• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

So what exactly is the Data Sharing Notification we're getting, actually sharing ?

QUIKAG

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6M
Just a guess, if you have GPS turned on with your phone there's tracking happening for this whether you're aware or not.

My way around this is only carrying a pager and use the internet at my local library to post on these forums. YMMV
You're likely not wrong. I use Waze almost every single time I drive and Waze is well aware of my "efficient" driving. :D If Google (who owns Waze) is or decides to sell my driving data, I'm f-ed there too. :D

koatic

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
93 EH with 97 JDM ITR swap, 2024 ABP/ orchid ITS
Read their privacy statement specifically the bottom paragraph on this excerpt...
They share the data reporting that its been "deleted" :dunno:

Privacy Policy – Vehicle Privacy Report

Our Sharing of Personal Data

We share Personal Data with service providers that perform certain tasks on our behalf in connection with our Site and Service. Specifically, we share Personal Data with a limited number of service providers:

• ClickMore Media, which processes and stores Personal Data to allow us to provide technology to operate our Services.
We require service providers to take reasonable steps to ensure that they keep Personal Data confidential and encourage them to only utilize Personal Data as permitted.

We also may share Personal Data:

• with your consent, such to tender a consumer rights request on your behalf;
  • to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process or otherwise as required or allowed by law or the competent governmental or judicial authorities;
  • to cooperate with law enforcement, government or regulatory entities, and safety or investigation authorities;
  • to establish or preserve a legal claim or defense; or
  • as part of a corporate restructuring, sale of assets, merger or divestiture.
Finally, we may share VINs with unaffiliated third parties, such as dealerships, auction companies, manufacturers, financing companies and rental car companies to perform our Service and promote whether our Service has deleted data from a vehicle. In some cases, we may publicly disclose whether data has been deleted from a vehicle corresponding to VIN, such as in our vehicle privacy reports.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
to establish or preserve a legal claim or defense! BS! LOL.

I turned off my data sharing today as well.

OP
OP
IntegraSpeed

IntegraSpeed

First Name
Jools
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I did notice you need WiFi access to turn the data off. With the car simply connected to Android auto it won't allow me to toggle.

StingertimeNC

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
yep, me too. I connected to my home wifi, then shut it off.

I also turned it off in my wife's Honda Pilot.

Interestingly, it also shuts off the remote start feature in the car. Since we never use it, no big deal.

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Just did a 600 miles round trip today... Hopefully it wasn't spying cause I had some fun with a S4.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Just did a 600 miles round trip today... Hopefully it wasn't spying cause I had some fun with a S4.
How many miles you at now??

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
How many miles you at now??
Around 11k . Didn't drive much for over a month.
"First" dealer oil change is scheduled. Oil lifte at 10%

Last edited:

scooter

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Thanks for the heads up. I turned off data sharing hopefully before my driving style becomes any kind of issue for the insurance industry. Not quite the complete analog driving experience?

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Can't turn mine off! Always get the "Network is invalid" error message...

Can't connect the car to my home network through Wi-Fi. Can't connect it either to my phone using the hot spot feature of the iPhone.

This is quite stupid! Why can't I turn data sharing off if there is no network?

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
I came across that NYT last night and was pretty alarmed by it and the implications. I promptly disabled Data Sharing in my car and signed out of the AcuraLink app on my phone. I only have 1100 miles on the car and took it very easy during the break-in period for the first 600 miles. Although, I've started to explore the car some more, hopefully any data won't impact insurance premiums.

I think when connected to Android Auto the car uses your phone for internet access?

When the ITS first came out, the AcuraLink features were so limited (only shows oil life and fuel capacity/range and even then it seemed to get that info when connected to the car itself and not something that was synced remotely) and reports were the car didn't seem to have its own network access (thus not having many features and having to rely on wifi) so I didn't even worry or think twice when the data sharing option popped up.

My 2023 Kia on the other hand is super connected. The online portal will show full drive logs with location etc. thankfully, per that vehicle privacy site, data is not shared with insurance companies. And the car is considered a "hard drive on wheels" and not a "smartphone on wheels" like the Acura.

I also find it interesting in the article that German/Euro marques like BMW, VW group, or MB Daimler are not mentioned or included at all. Those companies must know their audience/driver base and also there might be stronger regulation or protections of privacy in their home territories.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Does have anything to do with reporting?

IMG_2843.jpeg

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I disabled the Acuralink App in the Head unit. I'm sure we could go through the system apps and disable others.