• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

6 Speed Manual Transmission fluid service

OP
OP
PandaTeggy24

PandaTeggy24

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra A-Spec, '95 Mustang GT, '15 Evo X
I got my ITS 30 March.

I did both first oil change and MTF at just under 1k. I believe in the old fashioned idea of break in periods and break in oil changes to drain out the metal debris created during the break in mating process of parts. I installed magnetic drain plugs in both while I was at it. I'll do another oil drain at 3k and then again at 5k when I'll thereafter. I'll do 15k MTF changes.

I say that to say this, it's your expensive purchase. Oil is cheap. Engines and transmissions are not. So I'm 100% with you on taking good care of your nice things.

To answer your question, I went with Amsoil in both fluid cases. Amsoil Synchomesh for the tranny and Amsoil OE 0w20 for the first two changes. I'll switch to 5w30 at 5k for my OCIs there after.

Some call frequent changes a waste of money, but over the life of the car, how much is saved vs risk and hassle of poor engine performance, hassle, and engine life?

Amsoil OE 0W20 5.6qt = $39.62
Puralator Boss Oil Filter = $12.74
Drain plug washer = $1?
Total = $53.36
Every 5k miles. I drive about 10k per year and change my own oil. So $106 per year. So in 10 years and 100k miles, I'll spend a grand total of $1060 on oil changes plus the two break in changes so $1220 in my first 10 years of ownership.

Amsoil MTF Synchomesh 2.3qt = $36.32
Drain/Fill/Check plug washers = $3?
Total = $39.32
Every 15k miles. So not even once a year. But in 10 years at 105000 miles I'll have done 5 changes. Grand total of $200 over 10 years plus the one break in changes so $240 in 10 years

So for me the math, not counting the break in changes, will save about $63 per year, ~$5 month, by doubling those intervals on a $60k car and risking build up, damage, and issues like mechanics report on 10k oil changes with these engines or I be a big baller and "waste" an extra $5 a month.

Anyone paying $30k-$40k for an Aspec or $60k+ for an ITS being worried about $5/month should just skip one Starbucks coffee per month and change the fluids. 😂 I can't imagine anyone able to afford a $60k car is too worried about $5/month. That's less than a Netflix subscription. 😂
I agree with you on maintaining a vehicle you intend on keeping around a while. I work at a Honda dealership, so my OEM prices are, well, let's just say very reasonable lol. I appreciate the responses everyone. I'll likely do 15k-20k on MTF & 25k-30k on plugs that are stupid expensive even working for Honda.

I am tuned & am getting ready to install the rest on my bolt on's before I buy a catback. I already have a 3" downpipe & front pipe attached to the stock catback & it doesn't sound too bad but isn't loud enough for my tastes.

Thanks everyone!

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
I don't think anyone is arguing the cost, just opinions on going a bit too overboard with maintenance under the thought its helping or better for the car. the waste is in fluids, time and for some who can't DIY, it will be a waste of money paying 100-150 hr/ shop rates more then necessary.

The number of MTs, rear diffs, transfer cases out there with OEM fluid still in them, not failing...is most of them.

Enthusiasts make up a small minority of the install base....just the way it is :D

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I got my ITS 30 March.

I did both first oil change and MTF at just under 1k. I believe in the old fashioned idea of break in periods and break in oil changes to drain out the metal debris created during the break in mating process of parts. I installed magnetic drain plugs in both while I was at it. I'll do another oil drain at 3k and then again at 5k when I'll thereafter. I'll do 15k MTF changes.

I say that to say this, it's your expensive purchase. Oil is cheap. Engines and transmissions are not. So I'm 100% with you on taking good care of your nice things.

To answer your question, I went with Amsoil in both fluid cases. Amsoil Synchomesh for the tranny and Amsoil OE 0w20 for the first two changes. I'll switch to 5w30 at 5k for my OCIs there after.

Some call frequent changes a waste of money, but over the life of the car, how much is saved vs risk and hassle of poor engine performance, hassle, and engine life?

Amsoil OE 0W20 5.6qt = $39.62
Puralator Boss Oil Filter = $12.74
Drain plug washer = $1?
Total = $53.36
Every 5k miles. I drive about 10k per year and change my own oil. So $106 per year. So in 10 years and 100k miles, I'll spend a grand total of $1060 on oil changes plus the two break in changes so $1220 in my first 10 years of ownership.

Amsoil MTF Synchomesh 2.3qt = $36.32
Drain/Fill/Check plug washers = $3?
Total = $39.32
Every 15k miles. So not even once a year. But in 10 years at 105000 miles I'll have done 5 changes. Grand total of $200 over 10 years plus the one break in changes so $240 in 10 years

So for me the math, not counting the break in changes, will save about $63 per year, ~$5 month, by doubling those intervals on a $60k car and risking build up, damage, and issues like mechanics report on 10k oil changes with these engines or I be a big baller and "waste" an extra $5 a month.

Anyone paying $30k-$40k for an Aspec or $60k+ for an ITS being worried about $5/month should just skip one Starbucks coffee per month and change the fluids. 😂 I can't imagine anyone able to afford a $60k car is too worried about $5/month. That's less than a Netflix subscription. 😂
Where do you get your oil from? That seems cheaper then mobil 1.

Wolfnman2000

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S Performance Red Pearl
Where do you get your oil from? That seems cheaper then mobil 1.
www.amsoil.com

They have several different product lines. The price I quoted is the OE line. It's the one with the API seal on it. It's also the least expensive of their products.

Secondly, I have three vehicles so I got the Preferred Customer trial. Then if you spend $500 in the year, you get a free renewal. With three cars, it's easy enough to do. PC gives you a 25% discount on your order.

Lastly, I buy the gallons by the case, the cheapest per quart option.

When combined, the cost per quart is $6.95. Walmart sells the 5 at of Mobile 1 for about $25. So the OE Amsoil is still about $10 more for 5 qts. But again, based on my math, that's a price difference of about $20 a year or $200 over 10 to get an oil that's proven in multiple years to be better. Amsoil has 0 events of a LSPI in testing. The Dexos standard allows some to occur. This is especially important for our turbo charged GDI engines.

When I go to 5w30, I'll also switch to the Signature Series. So that will be about $10.50/qt. So my oil changes will be $59.85 for the oil. Still not a serious ding to the wallet imo. Yes that's more than twice the cost of Mobile 1, but from all the data out there, Amsoil is an objectively better product and no more cost than it adds to the lifetime ownership, it's hard for me to argue it's worth it to me to save those few dollars.

Wolfnman2000

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
I don't think anyone is arguing the cost, just opinions on going a bit too overboard with maintenance under the thought its helping or better for the car. the waste is in fluids, time and for some who can't DIY, it will be a waste of money paying 100-150 hr/ shop rates more then necessary.

The number of MTs, rear diffs, transfer cases out there with OEM fluid still in them, not failing...is most of them.

Enthusiasts make up a small minority of the install base....just the way it is :D
Yes the number of vehicles in the road without proper maintenance is most of them....because by definition they're still on the road. Doesn't mean they'll last long or be in good shape at that time.

But the number of failures out there is a non 0 number.

Plenty of mechanics see them. You can roll the dice to be the guy who claims "I've never changed my XYZ fluid and never had a problem" if you like. I personally don't buy it. I've seen how people live and think "it's not a problem."

Further, complete mechanical failure isn't the only reason to maintain fluid changes. Efficiency of the car is impacted by degrades lubricants throughout the drivetrain.

Yes, many people will own a car and not maintain it. That car will keep going, sure, until it doesn't.

You are correct that if not DIY, the math changes some but neither oil change or MT fluid change are lengthy, therefore, not labor expensive tasks.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
www.amsoil.com

They have several different product lines. The price I quoted is the OE line. It's the one with the API seal on it. It's also the least expensive of their products.

Secondly, I have three vehicles so I got the Preferred Customer trial. Then if you spend $500 in the year, you get a free renewal. With three cars, it's easy enough to do. PC gives you a 25% discount on your order.

Lastly, I buy the gallons by the case, the cheapest per quart option.

When combined, the cost per quart is $6.95. Walmart sells the 5 at of Mobile 1 for about $25. So the OE Amsoil is still about $10 more for 5 qts. But again, based on my math, that's a price difference of about $20 a year or $200 over 10 to get an oil that's proven in multiple years to be better. Amsoil has 0 events of a LSPI in testing. The Dexos standard allows some to occur. This is especially important for our turbo charged GDI engines.

When I go to 5w30, I'll also switch to the Signature Series. So that will be about $10.50/qt. So my oil changes will be $59.85 for the oil. Still not a serious ding to the wallet imo. Yes that's more than twice the cost of Mobile 1, but from all the data out there, Amsoil is an objectively better product and no more cost than it adds to the lifetime ownership, it's hard for me to argue it's worth it to me to save those few dollars.
Still a bargain since the dealership wants over $100.

Wolfnman2000

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
Still a bargain since the dealership wants over $100.
That's precisely my logic as well. I can DIY with arguably "better" oil and filters (even though Honda filters seem to be pretty good) than used by the dealership for at least $40 less than the dealership charges. Why would I do a dealership oil change? :)

OP
OP
PandaTeggy24

PandaTeggy24

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra A-Spec, '95 Mustang GT, '15 Evo X
I get the OEM MTF & washers for less than $13 total from my job, so it's just cheap insurance for me on that. The plugs I'll be buying will be NGK, but there's plenty of time on those for now.

Thanks to everyone for being involved & helping provide some interesting knowledge here. I hadn't seen any MTF thread in the maintenance section, so I hope this helps in the future as well.