• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Kia K5 GT (w/GT1 package)

Krak3rjak3r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sonata
I've had 2 reservations at 2 dealerships for the Integra since launch day, but I've started cross-shopping and think the K5 has a lot to offer at a similar price.

Has anyone looked into the K5 GT? Thoughts?

My quick comparison:

K5 GT (w/GT1 package)
- More powerful
- DCT vs CVT (manual is not an option for me)
- More features (vented seats, 360 cam, etc. )
- Better warranty
- Panoramic sun roof
2022-Kia-K5-AWD.jpg

Integra
- Liftback
- Digital Guage Cluster
- Appearance (subjective)
- Likely a higher overall build quality (less wind/road noise)

Production-Acura-Integra-Reviews.jpg

Anything major that I'm missing?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Krak3rjak3r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sonata
Resale values?
I kept my last car 10 years and I hated it. I plan to keep this one at least that long. Resale values don't have a strong influence on my purchase.

I'm glad you said that though, because anyone else looking at the K5 as an alternative should absolutely be aware of that.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
I kept my last car 10 years and I hated it. I plan to keep this one at least that long. Resale values don't have a strong influence on my purchase.

I'm glad you said that though, because anyone else looking at the K5 as an alternative should absolutely be aware of that.
Good point. Some could question resale on a manual Integra. In my case, like yours, I plan to keep a decade or more hopefully.

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
Ngl, before this I've never heard about the K5. I watched a review on it and it seems pretty great value. I tried reading conversations online, and it seems like most people have an issue that it's a Kia more than anything. It even looks better than the Elantra and Sonata imo. From what I've read, most people seem to like the Integra because they want a manual, luxurious amenities, and the liftback form factor. Other than that, I don't like the idea of paying OTD 40k for a 200HP CVT even if it has memory seats or a great audio system.

Imo Biggest Drawbacks:
- brand image
- definitely economy feeling (not even pretending to be luxurious which is both good, but mostly bad)
- ugly shifter (why??)
- reliability (but you have that warranty)
- looks less mature
- not a liftback

Litflynt912

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic EXL HB 2023 Integra A Spec Tech
As a child of the 80's and 90's who grew up on Sony/Nintendo and Honda (first car I ever drove) I have an affinity for the Japanese and I think my bias would keep me from buying a Kia - The only Kia I've driven were forte's as rentals and they were extremely underwhelming.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
I had a 2012 Optima Hybrid - very impressive vehicle with a ton of features. My sister bought it after the lease and it was flawless for 6 years. She sold it when she moved out of the country and still misses that car 4 years later. The Optima/K5 are in another league from the Fortes.

OP
OP

Krak3rjak3r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sonata
As a child of the 80's and 90's who grew up on Sony/Nintendo and Honda (first car I ever drove) I have an affinity for the Japanese and I think my bias would keep me from buying a Kia - The only Kia I've driven were forte's as rentals and they were extremely underwhelming.
As long as you recognize it's a bias, no issues there. Everyone has preferences. Although, I wouldn't suggest anyone base their decision to avoid a vehicle brand on the lowest trim, economy level rental car experience for any brand.

OP
OP

Krak3rjak3r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sonata
Ngl, before this I've never heard about the K5. I watched a review on it and it seems pretty great value. I tried reading conversations online, and it seems like most people have an issue that it's a Kia more than anything. It even looks better than the Elantra and Sonata imo. From what I've read, most people seem to like the Integra because they want a manual, luxurious amenities, and the liftback form factor. Other than that, I don't like the idea of paying OTD 40k for a 200HP CVT even if it has memory seats or a great audio system.

Imo Biggest Drawbacks:
- brand image
- definitely economy feeling (not even pretending to be luxurious which is both good, but mostly bad)
- ugly shifter (why??)
- reliability (but you have that warranty)
- looks less mature
- not a liftback

I saw that the shifter is quite easy to replace which would be an absolute requirement. The factory shifter looks like garbage.

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
I had a 2012 Optima Hybrid - very impressive vehicle with a ton of features. My sister bought it after the lease and it was flawless for 6 years. She sold it when she moved out of the country and still misses that car 4 years later. The Optima/K5 are in another league from the Fortes.
What happened after 6 years?

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I cross shopped the K5 GT (along with the accord sport and mazda3 turbo hatchback). The K5 looks pretty sharp in person, and the reviews are relatively good (biggest complaint being that it should have AWD, but that could be said of the accord and integra). I do think the K5 would be ideal if it were a liftback, and perhaps if/when Kia cancels the Stinger, they should float making the next K5 a liftback (it already mocks a liftback shape in the back) and possibly an AWD option.

My mom had a Kia Sedona for nearly 15 basically trouble free years before it finally kicked the bucket (sold it to a mechanic to fix up and use as a work vehicle). I would still consider the K5 GT if I was actively shopping around (holding off for a year or so and see how the Integra and car market goes).

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
I had a K5 rental last year. I don't know the trim level, but I'm thinking it had a small turbo engine, maybe 1.6L. It was a very satisfying car. I don't think the luxury amenities will stack up to Acura, even in the higher trim levels. And I would question long term reliability/quality. I do think it is a noticably bigger car than an Integra, as such may be a more comfortable long distance cruiser.
We owned a couple of Hyundai's which were very good cars, and offered a ton of value for the $. I don't think they held their value. I sold one at 10 years old and one at 3 years old.
I would recommend a K5 to friend, but I wouldn't buy one myself. I prefer a hatchback.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
I had a K5 rental last year. I don't know the trim level, but I'm thinking it had a small turbo engine, maybe 1.6L. It was a very satisfying car. I don't think the luxury amenities will stack up to Acura, even in the higher trim levels. And I would question long term reliability/quality. I do think it is a noticably bigger car than an Integra, as such may be a more comfortable long distance cruiser.
We owned a couple of Hyundai's which were very good cars, and offered a ton of value for the $. I don't think they held their value. I sold one at 10 years old and one at 3 years old.
I would recommend a K5 to friend, but I wouldn't buy one myself. I prefer a hatchback.
Actually, the Kia products have many more luxury features than the Integra. They include a pano sunroof, vented seats, heated steering wheel etc. It is a bigger car than the Integra (I prefer the Acura's size) and it's not stick, which is the only reason I'm here. Otherwise, I'd have no problems buying a K5 and would probably take one if forced to choose between a K5 and TLX. I also am lucky to have a great Kia dealer locally, and unfortunately some subpar Acura ones. In most other locations, this dynamic could certainly swing the other way although generally not a huge factor if the car is reliable.