• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ELS Audio with JL Audio HO W6 Subwoofers (with stock ELS 16 Speakers).

RcLab1

First Name
Integra
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Aspec w/Technology
Hello all.
The ELS sound good, but we all know it could be better.
The HIGHS and Mid's are totally fine. I just wanted more BASS.

Is this possible?
I went to my local Pro Audio custom installation place and I told them I want to upgrade my Subwoofers.

Two things I didn't want change was the factory tuning for the ELS 16 speakers. He said "no problem at all", "what we can do is leave EVERYTHING STOCK and just "bridge/parallel" the JL Audio upgraded Powered Subwoofer to the Integra stock ELS system." The actual stock ELS subwoofer will still be working!!!!

Is this possible without removing the Stock Subwoofer and without messing up our ELS factory tune?

I would be purchasing 3 items:
JL audio HO box 10" W6 subwoofer,
500 watt JL audio Amp mono.
Wiring kit and installation.

Everything is kept factory, it would just be like adding "more BASS" to a stock system.

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
In for any updates. Every new car system can be cracked in some way. It just depends on your budget and the bang for the buck.

wolfeman007

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A Spec, Tech, 6MT, 2019 Tundra 4x4
Hello all.

Is this possible?
I went to my local Pro Audio custom installation place and I told them I want to upgrade my Subwoofers.

Two things I didn't want change was the factory tuning for the ELS 16 speakers. He said "no problem at all", "what we can do is leave EVERYTHING STOCK and just "bridge/parallel" the JL Audio upgraded Powered Subwoofer to the Integra stock ELS system." The actual stock ELS subwoofer will still be working!!!!

Is this possible without removing the Stock Subwoofer and without messing up our ELS factory tune?

I would be purchasing 3 items:
JL audio HO box 10" W6 subwoofer,
500 watt JL audio Amp mono.
Wiring kit and installation.

Everything is kept factory, it would just be like adding "more BASS" to a stock system.
how much did they want to do it? Im interested as well, system sounds great but just need some more umpf.

OP
OP

RcLab1

First Name
Integra
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
$900 installed for the JL Audio 10" HO box with W6 Subwoofer built in.
$500 JL Audio 500-600 Amp installed and wiring kit.
$55 for tuning knob to adjust Subwoofer from driver seat.
Plus taxes.

Is this a good deal?

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I'm interested since I have a 1000w Sony xplod attached to 2 mdx 10" in a box that have been in my garage for 3 years.

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT, 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6
Hello all.

Is this possible?

I didn't want change the factory tuning for the ELS 16 speakers. He said "no problem at all", "what we can do is leave EVERYTHING STOCK and just "bridge/parallel" the JL Audio Powered Subwoofer to the Integra stock ELS system." The actual stock ELS subwoofer will still be working!!!!

Is it possible to get more Bass by adding more subwoofers?
Yes
Is it possible to do it without messing up the factory tune?
No - the frequency response curve of whatever "system" you add will most definitely be different than what Acura has in there. Between materials and software, Acura has done a lot of tuning to get that system to where it is. A good DSP could compensate for that difference at a limited range of volume levels. A great DSP might be able to compensate at many volume levels through the use of multiple presets.

My personal thought on the matter having performed similar modifications to a few cars - if you're going to do it, delete the factory sub and replace it with the aftermarket unit, so that you're minimizing the potential for interference between the frequency curves.

One more thing to think about - fairly certain there is some fake engine noise pumped through our audio system. I don't think it's a lot, but typically when fake engine noise is added it's focused around the low frequencies. I would have them check the signal on the subwoofer, especially through the different drive modes while driving, before committing to anything to make sure that there is no noise being pumped in. If there is, you'll need to find a way to disable that fake noise to get a clean signal to aftermarket subwoofers.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
One more thing to think about - fairly certain there is some fake engine noise pumped through our audio system. I don't think it's a lot, but typically when fake engine noise is added it's focused around the low frequencies.
I'd love to know for certain, but I don't think we get the Civic's fake engine noise--I might keep my music too loud, but I struggle to hear the engine. Not on topic, but does anyone else think we actually do have fake engine noised pumped in?

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd love to know for certain, but I don't think we get the Civic's fake engine noise--I might keep my music too loud, but I struggle to hear the engine. Not on topic, but does anyone else think we actually do have fake engine noised pumped in?
If you go back and listen to the first drive reviews with in-car audio, it's very clear there is some audio change between the modes. There was a particular one that it was very obvious in - can't remember the reviewer but I remember quite clearly that they changed from normal to sport, said there was no noticeable difference, but yet there was an obvious change in the engine sound. Since we don't have active exhaust I have always attributed that to fake noise.

Tylershuman07

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Was the review for a manual or CVT? For a CVT, engine noise is going to increase as you go from normal/comfort to sport because the car will go to a higher engine rev. Doesn’t necessarily mean that there is fake engine noise.

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was the review for a manual or CVT? For a CVT, engine noise is going to increase as you go from normal/comfort to sport because the car will go to a higher engine rev. Doesn’t necessarily mean that there is fake engine noise.
Review was for a manual.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
If you go back and listen to the first drive reviews with in-car audio, it's very clear there is some audio change between the modes. There was a particular one that it was very obvious in - can't remember the reviewer but I remember quite clearly that they changed from normal to sport, said there was no noticeable difference, but yet there was an obvious change in the engine sound. Since we don't have active exhaust I have always attributed that to fake noise.
There was an acura press release that stated sport mode had pumped in noise.

Personally, I don't like sport mode. No more power, no real change other than an accelerated throttle pedal response, I prefer normal. My question is if there is pumped in noise in normal mode as it feels the most natural with the actual cars performance.

OP
OP

RcLab1

First Name
Integra
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A3REDT

Not to go off topic, but would adding one JL Audio 10" Subwoofer HO box and a list of other JL Audio products in a stock 2022 Honda Accord sound much better then a Acura ELS system?
The list is in the picture I attached.

20221201_183142~2.jpg

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I'm not the person you mentioned but that price for an audio system seems a bit expensive.

Wojo

First Name
Beef Cake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec CVT, 2015 TLX , 2002 TL Type S
$ 4,300 for a new stereo system seems very high seeing that the stock system is pretty good,
the only thing i would like is a little more power,