• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Detailer damaged infotainment screen but I made it worse (2024 Integra A Spec Tech)

user6644

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra
First off, I got my windshield tinted, by what i thought was the best of the best. I paid roughly 1400 with tip to get all windows and windshield tinted with IR/UV ceramic tints. I paid significantly more than other places I got quotes from because this place had the best reviews. I got Stek Nex 70 tint all around.

The detailer, took my parking sticker from my windshield, and put it on my f**king infotainment screen. It left a significant amount of residue, but I didn't think anything of it and drove home. I figured I would just use some rubbing alcohol on it when I got home. No big deal.

I managed to get the sticker residue off but now my screen is blotchy. Im so pissed that I didn't confront the detailer about the issue, and tried to fix it on my own. I didn't know that it would be a bad idea to try and use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticker goo. I'm not sure there is a lot i can do. The screen looks fine unless the light hits it a certain way and you can clearly see that the coating is damaged on the screen. I can just get a screen protector from amazon and call it a day i suppose.

I can't really blame the detailer now as I left without confronting them on their fuck up and i made it worse trying to clean it myself.

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
It's $500 to get all windows tinted including the windshield. I thought those oil change stickers were harmless.

Last edited:

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Where in the south west are you that 500.00 will get you a quality tint job?

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
Where in the south west are you that 500.00 will get you a quality tint job?
Nowhere. $500 will get you a non-color stable film that will bubble and turn purple in a few years time, maybe less.

On a side note, OP - why are you tipping your film installer?

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I can just get a screen protector from amazon and call it a day i suppose.

I can't really blame the detailer now as I left without confronting them on their fuck up and i made it worse trying to clean it myself.
It was dumb of the dealer to do anything with that sticker other than throw it away (I hate that dealerships apply these to begin with), but I suspect the alcohol and/or cloth you used sanded the finish off the screen--it's easy to do unfortunately, but that part they're not responsible for.

Before you lose more sleep over it, see if one of these will mask the damage:

https://www.amazon.com/LFOTPP-Navig...x=civic+infotainment+glas,aps,186&sr=8-2&th=1

I installed one in my FL5 and wish I had gotten them for all my infotainment screens.

Emunoz

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LCM ITS
1400 is crazy ridiculous anywhere in the states for a small sedan. Front or no front
. Anyways I also wouldn't be on here admitting you did anything and go back to the dealer and tell them the sticker messed it up point blank.. and delete this if you paid 1400 they better fix it for you

Clark_Kent

Threads
Reaction score
1400 is crazy ridiculous anywhere in the states for a small sedan. Front or no front
. Anyways I also wouldn't be on here admitting you did anything and go back to the dealer and tell them the sticker messed it up point blank.. and delete this if you paid 1400 they better fix it for you
It is high, but that price includes the OP's tip. Might've broken them off with the standard 20%.:dunno:

OP
OP

user6644

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra
It's $500 to get all windows tinted including the windshield. I thought those oil change stickers were harmless.
I had a couple of quotes for tints from a couple of different shops, between 900 - 1200. I wanted to get IR ceramic tints for heat rejection. I should not have tipped.

These tints are on the more expensive side.
https://www.stek-usa.com/window-tint/nexseries/

This wasn't a dealer sticker, it was a parking sticker for parking at my apartment.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
First off, I got my windshield tinted, by what i thought was the best of the best. I paid roughly 1400 with tip to get all windows and windshield tinted with IR/UV ceramic tints. I paid significantly more than other places I got quotes from because this place had the best reviews. I got Stek Nex 70 tint all around.

The detailer took my parking sticker from my windshield, and put it on my f**king infotainment screen. It left a significant amount of residue, but I didn't think anything of it and drove home. I figured I would just use some rubbing alcohol on it when I got home. No big deal.

I managed to get the sticker residue off but now my screen is blotchy. I'm so pissed that I didn't confront the detailer about the issue and tried to fix it on my own. I didn't know that it would be a bad idea to try and use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticker goo. I'm not sure there is a lot i can do. The screen looks fine unless the light hits it a certain way and you can clearly see that the coating is damaged on the screen. I can just get a screen protector from amazon and call it a day i suppose.

Hey man, don't be too hard on yourself, we live, and we learn, at least you lived.
Now, you can look into screen restoration methods that might be available for this type of thing, not sure there is anything, but that is where I would look.
As you said, it doesn't affect the use of the screen.
I would still go back with the car, talk to someone calmly, explain the same thing you did here, "look, I chose you guys because I thought this is where I would find the best service and quality work, someone did the following, why would they do that? and what am I supposed to do about it now?"
IMO, it is worth shot, find out if they are as good as the reviews say, workmanship is part of it, but so is how they handle after sale items like this with customers, when they screw up, a reputable shop fixes its mistakes.
I would give them a chance to make it right for you.

gregbutler_20

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Acura Integra, 22 ILX (sold).
Did you also post this on the Acura reddit? I legit saw this same post there and immediately ordered a tempered glass screen protector the same day.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Did you also post this on the Acura reddit? I legit saw this same post there and immediately ordered a tempered glass screen protector the same day.
Yep. I had one on both my cars at day1