• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bogs down in sport+ mode when not on throttle - DE5

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra Type S
Anyone else get pretty bad bogging down sensation when you let off the throttle in Sport+ Mode? Could just be needing to up-shift so that it can coast better. But, the car seems like it really wants to engine brake when I let off the throttle in Sport+ mode

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I haven't experienced this I don't think. I guess it depends on RPM's as far as engine braking goes.

If you are accelerating briskly, then abruptly let off throttle at like 4 or 5k RPM's, then yes, lots of engine braking. I haven't experienced anything negative or unexpected though.

OP
OP

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I haven't experienced this I don't think. I guess it depends on RPM's as far as engine braking goes.

If you are accelerating briskly, then abruptly let off throttle at like 4 or 5k RPM's, then yes, lots of engine braking. I haven't experienced anything negative or unexpected though.
Thanks for the reply. I think it is normal, but I have not really driven a car like this before, so I was not sure if it was normal or not.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I'm fairly certain it's engine braking you're feeling. Personally my Lauda butt monitor tends to think that in Comfort mode the computer both retards the delivery of fuel when you push on the gas and keeps it flowing when you quickly let off the gas so it gives a smoother ride. In Sport+ mode I can feel it the moment I let go even a mm which is just how I like it.

OP
OP

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm fairly certain it's engine braking you're feeling. Personally my Lauda butt monitor tends to think that in Comfort mode the computer both retards the delivery of fuel when you push on the gas and keeps it flowing when you quickly let off the gas so it gives a smoother ride. In Sport+ mode I can feel it the moment I let go even a mm which is just how I like it.
I've definitely noticed the throttle lag in Comfort mode vs Sport+ mode, but I think I am just starting to notice more with the car itself.

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
Yep, look up "engine compression braking." Totally normal and that's what you're experiencing.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I've definitely noticed the throttle lag in Comfort mode vs Sport+ mode, but I think I am just starting to notice more with the car itself.
When I got the car, I think it was the third drive where I forgot to put it into Individual mode(Sport+ engine) and I had this huge moment of panic/regret as I drove. It felt like I had a sponge between my foot and the pedal where as driving it home it felt decent. I was temporarily disappointed that I spent $60kCAD on the ITS and my Civic SI felt better to drive.

Now that I'm more familiar I appreciate the finer details that allows me to have a more tame car in traffic, and a hell of a machine on open roads. I can still feel the 300lbs different between the two but I have absolutely no regrets after getting to know the car better.

Enjoy learning all the subtleties and don't worry about it.

OP
OP

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When I got the car, I think it was the third drive where I forgot to put it into Individual mode(Sport+ engine) and I had this huge moment of panic/regret as I drove. It felt like I had a sponge between my foot and the pedal where as driving it home it felt decent. I was temporarily disappointed that I spent $60kCAD on the ITS and my Civic SI felt better to drive.

Now that I'm more familiar I appreciate the finer details that allows me to have a more tame car in traffic, and a hell of a machine on open roads. I can still feel the 300lbs different between the two but I have absolutely no regrets after getting to know the car better.

Enjoy learning all the subtleties and don't worry about it.
What was the sponge issue? Had it in comfort mode?

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
What was the sponge issue? Had it in comfort mode?
The throttle lag. It's my physical analogy of what it feels like the computer is doing.

Imagine the sponge compressing between your foot and the pedal. You know your leg is moving and you're expecting the cars to accelerate a certain way but the sponge compresses removing most of the force applied to the pedal which gives a muted feeling.

When you're not expecting that, it feels horrible but in stop and go traffic, I've come to really appreciate it, it probably saves me a few mpg.

And comfort mode as in the lowest setting for the various drive modes. The car defaults to it upon start up.

JCJai

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Abarth 500, 2024 Integra Type S
Do you all find engine braking noticeable? I could be coasting downhill, shift to 2nd hoping for engine braking to manage the speed but I don't feel there's enough so always have to apply the brake pedal.

OP
OP

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you all find engine braking noticeable? I could be coasting downhill, shift to 2nd hoping for engine braking to manage the speed but I don't feel there's enough so always have to apply the brake pedal.
Assuming what I am feeling is engine braking, I notice it more in sport+ mode than comfort mode. Also, I recently turned on rev match and noticed that it causes engine braking to lag a bit as the revs stay up a bit longer than a throttle blip.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Just got back from a long "fun" drive. It engine brakes all it needs to, but that doesn't mean you don't need to apply the brakes. Engine braking doesn't really do all that much to actually slow the car down, at least not to the point where you'd want it to... brakes are there for a reason.

It is such a great car. So easy and rewarding to drive on good roads, within legal limits. Plenty of usable power that feels accessible and fun without rocketing you to lose-your-license territory in the blink of an eye. Not many cars can advertise that.

What works the best for me on these sorts of intentional drives for pure pleasure is Sport+ all the way, and VSA completely disabled. My Individual mode puts the suspension in Comfort but Sport+ is actually usable in this car you just want to make sure you're on the right roads unless you just like bouncing more (some people are weird and may prefer this...).

I notice the throttle response diminishing in the various modes, especially in Comfort, but it isn't hard to get used to. I mostly prefer Sport+ for the noise on the street but yes I definitely want the extra responsiveness if I'm doing track/auto-x stuff.

I'm not real sure why Sport+ would cause a more noticeable increase in engine braking. I'm not sure that's what's going on here... but IDK, it isn't really noticeably different than any other manual sports car I've driven in that regard.

OP
OP

CatBus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just got back from a long "fun" drive. It engine brakes all it needs to, but that doesn't mean you don't need to apply the brakes. Engine braking doesn't really do all that much to actually slow the car down, at least not to the point where you'd want it to... brakes are there for a reason.

It is such a great car. So easy and rewarding to drive on good roads, within legal limits. Plenty of usable power that feels accessible and fun without rocketing you to lose-your-license territory in the blink of an eye. Not many cars can advertise that.

What works the best for me on these sorts of intentional drives for pure pleasure is Sport+ all the way, and VSA completely disabled. My Individual mode puts the suspension in Comfort but Sport+ is actually usable in this car you just want to make sure you're on the right roads unless you just like bouncing more (some people are weird and may prefer this...).

I notice the throttle response diminishing in the various modes, especially in Comfort, but it isn't hard to get used to. I mostly prefer Sport+ for the noise on the street but yes I definitely want the extra responsiveness if I'm doing track/auto-x stuff.

I'm not real sure why Sport+ would cause a more noticeable increase in engine braking. I'm not sure that's what's going on here... but IDK, it isn't really noticeably different than any other manual sports car I've driven in that regard.
It could definitely be how I drive in comfort mode vs sport+ mode. I rev it out more in sport+ mode. I have no other manual transmission sports cars to compare to.

How long did it take you to learn the pedal dance to turn VSA completely off?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
It could definitely be how I drive in comfort mode vs sport+ mode. I rev it out more in sport+ mode. I have no other manual transmission sports cars to compare to.

How long did it take you to learn the pedal dance to turn VSA completely off?
Instantly, but I do have to remember it if I don't do it for a while.

The correct sequence is:

1) foot on the brake pedal only, push TC button twice
2) parking brake on only, push TC button twice
3) both foot on pedal and parking brake on, push TC button twice.

Other ways I try to remember it is that if you're on an incline the car will always have some sort of brake pressure applied during the entire sequence, and it ends with both brakes applied. That works most of the time (but I do have to google it most of the time because my brain is already full of nonsense and is easily confused).

At an autocross I'd have to do this before every run, becomes second nature. Just remember that if you turn the car off or press the button again, you have to do it over again.

It would be nice to just hold the button down and have it off but it is what it is, end of the day it's not a huge compromise.

edit- and yes, if the revs are higher you will definitely notice engine braking a lot more. I think that may explain it.

ST675R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Triumph Street Triple R; '17 VW GTI
Not much engine braking and mostly just the sound of higher revs. I've spent a lot of time on tight mountain roads and sometimes ask, "why did I just downshift?" Mostly it's a habit from riding a 400lb motorcycle where engine braking has a bigger impact.