, including my wife, really understood my purchase of a civic given my age, income, and past vehicle history. I had also planned on more track days in the FL5 that really never materialized because of my busy schedule. The Type S is the better daily and ticked more boxes.

I reached a point where I was either going to start dumping money in the FL5 (exhaust and suspension) or go another car route and chose the latter. At the end they are both great choices.
This is great insight, and I think is relevant to many of us on this board. There are at least two different types of demographics for this vehicle- the folks who are looking to "upscale" to a premium "luxury sports car", and the folks who are looking to "downscale" to something more practical and usable than a dedicated sports car. For the latter, it's a pretty easy choice at this point. The Acura very clearly presents a much more attractive overall package, and it all starts with the design.

There's no other real way to say this so I won't try to really pull any punches- but for many of us, the thought of owning a Civic is actually laughable. Whether it's us directly, or our spouses, family members, friends, co-workers, etc. It's probably worthy of its own th(esis paper)read, but it's a reality many of us face who are let's just say 35+ with successful careers. No one who isn't an Initial D superfan ever considered a Civic as an aspirational vehicle.

Full disclosure, my wife strongly objected to the idea of me trading my 718 in for a Civic. But she actually had no issues with the Type S, and praised my foresight and pragmatism.

Perception is reality is all I'm saying, and a Civic with a wing is still... a Civic.

You also get Acura service and an extra year of warranty too.

OP
OP
Ministry

Ministry

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S (DE5), FL5(sold)
Interested in your thoughts on the suspension/driving experience differences between the 2 if you care to elaborate. Otherwise congratulations!
Driving experience is similar but there are some subtle differences. For suspension settings, I locked the FL5 in comfort (R+ was comically stiff and not useable under any circumstance even in aggressive driving and track day scenarios) and rotate between sport and comfort in the DE5. Useable suspension settings makes the DE5 feel a bit more dual-purposed. The steering feels identical.

I find the DE5 much more engaging to drive because of the notably better throttle response and glorious exhaust note. The FL5 sounds downright pathetic and embarrassing in comparison, so from and audio standpoint, they feel like different cars. The shifter does feel a bit different with the DE5 feeling a bit more notchy but that's likely because my FL5 was well broken in when I traded in.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(R+ was comically stiff and not useable under any circumstance even in aggressive driving and track day scenarios)
You just reminded me of the B9.5 RS5 I had. Some YouTubers referenced it too- that car had the same situation where the firmest factory suspension setting was just ridiculously overdamped, to the point of literally laugh-out-loud moments as soon as you turn it on. So it isn't exclusive to Honda!

At least with the RS5 they apparently solved that problem with the RS5 Competition by giving it pretty much full-on racing dampers. I wonder if Honda would follow suit?

What comes after Type R? Type R+? Type RR? Type R Competition??

Seems like swapping to the ITS ADS module has become a go-to mod, based off feedback from the Civic forums.

Also I can add that I've noticed the shifter "settle down" a bit over the 1600 miles I've driven in mine. Reverse is still a bit stiff but even that has gotten better over time... and the exhaust has actually continued to get better. Might be my imagination, but it wouldn't be the first car I've had for the exhaust to also "settle in" after about 1500 miles or so. It doesn't sound like a different car or anything, but it's more... noticeable than I think it was when brand new. I'm not sure what the science is behind this. Maybe I'm full of shit.

YMMV.

OP
OP
Ministry

Ministry

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S (DE5), FL5(sold)
I actually tried to order the ITS ADS module, but it was perpetually on backorder so to me, wasn't a viable solution. After waiting over a month, my last comm with an online Acura dealer had them asking me for an ITS VIN to re-order making me believe Honda/Acura may have caught on.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I actually tried to order the ITS ADS module, but it was perpetually on backorder so to me, wasn't a viable solution. After waiting over a month, my last comm with an online Acura dealer had them asking me for an ITS VIN to re-order making me believe Honda/Acura may have caught on.
Interesting. You'd think someone would come up with a software solution soon, if not already.

edit- While clearly not a software solution, maybe we all should petition DSC sport to make a module for the FL5/DE5? I had one in my 991.2 and it made a HUGE difference in both comfort and performance.

https://www.dscsport.com/