• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Integra Type S versus GR Corolla?

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si sedan (now 2023 Ford Focus ST-Line X)
Huh?

Name another 3 cylinder that sounds good.

I'm not saying the ITS sounds great; it's passable as a sports car but that's not why I bought it. But when I think of inspiring automotive sound tracks, my mind does not instantly invoke glorious 3-bangers. Maybe there are examples beyond the US market I'm not aware of, so this isn't a rhetorical question... but I'm not optimistic.

In fact I'd argue the Audi 5-cylinder that journalists seem so enamored with isn't all that impressive, at least outside the car.

Back to why I think the GRC isn't a viable competitor to the ITS, it comes down to what it's composed of. Why should I be excited about this 3 cylinder Toyota when it appears to offer nothing more than what Subaru gave us with the STI for 20 years?

Some people like the GRC because it has "character", but that trick doesn't work on me. I'm wholly uninterested in the car, but I get the appeal... because I had an STI already.

The ITS (and by proxy CTR) offers driving dynamics and on-track capability that punch far above its weight class. The GRC is... more fun when it snows?

Hard pass.
Skip to 2:00 min mark to hear the 3 cylinder in the i8 (with all the fake noises turned off).

https://insideevs.com/news/453568/bmw-i8-active-sound-disabled-video/

This is half a BMW inline six.

The Audi 5 cylinder sounds amazing. We can agree to disagree.

Doesn't really matter cause the GRC, at least based on nearly everyone's reviews, doesn't go far enough in terms of fun and character to buy it over the Hondas for that reason. 300 hp AWD and you can't even get the tail out without the handbrake or snow on the ground.

Toyota could have given us the 400 lb lighter GR Yaris, since both cars have a useless back seat anyway.

Last edited:

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally I dont get it, the GR corrolla is a good car, but so small, IMO.
If Toyota had given the Corolla hatch a traditional trunk, like a Golf or my Focus, instead of the sloping roof, it would at least have a usable trunk and rear headroom. I hate when car makers gimp the practicality for some weird stylish reason.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Skip to 2:00 min mark to hear the 3 cylinder in the i8 (with all the fake noises turned off).

https://insideevs.com/news/453568/bmw-i8-active-sound-disabled-video/

This is half a BMW inline six.

The Audi 5 cylinder sounds amazing. We can agree to disagree.

Doesn't really matter cause the GRC, at least based on nearly everyone's reviews, doesn't go far enough in terms of fun and character to buy it over the Hondas for that reason. 300 hp AWD and you can't even get the tail out without the handbrake or snow on the ground.

Toyota could have given us the 400 lb lighter GR Yaris, since both cars have a useless back seat anyway.
I didn't realize the i8 had a 3 cylinder, but yeah agree to disagree because I'm not feeling the sound. I'm not saying the Audi 5 sounds bad, but it's overrated. So are most Porsches FWIW- including the 4.0 flat 6 in the 718 I just traded in. In stock form, the engine doesn't sound great outside the car... but the induction noise while driving is pure bliss.

Did I mention before that sound is generally considered a subjective topic?

I did a lot of car stuff last week with a trackday and an autocross, and 4 cars stood out: A GT500, an RX-8, an S2000, and an N55 M2. All of them had aftermarket exhaust, but they all sounded particularly amazing. Notably absent was a 3 cylinder.

Honorable mention goes to the best sounding 997.1 I've ever heard but as I mentioned, Porsches are like an 8/10 in the sound department until you get to the GT3/RS.

But where we do agree is that it doesn't matter because the GRC wasn't even on my radar, and never will be. But I'm glad it exists.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn't realize the i8 had a 3 cylinder, but yeah agree to disagree because I'm not feeling the sound. I'm not saying the Audi 5 sounds bad, but it's overrated. So are most Porsches FWIW- including the 4.0 flat 6 in the 718 I just traded in. In stock form, the engine doesn't sound great outside the car... but the induction noise while driving is pure bliss.

Did I mention before that sound is generally considered a subjective topic?

I did a lot of car stuff last week with a trackday and an autocross, and 4 cars stood out: A GT500, an RX-8, an S2000, and an N55 M2. All of them had aftermarket exhaust, but they all sounded particularly amazing. Notably absent was a 3 cylinder.

Honorable mention goes to the best sounding 997.1 I've ever heard but as I mentioned, Porsches are like an 8/10 in the sound department until you get to the GT3/RS.

But where we do agree is that it doesn't matter because the GRC wasn't even on my radar, and never will be. But I'm glad it exists.
Yeah, sorry, didn't know we were comparing 3 cylinders to 6 figure Porsches. I only compared it to the Type R.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, sorry, didn't know we were comparing 3 cylinders to 6 figure Porsches. I only compared it to the Type R.
You didn't make that specification either. You just said "3 cylinders sound great", and then left me with the GRC and i3, which neither sound great to me. In a subjective topic it generally helps to have some context, so I gave you some. I'll also add that the 4 cars I called out from my adventures last week, none of which were 6 figure Porsches. Not even the honorable mention 997.

Neither the CTR/ITS or GRC sound great so I don't really even see how this is a relevant conversation in the first place. But the fact that the GRC has a 3 cylinder is a huge turn-off for me, and that is relevant to the topic of this thread, and I don't agree that a 3 cylinder sounds better than a 4 inherently by nature.

Are we done here?

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You didn't make that specification either. You just said "3 cylinders sound great", and then left me with the GRC and i3, which neither sound great to me. In a subjective topic it generally helps to have some context, so I gave you some. I'll also add that the 4 cars I called out from my adventures last week, none of which were 6 figure Porsches. Not even the honorable mention 997.

Neither the CTR/ITS or GRC sound great so I don't really even see how this is a relevant conversation in the first place. But the fact that the GRC has a 3 cylinder is a huge turn-off for me, and that is relevant to the topic of this thread, and I don't agree that a 3 cylinder sounds better than a 4 inherently by nature.

Are we done here?
Really? Here's what I said.

That's why the engine sounds a little better than turbo 4s. But not as good as it should.

Toyota left some cards on the table, car should sound better and be a bit more exciting given what it is.

You just took the comment and ran with it so you could remind everyone about all the Porsches you've had. We know, by the way, you remind us in every post.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Really? Here's what I said.

That's why the engine sounds a little better than turbo 4s. But not as good as it should.

Toyota left some cards on the table, car should sound better and be a bit more exciting given what it is.

You just took the comment and ran with it so you could remind everyone about all the Porsches you've had. We know, by the way, you remind us in every post.
Jesus Christ, this again? What is it about this board in particular where I'm supposed to drop any context that has to do with previous cars I've owned because someone might get their feelings hurt?

YOU clearly feel I bring up Porsches "in every post", so you cherry pick what you respond to. GTFOH with that.

You bring up that you're in Taiwan and drive a focus "in every post". What's the difference?

I'm not going to apologize because I've owned cars that many of you can't afford. If it's relevant to the conversation, I'll bring it up. It's up to you to grow up and manage whatever insecurities you have. Or make better life decisions. Either way, we're on a car forum and we're talking about cars; if you can't handle that take it up with your therapist.

OP
OP

bloominguez

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
All the 3 cylinder motorcycles sound better than their 4 cylinder competitors. Try listening to a Daytona 675 and then a ZX6R or R6.
This is not true, in my opinion, if you go back in time a little. V-fours sound fantastic. Listen to some old Hondas.

OP
OP

bloominguez

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Personally I dont get it, the GR corrolla is a good car, but so small, IMO.
If I could have two or three cars, then sure I might take a closer look, but I cant, so for me the integra does it all and pretty good too.
no car is perfect, but for the money, the ITS and what you get is great, plenty of space, a good daily and a fun car too.
the GR doesnt even have a center console or arm rest, lol.
If you love the track, and torque, all wheel drive, and you dont need this to be your only car then the GR might be good for you.
To me, for the money, I am not interested in it at all.
But we all have our opinions.
Guilty, on multiple points. I don't mind the fact that the GR Corolla is smaller. Much like my old Integra, actually. I do have multiple cars. This would be car #3 (#4 actually, but one of my daughters drives my old Integra). The GR Corolla might be the most practical of the bunch (the ITS certainly would, if I went that route). I've decided that I don't want or need a car to do it all. In fact, at this point in my life I have chosen to only buy impractical cars.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jesus Christ, this again? What is it about this board in particular where I'm supposed to drop any context that has to do with previous cars I've owned because someone might get their feelings hurt?

YOU clearly feel I bring up Porsches "in every post", so you cherry pick what you respond to. GTFOH with that.

You bring up that you're in Taiwan and drive a focus "in every post". What's the difference?

I'm not going to apologize because I've owned cars that many of you can't afford. If it's relevant to the conversation, I'll bring it up. It's up to you to grow up and manage whatever insecurities you have. Or make better life decisions. Either way, we're on a car forum and we're talking about cars; if you can't handle that take it up with your therapist.
Look at that, a post where you didn't mention Porsche. :thumbsup:

I wasn't really serious, I'd much rather talk about Porsches than Hondas, if I can say that on this forum. :oops:

Yeah, I love my Focus, if the US government wasn't a bunch of dicks I'd bring it home with us in 18 months.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Look at that, a post where you didn't mention Porsche. :thumbsup:

I wasn't really serious, I'd much rather talk about Porsches than Hondas, if I can say that on this forum. :oops:

Yeah, I love my Focus, if the US government wasn't a bunch of dicks I'd bring it home with us in 18 months.
Fair enough, but I have gotten an immense amount of shit on this board for posting about interesting cars I have actually owned. One would think the context would be helpful but not everyone agrees apparently.

Doesn't matter to me, it does get annoying but I'll get past it and move on. I usually don't feel like I truly connect with any forum member until we've had at least one major disagreement anyway.

best friends.gif

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fair enough, but I have gotten an immense amount of shit on this board for posting about interesting cars I have actually owned. One would think the context would be helpful but not everyone agrees apparently.

Doesn't matter to me, it does get annoying but I'll get past it and move on. I usually don't feel like I truly connect with any forum member until we've had at least one major disagreement anyway.

best friends.gif
I keep telling my two boys they may have to fight boys before they become friends. :D

I do get mad all the time about the wealth gap, but I would never blame a Porsche enthusiast, I blame the Federal Reserve. People are very angry these days, and rightfully so, about all the printed money going to the top.

VarmintCong

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sure but V4s don't make the same sounds as I4s, and we were comparing I3s to I4s earlier.
Turbo fours. Normally aspirated fours can sound amazing, as Honda has proven. I had a rental Audi A3 years ago, and the quick revvingg little 1.6L 100 hp four also sounded awesome.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I keep telling my two boys they may have to fight boys before they become friends. :D

I do get mad all the time about the wealth gap, but I would never blame a Porsche enthusiast, I blame the Federal Reserve. People are very angry these days, and rightfully so, about all the printed money going to the top.
Everybody should be mad about the wealth gap. I make a good living, but am very far from being rich.