• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
My boss is out today and I guess I feel like stirring the pot, so here we go... there's the dedicated thread for what we'd all want in an Integra Type-S and what we'd pay for it, but now that we have the Base-Tech features/pricing, who wants to debate what Acura will actually do? I think Honda and Acura are getting more predictable about how they segment their offerings, so here's are my bets and some rationale looking across their current offerings/features:

• Performance: They'll give the Integra Type-S the Accord-spec 2.0T with output ~270hp +/- 15hp. It'll offer plenty of extra fun over the 1.5L and be a good starting point for people who want to upgrade it to compete with the Civic Type R, but Honda's not going to do it for you and cannibalize their Civic Type R sales. They're putting way too much into making the Civic Type R their performance model. It won't be a resurrection of yesterday's Integra Type R.... think a more luxurious everyday luxury compact that you could take to the track, not a luxury track car.
  • Transmission: Why did the Base-Tech Integra get the CVT when Honda and Acura have a great DCT? Even the ILX has a DCT! Because it's being reserved for the Type-S. That said, I'm calling it... the Integra Type-S won't have a 6MT option, it'll be offered DCT-only. The majority of Integra reservations are for 6MT, but the majority of US sales are automatic. Offering a manual option comes at a cost for Acura. They passed that cost to the consumer with the A-Spec+Tech, but I don't think they will for the Type-S. Feel free to disagree, I know it's an unpopular opinion!
  • Drivetrain: Likewise, why didn't the Base-Tech Integra get SH-AWD? Because SH-AWD will come on the Type-S. It'll have adaptive dampers, perhaps a suspension upgrade from the Tech model... but I'm not counting on Type R-level suspension.
  • Styling: Like the TLX Type-S, the Integra Type-S will get a few extra aggressive styling details. Don't hold your breath for a widebody, a park bench of a spoiler, or tons of functional vents... but it'll stand out from the A-Spec/Tech model tastefully.
  • Interior: The Type-S will come with the same features from the Tech model, and should come with leather, (possibly comfier) ventilated front seats, and possibly heated rear seats with rear climate... but I'm not holding my breath for either of those, the Tech package really does come with a lot. Will it have the Acura trackpad infotainment? I doubt it... at least I hope it wouldn't. The Civic infotainment works, so why fix it?
  • Extras: I'm counting on a Type-S exclusive wheel/tire, big brakes from the factory, increased rigidity, and a couple exclusive Type-S colors. What am I missing?
  • Price: Today's average Type-S price increase is ~$3,500, but I don't think there will be an Integra Type-S announced or launched in 2022. While today's Integra pricing is technically for a 2023... I'm planning on an increase for a model announced/launched in 2023. All that said, I'd be surprised if they reach the lot for anything less than $41,500. Is a MSRP of $43,000 possible? Unfortunately, I think so.
  • Debut: I expect teasers/leaks through the holidays, and a "launch" in February/March 2023 and Summer 2023 deliveries--I admit this is the part that I've given the least thought, so I'm hedging that they'll do the same thing all over again.
We can speculate all day long about what an Integra Type-S should be, but what are we most likely to see? Remember, Acura's selling to the masses, not necessarily to you. I think there's no way it'll be a rebirthed Integra Type R, and the specs above certainly won't make it a Civic Type R competitor. Is my bet on the Type-S equipped but pricey? Fun to an extent? Potent yet marginally overweight? Aren't we all? I admit I wouldn't buy it, but think some would and believe Honda's left the category open for this to be the car.

Place your bets and we'll see who's closest when it's actually announced! Feel free to add categories, rationale, and anything you think I missed... just don't come looking to argue, ok? It's gambling. Betting on a villain doesn't make you a villain.... at least not to me.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I pretty much agree with 99% of what you said more or less. Based on Honda and Acura's recent products it's not too difficult to take a stab at what they'll do (which is to say, it'll be underwhelming compared to what they COULD do, but not necessarily bad, just conservative from a business standpoint)

- $39,800k starting price is my guess (over $40k after fees, taxes, and probable dealer price hikes)

- Same 2.0T tune as the base TLX, its ready to go as is with 275hp

- The DCT is probably not gonna return, Honda was always nay sayers to DCTs, it'll have the 10-speed auto used in the other 2.0T and V6 applications, probably no manual as you stated.

- Bigger breaks, tires, similar visual tweaks and appointments inside and out to the TLX Type S, possibly with a modest wing spoiler (nothing CTR in scale, think closer to the regular Civic hatch optional wing)

- It won't be teased or revealed until AFTER the CTR is on sale. Honda/Acura seem to only want one product at a time being revealed so that they all get their time to shine. CTR reveal and release, then the ITS, probably late this year/early next year as you mentioned

- Still not entirely sure of the SH-AWD making an appearance. Could they? Yes, the platform is designed for FWD or AWD applications (CR-V uses it, HR-V will use this platform, etc) but I just don't know if Honda has huevos to do it, even if Acura wishes they could (Acura would be far different if it didn't have to submit to Honda's every approval, but until Acura can prove itself with sales, that's not likely to change)

- Features and tech will mostly be copy/paste from the Tech+A-Spec trim with maybe a couple additional features to help justify the price and satisfy luxury type buyers

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Acura is going to go 1 of 2 ways. They’re going to treat it like they did the base v the Si. Which means same drivetrain (maybe with an auto option) as the new CTR but with a much nicer interior and about $6k more than the CTR. MAYBE shawd since the new HR-V will have awd and is also based on the 11th gen civic platform, but I doubt it.

Or the more likely smaller bump over aspec tech in drivetrain and features, giving it around 275hp, 10 speed auto (from the tlx base. Just no reason not to save money and use the exact same drivetrain just like they did with the Si), quad exhaust, spoiler, different wheels, brembos, ventilated seats, and 360 camera. Still fwd. For a pre destination price of $38,800. Sticker of 39,895 so they can market it as “under $40k”.

It’s also possible however since Jonathan Rivers said they don’t look at destination when hitting their price goals, which is why Acura considers the base being “around $30k” at $30,800 even though actual sticker is $31,895, that the predestination is $39,800 and the sticker is just under $41k.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
- $39,800k starting price is my guess (over $40k after fees, taxes, and probable dealer price hikes)

- The DCT is probably not gonna return, Honda was always nay sayers to DCTs, it'll have the 10-speed auto used in the other 2.0T and V6 applications, probably no manual as you stated.

- Bigger breaks, tires, similar visual tweaks and appointments inside and out to the TLX Type S, possibly with a modest wing spoiler (nothing CTR in scale, think closer to the regular Civic hatch optional wing)
So I admit that I didn't do enough research on the DCT and thought the Accord 10-speed and DCT were one in the same--I agree it'll get the Accord transmission. I also agree regarding a modest wing--a lot more than the Tech's duckbill, but much less than the CTR. I really like that HPD Civic Hatchback spoiler!

Acura is going to go 1 of 2 ways. They’re going to treat it like they did the base v the Si. Which means same drivetrain (maybe with an auto option) as the new CTR but with a much nicer interior and about $5k more. MAYBE shawd.

Or the more likely smaller bump over aspec tech, giving it around 280hp, 10 speed auto, quad exhaust, spoiler, different wheels, ventilated seats, and 360 camera. Still fwd. For a pre destination price of $38,800. Sticker of 39,900 so they can market it as “under $40k”.
Interesting idea about the Type-S being a relatively low cost, low fuss Si-like upgrade over the general Civic-like Base-Tech! That SH-AWD would set it apart in a big way... but they may not even see that as necessary.

As for that "under $40,000 claim", you're too right. Acura clearly puts a lot of value and takes a lot of freedom in being able to make a "right around", "just over/under" or "mid-X" claim... I don't know about you, but my $37,400ish A-Spec+Tech is certainly a lot more like $40,000 than "mid-30's"! But I'll deal. I still want it. Well played, Acura.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Yep. I’m starting to think with how conservative Honda is that the ITS will be more like the Integras Si than the Integras Type R.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N(sold)
2.0T 10AT FWD with about 275hp

- Acura loves Honda's parts bin. Integra's 1.5T powertrain came straight out of the Civic.

- The Integra Prototype had Brembos with painted A-spec wheels. IF the brake system was borrowed from the ITS, it would mean two things:
1. It won't get the Type-R's bespoke suspension parts including the dual axis set up.​
2. It will have less than 300hp.​

- K20C1/5/6 have only been mated with either 6MT or 10AT. Acura will probably prefer the 10AT. Maybe they'll offer the 6MT, who knows.

- K20C1 with 6MT is the only version that comes with the LSD, so the ITS will probably have open diff.

- I read somewhere that K20C5/6 would need a better turbo for more hp. Will Acura do it?

- 235/45/19, maybe 245/35/19, but definitely not the 265 lol

- I kinda wish they'd detune the old K20C1 and pair it with both 6MT(LSD) and 10AT.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
My (heavily opinionated) wild card guess is that the next gen accord might get AWD to compete with Camry and maybe the 2.0T is already being developed to have AWD - and so the ITS will actually debut the new drivetrain.

As much as I’m sure they will make a great FWD ITS, I just don’t know if I want to pay 40k to not get the SHAWD system. It works really well in other acuras I have drove so I really want it lol.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
My biggest issue and worry is that if they use the Accord 2.0T and not ATLEAST the TLX 2.0T it will be destroyed in every comparison against its competition at its price point. 252HP is fine when your in the low to mid 30K like the GTi and Mazda 3, but not when at 40k

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N(sold)
My biggest issue and worry is that if they use the Accord 2.0T and not ATLEAST the TLX 2.0T it will be destroyed in every comparison against its competition at its price point. 252HP is fine when your in the low to mid 30K like the GTi and Mazda 3, but not when at 40k
The Accord 2.0T is tuned for regular fuel. I'm pretty sure Acura will at least recommend premium fuel for the ITS.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
I pretty much agree with 99% of what you said more or less. Based on Honda and Acura's recent products it's not too difficult to take a stab at what they'll do (which is to say, it'll be underwhelming compared to what they COULD do, but not necessarily bad, just conservative from a business standpoint)

- Same 2.0T tune as the base TLX, its ready to go as is with 275hp

- It won't be teased or revealed until AFTER the CTR is on sale. Honda/Acura seem to only want one product at a time being revealed so that they all get their time to shine. CTR reveal and release, then the ITS, probably late this year/early next year as you mentioned

- Still not entirely sure of the SH-AWD making an appearance. Could they? Yes, the platform is designed for FWD or AWD applications (CR-V uses it, HR-V will use this platform, etc) but I just don't know if Honda has huevos to do it, even if Acura wishes they could (Acura would be far different if it didn't have to submit to Honda's every approval, but until Acura can prove itself with sales, that's not likely to change)

- Features and tech will mostly be copy/paste from the Tech+A-Spec trim with maybe a couple additional features to help justify the price and satisfy luxury type buyers
Agreed just under 40k US before freight/pdi, TLX motor and trans, no manual my bet is they play it conservative, for now at least.
Update: I bet they do a manual

No awd, at least not yet, if sales go well this could come later but adds a lot of cost and weight to a low volume vehicle. Too ballsy and costly for them.

Itll be a very similar feature list compared to what the TLX Type S gets with few surprises. Flat bottom wheel makes sense as does 360 camera.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I think it will be an additional 5 to 6k over A-Spec trim. 2.0t, ELS 3D Signature audio, cooled seats, 360 degree camera, 19 wheels, 6 speed manual.

Hand soap

First Name
Gg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
The only way I see a Type-S integra happening is it having a completely unique engine to Acuras current line-up. Maybe 250 hp tops. Otherwise its gonna compete with the TLX too much. The other side of the coin would be manual only versions of either the TLX or TLX Type S.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
The only way I see a Type-S integra happening is it having a completely unique engine to Acuras current line-up. Maybe 250 hp tops. Otherwise its gonna compete with the TLX too much. The other side of the coin would be manual only versions of either the TLX or TLX Type S.
It’s almost certainly happening, and a unique engine is certainly not. It’ll be a 2.0T that’s nearly identical to the Accord’s or TLX’s.

The Integra doesn’t really compete with the TLX. That’s a lot bigger and heavier, sedan, limited interior space. Integra is far more practical and looks quite a bit different.

I’ll be surprised to see a manual in the Type S right away. They’re conservative in the best of times and these aren’t those. They’ll sell so few all it would do is boost the brand and could cost them some margins. I’m hoping they boost the brand and do it.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
250 HP would get it laughed out of its class at its price point. Does Audi complain the Golf R competes with the A3 or S3 to much? Or the S3 competes with the A4 to much?

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
I think it will be an additional 5 to 6k over A-Spec trim. 2.0t, ELS 3D Signature audio, cooled seats, 360 degree camera, 19 wheels, 6 speed manual.
A-Spec or A-Spec Tech? because if you're thinking it will be 42-43k then it's going to have a HARD fight with the S3 as it has AWD, 300hp and is 46K. If the Integra shows up with just a 272HP 2.0T for just 3k less it's going to be a hard fight to justify itself. At 40-42 that arguments a bit easier. To me AWD and 28hp isnt worth 4k, and if the ITS has a manual that would give it more appeal to me over the S3.