• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Apex VS5-RS wheels, not a good fit for Michelin PS4S tires???

GTO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 17 BRZ
Thanks for posting on your experience. Will definitely help others.
We did try the core and the stem stuff. Spraying soapy water reveals the bead seat as the culprit.
I thought I was good with the second tire, but after about a week I lost 10lbs of air overnight. Threw some soapy water on and sure enough, same issue.
Thorough troubleshooting confirmed:)

Since you reseated two different tires with the same result, it seems to be the wheel:(

I've generally experienced excellent service with Apex but sometimes it has been a case of needing to talk with the right person. In those cases, they were willing to make things right by meeting halfway so it may be worth checking with them again for options.

These situations really suck and I sympathize with your disappointment and frustration. I hope it all works out soon and you are happy with the result.

Good luck!

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Shit. Iā€™m having these mounted as we speak to the same wheel. The Contiā€™s went on fine. I guess Iā€™ll report back when I go to pick it up in a few hours.

OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Thorough troubleshooting confirmed:)

Since you reseated two different tires with the same result, it seems to be the wheel:(

I've generally experienced excellent service with Apex but sometimes it has been a case of needing to talk with the right person. In those cases, they were willing to make things right by meeting halfway so it may be worth checking with them again for options.

These situations really suck and I sympathize with your disappointment and frustration. I hope it all works out soon and you are happy with the result.

Good luck!
thats what I said! if the Conti's won't seat then we'll know for sure!

Shit. Iā€™m having these mounted as we speak to the same wheel. The Contiā€™s went on fine. I guess Iā€™ll report back when I go to pick it up in a few hours.
keep us posted. hope it works out just fine!

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I have the same setup, one rim wouldn't hold air, so they pulled the tire, cleaned it and reseated it. Has held pressure at stock and 40psi+ like a champ since. Does make me worried about getting some 285s to seat properly though...
Just mounted this tire in 285/35/18 but only drove home 40 minutes so far to beat the storms & get dinner started. No time for pics but did drive it hard to pass people driving 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane of course so it saw speeds up to about 115-120. All holding air well so far but parked up on ramps in the shop until the overnight storms pass. Got quite a bit of work done today as well but will post in the ā€œWhat did you do today threadā€ later bc the kids are hungry & weā€™re hangry šŸ˜† @StingertimeNC

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2819.jpeg

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Great news....not..I'm still on my all seasons with the stock rims...Plan was to have the PS4S mounted to my Apex rims this weekend...I'll wait for more info...

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I read somewhere that the bead area is much smaller on the PS4S. The contis should be fine.

OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Just mounted this tire in 285/35/18 but only drove home 40 minutes so far to beat the storms & get dinner started. No time for pics but did drive it hard to pass people driving 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane of course so it saw speeds up to about 115-120. All holding air well so far but parked up on ramps in the shop until the overnight storms pass. Got quite a bit of work done today as well but will post in the ā€œWhat did you do today threadā€ later bc the kids are hungry & weā€™re hangry šŸ˜† @StingertimeNC

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2819.jpeg
Keep your eye on it. I had no issues the first three days, then bam, complete air loss in the span of an hour, maybe 90 minutes. Then switched the new tire over, and that lasted a week before it started losing air again. Caught it when it was 10 lbs down. Filled it up to 44 psi and left it for two days, then just dropped it to 35 psi today. so far holding. Switching to Conti's anyway, as I feel like I can't trust it. If you make it through a few weeks, then you'll probably be fine. Best of luck!

That is one meaty setup!

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Keep your eye on it. I had no issues the first three days, then bam, complete air loss in the span of an hour, maybe 90 minutes. Then switched the new tire over, and that lasted a week before it started losing air again. Caught it when it was 10 lbs down. Filled it up to 44 psi and left it for two days, then just dropped it to 35 psi today. so far holding. Switching to Conti's anyway, as I feel like I can't trust it. If you make it through a few weeks, then you'll probably be fine. Best of luck!

That is one meaty setup!
I was going to ask you exactly that - how much time you had between having the air loss & adding air, etc. Thanks for the description! Iā€™m hoping too man. I like my Contiā€™s but these do grip a lot better & I was excited to try them in 18ā€. Iā€™d like to make it work somehow since these Apex wheel would be my winter/track wheels even if I got a second set of 18ā€. Weā€™ll see! I really think Apex should put a disclaimer out for that.

crepr12

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS Black on Black
Made inquiry to Apex and the reply basically echoed what was posted here already.
They did send theses pics which helps illustrate how the PS4S bead is narrower than some other brands.
From this it's understandable that the knurling may effect bead seating.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 1.54.51 PM.png

copied from a bmw forum....smmfh......pic is misleading pressure is being applied on the Falken tire...Are they even the same rim type?..I figured more eyes may spot other issues

OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I agree that the picture is misleading. Pressure is not being applied in the same way.
However, experience is definitely showing that there is an issue of some sort.

One thing I will report is now that it's warmed up here, the wheel is holding air pressure. Three days and counting. Maybe the heat and extra pressure has caused the rubber to conform better? who knows. I'm still switching tire brands. Hope the Conti's work right out of the box.

Also, three of my tires/wheels haven't had any issues. Also others have had no issues with Michelins. Craziness!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Made inquiry to Apex and the reply basically echoed what was posted here already.
They did send theses pics which helps illustrate how the PS4S bead is narrower than some other brands.
From this it's understandable that the knurling may effect bead seating.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 1.54.51 PM.png

copied from a bmw forum....smmfh......pic is misleading pressure is being applied on the Falken tire...Are they even the same rim type?..I figured more eyes may spot other issues
Yeah that's where I saw it.. couldn't remember

bigmikevegas

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ABP Integra Type-S
Man, Iā€™m reading all this and Iā€™m finally vindicated.

I fought with the tire installer, thought one of my wheels was bent, had issues for the first couple weeks to the point where I had buyers remorse with the vs-5rs, still have a bit of resentment and have been wanting to trade or sell mine tbh, they are great wheels but I just kind of want to be done with it.

Iā€™m still using the PS4S, reseated all the tires and made sure they were good, running 35psi in the front and 33 in the rear, hasnā€™t been that much of an issue since it started getting warmer but one of my wheels is on the cusp of being out of balance, the tire place canā€™t do anything about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Man, Iā€™m reading all this and Iā€™m finally vindicated.

I fought with the tire installer, thought one of my wheels was bent, had issues for the first couple weeks to the point where I had buyers remorse with the vs-5rs, still have a bit of resentment and have been wanting to trade or sell mine tbh, they are great wheels but I just kind of want to be done with it.

Iā€™m still using the PS4S without any issues, reseated all the tires and made sure they were good, running 35psi in the front and 33 in the rear.

Anyone want to trade wheels? Haha
So frustrating right? I feel exactly the same. was so pumped for these wheels, now the uncertainty just stinks. Air pressure is still holding as of today though.

Krazydan19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Model x, model 3, Rdx, triumph, ITS
All these stores suck to hear. I really wanted to order a set of brushed clear. Now I have no idea what wheels to getā€¦.. no idea this was even a thing this day and age.

OP
OP
StingertimeNC

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Honestly I think I would look for something without the knurling in the bead seat area. Before settling on these wheels, I searched through Enkei, Motegi, and on and on, looking for +45 offset in a 5 x 120 pattern, and their just wasn't much out there in the affordable realm, that also offered a significant weight reduction, and looked right on the car. If you aren't married to the Michelin tires I think these will be fine.