• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Armaspeed intake: Why is my car making more boost?

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
I don't understand the mechanics of putting on an intake and the car reporting more boost (via boost gauge). It's anywhere from 1-3psi more at varying time.

Why would putting on an intake allow more boost? I'm not complaining as the car feels strong, but just curious.

Here is the video with the Armaspeed intake and zero other modifications/tune, etc:

Here is a video I did bone stock 0-140 and it looks like the boost level peaks lower (i.e. I never even see 19psi in this video and I see 21+ in the above video):

d.jpg

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Occam's Razor would suggest that more air = more boost. I'm sure it's more nuanced than that but ultimately not all that surprising.

Having said that, the old school vacuum-based boost controllers wouldn't give a shit how much air was coming in, the boost pressure would be regulated pretty strictly. Modern stuff seems to be a lot more dynamic than that. I should take some time to take a deeper look into how things have changed in the 20-something years since I was dorking around with "tuning" turbo cars... but it appears that the factory ECU/electronic wastegate allows for a bit more overhead with an aftermarket intake, which honestly is pretty cool. Even at the same boost pressure it still should theoretically be making more power, but added boost pressure is likely to lead to substantial net gains.

Interesting. There's probably some solid benchmark data out there from other vendors if not Armaspeed themselves as far as horsepower gains. I would also be curious if there's any risk at all with introducing higher-than-factory boost settings without a matching tune. Typically, especially with cars designed for the enthusiast market, there's a ton of overhead built in from the factory to compensate for "basic" modding, at least. I'd still be curious to see where lines are drawn with what others have experienced, as I'm deeply interested in some of these intakes coming out recently as well.

I need to stop this shit, it's getting more interesting and dare I say nostalgic to see people start to explore tuning these things, and I honestly don't feel like the car needs any more power. I did tell myself I'd probably get an intake an exhaust, but the key is to know when to stop...

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I wonder if it has anything to do with improper MAF signal. D-Rob always mentions to go with PRL bc they have perfect MAF. Over my head though.

OP
OP

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wonder if it has anything to do with improper MAF signal. D-Rob always mentions to go with PRL bc they have perfect MAF. Over my head though.
itā€™s a 100% stock maf, why would it get an ā€œimproperā€ maf signal? Maybe itā€™s as simple as the car has enough bandwidth in its stock tune to allow a touch more boost with more airflow?!?!

OP
OP

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Optronix, I did have quite a few memories come flooding back at me installing air intakes on my old Del Sol, Prelude, and IS300 when I was putting on the intake on my ITS.

Iā€™m 47 now and my last Honda was an ā€˜05 S2000. I grew up with Hondas until I went Vette and trucks after college. Itā€™s good to have one again, but Iā€™m not getting rid of my Vettes and other GM vehicles I still have. ;)

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Optronix, I did have quite a few memories come flooding back at me installing air intakes on my old Del Sol, Prelude, and IS300 when I was putting on the intake on my ITS.

Iā€™m 47 now and my last Honda was an ā€˜05 S2000. I grew up with Hondas until I went Vette and trucks after college. Itā€™s good to have one again, but Iā€™m not getting rid of my Vettes and other GM vehicles I still have. ;)
Yeah man. We're both right in that Gen X category as I turn 46 this year. We got to fully experience the best of what the 90s and early 00s had to offer.

Personally I went old Chevy muscle (68 chevelle) > Japanese imports (a few but was mostly a Nissan guy myself) > euro "tier 3" (e36 m3, e92 335i) > euro "tier 2" (F82 M4, 981 Boxster GTS) > euro "tier 1" (991.2 911 C2S, 718 GTS 2.5, 718 GTS 4.0), and now back to imports!

The most I ever actually worked on a car was my 1990 S13 240SX, with the stock single-cam naturally aspirated KA24E. I was dirt poor but did so much nonsense to that car trying to make it faster, and ended up failing miserably in the process. Started with intake/header/exhaust, and should have stopped there. Pulled out the whole ass interior and literally took a chisel to the sound-deadening material to "lighten" the car by about 17 ounces... Bought a ridiculous Nismo racing camshaft off some guy, ported/polished the head, and was surprised to find the car was actually slower lol. But it sounded unlike any other 4 cylinder I've ever heard! A plan for a set of valve springs, pistons, injectors, and standalone engine management system was in the works before I finally found my dream car, a 92 S13 with a Silvia front end and an SR20DET. That car was amazing...

Anyway, the nostalgia is coming back strong with this Integra, first Honda I've ever personally owned. But... I like it so much as it comes from the factory that I also don't really want to mess with it. This car would have fulfilled my WILDEST fantasies in the 90s/00s... even though these days I will almost certainly never take it to a drag strip. But I do still remember how many good times I had with my also-broke buddies just trying to break into the 14s with our clapped out pieces of shit we were all immensely proud of...

OP
OP

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah man. We're both right in that Gen X category as I turn 46 this year. We got to fully experience the best of what the 90s and early 00s had to offer.

Personally I went old Chevy muscle (68 chevelle) > Japanese imports (a few but was mostly a Nissan guy myself) > euro "tier 3" (e36 m3, e92 335i) > euro "tier 2" (F82 M4, 981 Boxster GTS) > euro "tier 1" (991.2 911 C2S, 718 GTS 2.5, 718 GTS 4.0), and now back to imports!

The most I ever actually worked on a car was my 1990 S13 240SX, with the stock single-cam naturally aspirated KA24E. I was dirt poor but did so much nonsense to that car trying to make it faster, and ended up failing miserably in the process. Started with intake/header/exhaust, and should have stopped there. Pulled out the whole ass interior and literally took a chisel to the sound-deadening material to "lighten" the car by about 17 ounces... Bought a ridiculous Nismo racing camshaft off some guy, ported/polished the head, and was surprised to find the car was actually slower lol. But it sounded unlike any other 4 cylinder I've ever heard! A plan for a set of valve springs, pistons, injectors, and standalone engine management system was in the works before I finally found my dream car, a 92 S13 with a Silvia front end and an SR20DET. That car was amazing...

Anyway, the nostalgia is coming back strong with this Integra, first Honda I've ever personally owned. But... I like it so much as it comes from the factory that I also don't really want to mess with it. This car would have fulfilled my WILDEST fantasies in the 90s/00s... even though these days I will almost certainly never take it to a drag strip. But I do still remember how many good times I had with my also-broke buddies just trying to break into the 14s with our clapped out pieces of shit we were all immensely proud of...
good stuff! My gf in college had a ā€˜91 (I think) 240SX with the 5-speed manual and she let me drive it all the time. Fun car, loved the rear wheel drive and relatively good torque from the larger 4 banger.

Yeah, we grew up in the golden age of Japanese imports in the 90ā€™s. Lots of good times and memories. Glad Honda still has a bit of soul from the good old days with the FL5/DE5. Hope they come out with another high revving NA car someday.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
could be coincidence, but as ambient temps rise, so does boost. The JB4 I has a logging feature. In winter months the car produces the same power at lower boost, since the air is more oxygen dense. In summer, it dials boost up, to get that power. The logs read boost targets, as defined by our ECU, and the boost the JB4 is calling for in addition, then shows the total as well.

SocalDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 its
got a notification on my buzz words... GenX and a Honda Del Slow

howdy yall

I am debating doing intake or other mods to this car. I am liking the way it is. However,.... all the mods are parts for this are making it hard to not want to mod this thing. This forum is not helping

Last edited:

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
so I have done 2 Dyno pulls. One stock and one with the intercooler, charge pipes and Inlet. Both maxed out at 19psi with a difference of about 18hp and 14ft lb. Torque after mods. I am pretty darn sure the ECU limits the boost by the MAF readings. Since the intake was still stock the MAF readings should not have changed. I am waiting on the PRL HVI and gonna Dyno after that.(doing the exhaust side now though). I am pretty sure the ECU will let the boost go higher as OP experienced with more air coming in.
just speculation and no data yet from me.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Occam's Razor would suggest that more air = more boost. I'm sure it's more nuanced than that but ultimately not all that surprising.

Having said that, the old school vacuum-based boost controllers wouldn't give a shit how much air was coming in, the boost pressure would be regulated pretty strictly. Modern stuff seems to be a lot more dynamic than that. I should take some time to take a deeper look into how things have changed in the 20-something years since I was dorking around with "tuning" turbo cars... but it appears that the factory ECU/electronic wastegate allows for a bit more overhead with an aftermarket intake, which honestly is pretty cool. Even at the same boost pressure it still should theoretically be making more power, but added boost pressure is likely to lead to substantial net gains.

Interesting. There's probably some solid benchmark data out there from other vendors if not Armaspeed themselves as far as horsepower gains. I would also be curious if there's any risk at all with introducing higher-than-factory boost settings without a matching tune. Typically, especially with cars designed for the enthusiast market, there's a ton of overhead built in from the factory to compensate for "basic" modding, at least. I'd still be curious to see where lines are drawn with what others have experienced, as I'm deeply interested in some of these intakes coming out recently as well.

I need to stop this shit, it's getting more interesting and dare I say nostalgic to see people start to explore tuning these things, and I honestly don't feel like the car needs any more power. I did tell myself I'd probably get an intake an exhaust, but the key is to know when to stop...
Same here, I see the phearable tunes and jailbroken ecus and I think that is really cool, I like having the mapped out tunings available and all that and with a tune and little else people are making just under 400 hp, but then I think, I really don't need or want much more than that with a front wheel drive daily, I like it where it is but do think the tune would be a cool mod, I am thinking of doing just that, the only bolt on I am considering is the motor mount, I her it helps with wheel hop and over steer, so that might be a worthy mod if I am going to tune and pick up a few hp.
Much more than that and it is going to be hard to get the power down anyway.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m definitely not tuning my car. I like warranties . They help me sleep better at night and I like the margin the factory always build in.
Agreed. Last time I went the tuning route was with an STI. Sure it was fun with the extra power but it added extra weird noises too and had me staring at the A/F gauge all the time. It's like I was waiting for something to break, it gave me full on anxiety and I'll never do it again, at least not on a car I use for transportation.

lumper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Nissan 350z
Agreed. Last time I went the tuning route was with an STI. Sure it was fun with the extra power but it added extra weird noises too and had me staring at the A/F gauge all the time. It's like I was waiting for something to break, it gave me full on anxiety and I'll never do it again, at least not on a car I use for transportation.
LOL Well that's out then.
When I saw it done and watched a demo I thought the additional maps were cool, but I definitely don't need something new to worry about.

SlippyFist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra Type S
so i just installed mine a little while ago and drove it around a bit. i never watch the boost gauge so i don't know about more boost, but it definitely seemed like the pops and burbles in sport+ were longer and louder and popped harder. it was pretty awesome hearing the whooossshhh with the poppies