• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fuel required

dmorey

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes CLA250, Honda Civic-EX coupe
I thought it strange, with the current price of gas, that I haven't seen anyone mention whether or not the new Integra requires premium gas. I was assuming that it would, considering that it has the same engine as the Civic SI and I believe the Civic requires it; but I was hoping that it might not. Could someone please confirm the minimum octane rating that the Integra requires? Thanks.

Alex K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T, 2016 Audi SQ5
Dealer said that 87 would be fine, but would get better performance and fuel efficiency out of 91 or higher. Not sure I trust the dealer so would definitely like to hear from unbiased sources.

Fknweasel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Platinum White Pearl A-spec Tech
In my experience with other modern (especially turbocharged) vehicles. Premium fuel is highly recommended for a reason. Utilize lower octane fuel actually causes the ECU to limit timing and ultimately affect fuel economy. It's a bit of a trade off.

Will lower Octane hurt? Very doubtful, the ECU is very good at it's job.

Have you considered E85? Yes it does require tuning and a flex fuel kit. However I have found Ethanol to be far cheaper per mile than 93 octane. And it also comes with substantial performance benefits.

OP
OP

dmorey

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes CLA250, Honda Civic-EX coupe
I usually find it's best to go along with the factory's recommendation. My Mercedes CLA recommends 91 also. I used to buy Sunoco's super which is 93 octane. I figured it might add a little extra power and I would consistently get 39 mpg on a long trip, which is the EPA highway etsimate.

Then I tried Sunoco's regular premium gas, 91 octane, to save a few cents per gallon. I got 42.5 mpg on a 1,000 miles roundtrip from Vermont to D.C. and back; same thing on a 950 miles roundtrip from Vermont to Pennsylvania and back home. I had never gotten such good gas mileage as that before; with the same tires and using the same Mobil-1 oil.

My conclusion was that the car's computer is programmed to operate the car most efficiently with gas having their recommended 91 octand rating. My plan then is to do the same with my wife's Integra, once it finally comes in.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Si

Alex K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T, 2016 Audi SQ5
You'll get better fuel efficiency w/ higher octane, although I doubt it's good enough to offset the higher cost. https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/
Appreciate you sharing the article. Integra still running on its first dealer filled tank, so will be filling up based on cost of fuel rather than octane. May try to use 93 from time to time (at Costco) to see if I feel any difference in performance.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
In my experience with other modern (especially turbocharged) vehicles. Premium fuel is highly recommended for a reason. Utilize lower octane fuel actually causes the ECU to limit timing and ultimately affect fuel economy. It's a bit of a trade off.

Will lower Octane hurt? Very doubtful, the ECU is very good at it's job.

Have you considered E85? Yes it does require tuning and a flex fuel kit. However I have found Ethanol to be far cheaper per mile than 93 octane. And it also comes with substantial performance benefits.
That applies to any car. On my Mustang I can run 87, but loose about 20WHP, but ill also save like $6-8 a week at the gas pump. I as I drive my car every day and am not at race tracks constantly, im fine saving like $30/month in trade for 20HP ill barely if ever notice.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
I'll use 93 except maybe on a long full day road trip where I'll hopefully just have the cruise set for hrs at a time and not care as much about acceleration.