• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First oil Change Possible Smell of Fuel

foeman33

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra ELITE A-SPEC MT
Hey everyone. First post and new to the Acura world. Just completed my first oil change on my 2023 Integra Aspec Tech 6m. There's a lot of talk about oil dilution with these engines so I am a little paranoid. When doing my first oil change (6777km/4211mi) I noticed a little bit of a fuel spell when I was draining the oil. I did a sniff test of the dip stick and noticed it too. I was curious being the first oil change if that's maybe more normal with the engine breaking in. Other than some on-ramp fun I don't drive it hard. I was planning on doing an exhaust and a couple other bolt ons now just a little nervous if now I may have to do a warranty claim.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Toronto Canada

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Fuel in the oil is inevitable in a direct injection vehicle. As long as it is low it’s fine, which you won’t be able to know just by sniffing it. The only way to know how much % of fuel is in the oil is by an oil analysis. (Coming from a 10th gen civic with several oil analysis) Short trips are bad for the 1.5L turbo engines. Just because the coolant temperature gauge is in the optimized range doesn’t mean the oil temps are. If you do a lot of short trips where the oil temps never get hot you will have a build up of fuel in your oil, and run into oil dilution issues as well as oil thinning. You always want the oil temps to get hot, what the 10th gen community learned and what I noticed while doing my oil analysis (using Amsoil 5w-30 SS because I was running E85).. maybe once a week or every so often drive the car HARD and really get the oil temps up high, doing so will help evaporate some of the fuel in the oil. It is a preventative measure to prevent a build up of fuel in the oil. Again fuel in the oil is inevitable, but there is an acceptable level of fuel in the oil, which is less than 2%. After switching to a higher quality oil as well as driving hard every so often I went from getting my fuel % from 2.4% down to 0.3-0.5% which is acceptable.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A spec tech package 6 MT
Hey everyone. First post and new to the Acura world. Just completed my first oil change on my 2023 Integra Aspec Tech 6m. There's a lot of talk about oil dilution with these engines so I am a little paranoid. When doing my first oil change (6777km/4211mi) I noticed a little bit of a fuel spell when I was draining the oil. I did a sniff test of the dip stick and noticed it too. I was curious being the first oil change if that's maybe more normal with the engine breaking in. Other than some on-ramp fun I don't drive it hard. I was planning on doing an exhaust and a couple other bolt ons now just a little nervous if now I may have to do a warranty claim.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Toronto Canada
The 1.5T is fairly notorious for having some fuel dilution, although enough to be a significant problem is fairly rare. My suggestion is to not rely on the sniff test and if it is something that you are paranoid about get an oil analysis done. I've used blackstone in the past, I'm sure there are others.

And now that your car is well broken in, DON'T baby it 100% all the time. Give it the beans every now and then. Also, don't let it idle for excessive periods of time.

OP
OP
foeman33

foeman33

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fuel in the oil is inevitable in a direct injection vehicle. As long as it is low it’s fine, which you won’t be able to know just by sniffing it. The only way to know how much % of fuel is in the oil is by an oil analysis. (Coming from a 10th gen civic with several oil analysis) Short trips are bad for the 1.5L turbo engines. Just because the coolant temperature gauge is in the optimized range doesn’t mean the oil temps are. If you do a lot of short trips where the oil temps never get hot you will have a build up of fuel in your oil, and run into oil dilution issues as well as oil thinning. You always want the oil temps to get hot, what the 10th gen community learned and what I noticed while doing my oil analysis (using Amsoil 5w-30 SS because I was running E85).. maybe once a week or every so often drive the car HARD and really get the oil temps up high, doing so will help evaporate some of the fuel in the oil. It is a preventative measure to prevent a build up of fuel in the oil. Again fuel in the oil is inevitable, but there is an acceptable level of fuel in the oil, which is less than 2%. After switching to a higher quality oil as well as driving hard every so often I went from getting my fuel % from 2.4% down to 0.3-0.5% which is acceptable.
Appreciate all the advice. Makes me feel a lot better. I’ll keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
foeman33

foeman33

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The 1.5T is fairly notorious for having some fuel dilution, although enough to be a significant problem is fairly rare. My suggestion is to not rely on the sniff test and if it is something that you are paranoid about get an oil analysis done. I've used blackstone in the past, I'm sure there are others.

And now that your car is well broken in, DON'T baby it 100% all the time. Give it the beans every now and then. Also, don't let it idle for excessive periods of time.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll be doing exactly that. Cheers