• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Questions About Trade-In Condition

BatesMotelXIV

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Si
Hey everyone,

Got some a question about general cosmetic condition about my 2020 Civic Si, which I plan to trade-in for the ITS when my name is called. I am simply wondering whether it is worth putting in the money to get all (or some) of these cosmetic imperfections worked out before trading the car in.

I have a fair share of minor, but annoying cosmetic blemishes on the car. I'd say about 4 small dents, 2 scratches, one door handle with a bunch of small scratches (thanks, oldest toddler), and one good scuff across the bottom right corner of the front fender (this one was all me...). The car is otherwise in fine condition...no major issues with the car.

Any thoughts on whether it is worth the money to get any of these issues fixed or if it's better to just deal with a slightly lower trade-in value would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading, commenting, etc. If enough people need to see pics, I guess I can swallow my pride and post some up.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Try carmax to see what it's worth.
Then try Vroom which beat CarMax by $3k.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
If you can find a broker, try that angle as well. For me it was $32k trade in, $33k Carmax, $33k KBB instant cash, $37k through a broker.

Dealer will start at CarMax then bring it down for every little thing, mostly it is a mind game so you feel self conscious about the car. Don't be, it doesn't matter. It really doesn't.

I had springs, a scrubbed wheel, and a tire with a nasty bubble. I asked how much value I would get fixing it and the broker said zero, don't worry about it, let my buyer deal with it. Just threw the stock springs in the trunk and got my check.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
If you can find a broker, try that angle as well. For me it was $32k trade in, $33k Carmax, $33k KBB instant cash, $37k through a broker.

Dealer will start at CarMax then bring it down for every little thing, mostly it is a mind game so you feel self conscious about the car. Don't be, it doesn't matter. It really doesn't.

I had springs, a scrubbed wheel, and a tire with a nasty bubble. I asked how much value I would get fixing it and the broker said zero, don't worry about it, let my buyer deal with it. Just threw the stock springs in the trunk and got my check.
I tried a few others including givemethevin.com that couldn't even match CarMax. I did get $100 because of it.
What broker did you use? Is there a website for such a thing?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It's almost certainly not worth it to fix cosmetic things on a used car for a trade in. If you're planning to sell private party, then it may make sense. For a trade-in you may get another $50-100 if the car is in near-mint condition. Anything below that is basically all the same to a dealer.

Wear items are a different story. It would probably make more sense to slap some cheap tires on if it needs it, because they'll probably ding you the cost of a set of Michelins.

OP
OP
BatesMotelXIV

BatesMotelXIV

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Si

Hey ZeroGSR, to Integra23ā€™s point, how do you best go about finding a broker. Thanks!

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
The guys on the Civic forums said that big dealerships have their own collision center that can fix cosmetic issues way cheaper than a independent body shops

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
OP, no, do not spend the money to fix the minor imperfections. You will not get that money back.

The best thing you can do with regards to negotiating your trade value, is getting quotes from Vroom and Carvana at the time of purchase, as others have suggested. Trade values as shown on websites such as KBB will be ignored.

At our dealership, we use KBB, JD Power, Black Book and MMR (auction value) to evaluate the worth of a customers trade. Even more, on popular vehicles with abnormally high trade values, we will analyze auction ā€˜no saleā€™ statistics. Lots of the high value trades donā€™t sell well because they compete with new car pricingā€¦something to keep in mind.

All that said, if someone brings us a quote from Vroom and/or Carvana dated at the time of purchase, we normally honor that price as it is very close to our evaluations.

Mike

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
Hey ZeroGSR, to Integra23ā€™s point, how do you best go about finding a broker. Thanks!
Another point to consider, if you sell to a broker (or another entity) you will not get a trade in tax credit (if eligible in your state). If you can receive a trade in tax credit, make sure your sale price to the broker is greater than the trade + tax credit. Basically, just make sure whichever direction you go, youā€™re getting the best value for your investment.

Mike

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
Sorry, I had friends that used them before (Buyside Auto) so I went off those recommendations. I didn't search myself.

Good point on tax credit, sadly not an option in CA, but definitely would have made things easier just sticking with dealer.

OP
OP
BatesMotelXIV

BatesMotelXIV

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Si
OP, no, do not spend the money to fix the minor imperfections. You will not get that money back.

The best thing you can do with regards to negotiating your trade value, is getting quotes from Vroom and Carvana at the time of purchase, as others have suggested. Trade values as shown on websites such as KBB will be ignored.

At our dealership, we use KBB, JD Power, Black Book and MMR (auction value) to evaluate the worth of a customers trade. Even more, on popular vehicles with abnormally high trade values, we will analyze auction ā€˜no saleā€™ statistics. Lots of the high value trades donā€™t sell well because they compete with new car pricingā€¦something to keep in mind.

All that said, if someone brings us a quote from Vroom and/or Carvana dated at the time of purchase, we normally honor that price as it is very close to our evaluations.

Mike
Sounds like a planā€”thank you, Mike!!