• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
It's also worth comparing possible competition (not just the Type R) as I tend to be in the camp that Acura will want to keep the ITS under the CTR in terms of outright performance, and thus could result in a similar or lower starting price point. From the reviews I've seen on the CTR it seems less daily driver friendly than the FK8 was being much stiffer and harsher on regular roads. The ITS will be softer, have more features, but still benefit from some of the CTR's performance upgrades.

Just one example would be the Audi A3... the regular A3 starts around $4-5k more than a base Integra. The S3 starts around $45k... using that metric, Acura could aim to shave that $5k-ish markup from the Integra to make it competitive. Either a detuned CTR 2.0T or the related TLX 2.0T coming in around 272-285hp and making the price of entry $39,990 (about $43k after taxes and destination and such) brings it well under the competition Acura claims it goes against. Keeps it under the CTR in terms of outright performance, but would still offer a relatively competitive vehicle for the segment.

The thing that *might* work in the ITS favor is keeping the curb weight lower than the german rivals to make the most out of the lower HP numbers. But given that the regular Integra, despite having a class competitive 200hp, has a tested 0-60 behind many of those german cars claiming to make around the same power (while being heavier too) tells me Acura doesn't really care that much about outright quickness and will prefer a well balanced car that again blends the best aspects of handling, adequate power, while being a leader in price, practicality for daily use, and features per dollar.

But at the same time, I could see them going all in balls to the wall CTR copy and this being a $47k car (which would put it OVER the starting prices of some of its competition... which in terms of how Acura is marketing the Integra as a whole, seems unlikely, and they'll care more about undercutting competition than competing with the CTR.

Carmeezy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Acura RDX A-Spec / Adv
It's also worth comparing possible competition (not just the Type R) as I tend to be in the camp that Acura will want to keep the ITS under the CTR in terms of outright performance, and thus could result in a similar or lower starting price point. From the reviews I've seen on the CTR it seems less daily driver friendly than the FK8 was being much stiffer and harsher on regular roads. The ITS will be softer, have more features, but still benefit from some of the CTR's performance upgrades.

Just one example would be the Audi A3... the regular A3 starts around $4-5k more than a base Integra. The S3 starts around $45k... using that metric, Acura could aim to shave that $5k-ish markup from the Integra to make it competitive. Either a detuned CTR 2.0T or the related TLX 2.0T coming in around 272-285hp and making the price of entry $39,990 (about $43k after taxes and destination and such) brings it well under the competition Acura claims it goes against. Keeps it under the CTR in terms of outright performance, but would still offer a relatively competitive vehicle for the segment.

The thing that *might* work in the ITS favor is keeping the curb weight lower than the german rivals to make the most out of the lower HP numbers. But given that the regular Integra, despite having a class competitive 200hp, has a tested 0-60 behind many of those german cars claiming to make around the same power (while being heavier too) tells me Acura doesn't really care that much about outright quickness and will prefer a well balanced car that again blends the best aspects of handling, adequate power, while being a leader in price, practicality for daily use, and features per dollar.

But at the same time, I could see them going all in balls to the wall CTR copy and this being a $47k car (which would put it OVER the starting prices of some of its competition... which in terms of how Acura is marketing the Integra as a whole, seems unlikely, and they'll care more about undercutting competition than competing with the CTR.
Gotta be balls to the wall! :headbang: They even went through the trouble of making its own widebody kit.

Also, hard to judge directly against the germans since their pricing scheme is mental. You want the best Integra, you buy the top trim and your done. All german cars have a base price that then rises based on package. You want the best s3 (minus additional accessories, just the top package), that starts at 52k. The CLA is the same story.

I’d argue 47k is pretty competitive, but I’m just a consumer. Who knows what those industry execs are thinking…

hollis

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL 3rd Gen
Multiple sources have claimed it will be same type R engine and from the pictures sure confirms it.

Honda wants the type R to be very limited and looks like they get there wish. Estimates are 7500 units for US over 3 years. Last model was about 4500units/year. The factory where its made can only produce 480 units/month for every country. Btw, 10k units are going to Japan already. Why? Maybe they want to give a boost in sales to Acura with a real Type S in terms of performance and entry level luxury features. Acura division is struggling and needs desperate help. TLX type s received lack luster reviews and sales for being a performance vehicle, but great GT vehicle.

The ITS will likely be made in USA and have a vastly larger production numbers.

If Honda wants to keep type r as its king, fine. The type r is 5.1sec car, make the type s a 5.5sec car. Which will happen naturally by just adding 200lbs of luxury features. Objective achieved.

I think the type r is artificially priced too high, should have been more along 41.5k if following inflation and competitors. So ITS adds 5k of luxury features makes the sale price 47k

oknotok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Waiting
1669242854821.png

I spent way too much time putting this together, but I wanted to get a sense of the competition Acura would have pricing the Type S. From a volume perspective, I think it is in their advantage to drop the TLX 2.0T and price it right at or slightly under the CTR ~$44k.

I would love to see a luxury version of the CTR and see it priced under $48k. They have a ton of competition already under $50k, and most other options are faster and have more luxury features. Pricing is challenging when the CTR MSRP is significantly higher than the previous gen. CTR at $40k and the ITS at $45k would be very palatable and way more competitive.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM

You make a couple really good points.
- S3: Very typical of Honda to benchmark. S3 pricing, minus some undercutting, likely gives us the ballpark. So $52.6K CAN for S3, $48K-49K sounds about right for ITS.

- wall balls: Honda doesn’t do balls to the wall, at least not in NA. This isn’t an R vehicle, Acura isn’t doing great wrt sales, all signs point to same or slightly cheaper price than CTR. Same pricing doesn’t make for much of a story, a little cheaper for most of the perf is something that gets some new customers in the door.

TypeSiR

First Name
Car Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1.5T Civic, CTR, MX-5, Fit
1669242854821.png

I spent way too much time putting this together, but I wanted to get a sense of the competition Acura would have pricing the Type S. From a volume perspective, I think it is in their advantage to drop the TLX 2.0T and price it right at or slightly under the CTR ~$44k.

I would love to see a luxury version of the CTR and see it priced under $48k. They have a ton of competition already under $50k, and most other options are faster and have more luxury features. Pricing is challenging when the CTR MSRP is significantly higher than the previous gen. CTR at $40k and the ITS at $45k would be very palatable and way more competitive.
There's a pretty big gap between 36k to 40k. A couple more TLX trims already occupy 44k to 48k.

1669244556683.png

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N(sold)
At first I thought the exhaust tips were straight out of the Type R, but after looking at it for months now I'm pretty sure they're different.
Both are oOo but the Type R's center tip is much larger than the test vehicle's.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Just for fun I quickly corrected the stretching of the side-view mirror shot of the Type S so we can get a better look at it. Looks pretty aggressive.

integra-type-s-corrected.jpg

Also I don't think those are vents on the side of the hood. Those same black pieces are all over the body - maybe sensors for collecting data?
I think its Velcro from the original black cladding they had over the vehicle.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT

I agree. It was clear when the Si came out losing features like fog lights and heated seats, that Honda was making room for the tegs. For the FL5 they made it much stiffer than the FK8 and gave it more power. Again leaving room for the ITS. Since it is being tested with center exhaust that tells me they literally dropped a CTR motor in it to test. They wouldn’t put the TLX k20 in it and redo the exhaust when the tegs was already built for traditional dual side tips. It might not finish that way, but it currently has the center exhaust bc it was cheaper and faster to drop the entire drivetrain in. My guess is that the ITS will be more similar to the FK8 plus the tech trim features. Plus a couple more things and it’ll be called the ITS Advanced.

So from bottom to top you can get the Si for 28k (not accounting for dealer greed) basically stripped, the tegs for 32k stripped and a little softer, fancy tegs for 36k really nice comfort, ITS for 40k basically an FK8 drivetrain and suspension on the 11th gen platform and Acura features, and the CTR for 44k that is stiff and track ready. That’s a nice spread and each model has its unique reasons for owning.

The people who think the ITS is going to be more than the CTR aka 47+ just aren’t thinking clearly. Acura isn’t going to price the car above the S3. That’s what Acura considers the main competitor. It’s going to undercut it just like it did with the base. But since we know it’ll have tech package feature plus some, there’s no way it also gets the FL5 motor. But it also has the center exhaust on the mule. So it’s seems pretty obvious to me that it’s the FK8 motor.

Last edited:

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Gotta be balls to the wall! :headbang: They even went through the trouble of making its own widebody kit.

Also, hard to judge directly against the germans since their pricing scheme is mental. You want the best Integra, you buy the top trim and your done. All german cars have a base price that then rises based on package. You want the best s3 (minus additional accessories, just the top package), that starts at 52k. The CLA is the same story.

I’d argue 47k is pretty competitive, but I’m just a consumer. Who knows what those industry execs are thinking…
Fair point as the Germans advertised price is nearing on bait and switch. But marketing is what it is. People see 45k for an s3 and 47k for the ITS, they walk into the Audi dealer. They aren’t going to realize or care that the ITS is much better equipped and to get matching features puts the s3 over 50k. Now it’s in the dealers hands to close the deal. Marketing did its job and got them in the door. Acura will price it so it undercuts them on the internet ad.

Last edited:

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Summarizing my last two posts, FK8 k20 gives it less power but still type s worthy power (272 with the tlx motor will be looked at poorly with consumers. “This is a type s, but this has the same power and it’s a base”). Allows the FL5 to remain king as a type r should be over a type s. Allows for more features to be added as it’s an older motor meaning less cost attribution. And better fits with the competition. Acura is more interested in the segment competition than Hondas competition. This is why it has the center exhaust and “insiders” have claimed it’s the ctr motor. They didn’t say which ctr though.

oknotok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Waiting
I agree. It was clear when the Si came out losing features like fog lights and heated seats, that Honda was making room for the tegs. For the FL5 they made it much stiffer than the FK8 and gave it more power. Again leaving room for the ITS. Since it is being tested with center exhaust that tells me they literally dropped a CTR motor in it to test. They wouldn’t put the TLX k20 in it and redo the exhaust when the tegs was already built for traditional dual side tips. It might not finish that way, but it currently has the center exhaust bc it was cheaper and faster to drop the entire drivetrain in. My guess is that the ITS will be more similar to the FK8 plus the tech trim features. Plus a couple more things and it’ll be called the ITS Advanced.

So from bottom to top you can get the Si for 28k (not accounting for dealer greed) basically stripped, the tegs for 32k stripped and a little softer, fancy tegs for 36k really nice comfort, ITS for 40k basically an FK8 drivetrain and suspension on the 11th gen platform, and the CTR for 44k that is stiff and track ready. That’s a nice spread and each model has its unique reasons for owning.

The people who think the ITS is going to be more than the CTR aka 47+ just aren’t thinking clearly. Acura isn’t going to price the car above the S3. That’s what Acura considers the main competitor. It’s going to undercut it just like it did with the base. But since we know it’ll have tech package feature plus some, there’s no way it also gets the FL5 motor. But it also has the center exhaust on the mule. So it’s seems pretty obvious to me that it’s the FK8 motor.
FK8 motor and built in the US might just make the ITS priced more reasonably. I didn't think of the CTR as the halo car for both brands. Pricing between the base TLX and the CTR does seem plausible.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
FK8 motor and built in the US might just make the ITS priced more reasonably. I didn't think of the CTR as the halo car for both brands. Pricing between the base TLX and the CTR does seem plausible.
Exactly. Lots of fresh r&d for the FL5 motor. Needs to be justified and any car it goes in will command a premium for it. Hence the price jump on the FL5.

FK8 motor has paid for itself already. Drop it in and it’s just icing on the cake for every ITS sale. And allows them to better control the baked in cost as it’s all gravy.

What do we know for sure at this point? At least right now it has center exhaust and insiders say it’s the ctr motor. We know it’ll have at least the features of the tech package tegs. And we know Acura will want it listed under the advertised price of the S3.

How do we achieve these 3 things? With the older FK8 motor, built here with no import fees.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Exactly. Lots of fresh r&d for the FL5 motor. Needs to be justified and any car it goes in will command a premium for it. Hence the price jump on the FL5.

FK8 motor has paid for itself already. Drop it in and it’s just icing on the cake for every ITS sale. And allows them to better control the baked in cost as it’s all gravy.

What do we know for sure at this point? At least right now it has center exhaust and insiders say it’s the ctr motor. We know it’ll have at least the features of the tech package tegs. And we know Acura will want it listed under the advertised price of the S3.

How do we achieve these 3 things? With the older FK8 motor, built here with no import fees.
Motors are the same between the FK8 and FL5. Now the FL5 has a updated turbo design and the intake has a manifold for enhanced sound. But both are rocking a K20C1 motor.

oknotok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Waiting
Motors are the same between the FK8 and FL5. Now the FL5 has a updated turbo design and the intake has a manifold for enhanced sound. But both are rocking a K20C1 motor.
The final ITS packaging could still have a few key differences that would hopefully net a lower price.
  • Even with the same motor, they could have a lower total output identical to the FK8. Thus making it the 2nd best performance option in the Honda/Acura lineup
  • Less or none of the additional chassis reinforcement that the CTR gets in Japan
  • No import fees like Mike said above, with everything made stateside.
Here is hoping for a $42k manual ITS. I will be leaning toward this compared to the GRC given all the extra features it has, and is way more practical.