• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Your car could be spying on you (Jason Cammisa)

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Honda/Acura could be selling your driving information to a company that sends that information to your insurance company. What a time to own a Type S. 🤣

Gregg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP Teg Type S '87 & '88 CRX Si, '96 Civic EX
Last edited:

austinrw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra Type S
I thought I read somewhere on here that you can disable data sharing

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 RS3, 2023 Type R
The point of a video and headline like this is to force Honda not to make shitty, consumer-antagonistic decisions. People should be mad about this and Honda needs to feel the pressure. I had data sharing on in my FL5 and am currently awaiting my LexisNexis report to see how bad they fucked me.

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
The point of a video and headline like this is to force Honda not to make shitty, consumer-antagonistic decisions. People should be mad about this and Honda needs to feel the pressure. I had data sharing on in my FL5 and am currently awaiting my LexisNexis report to see how bad they fucked me.
This is a fair point. While his headline / presentation might be sensational, that also makes it more effective.

I'd be curious if your data was tracked. Did you ever hook your FL5 up to a hotspot or WiFi network?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I'll give the caveat that I only watch/listened for as long as I could stand.

But all I heard was a bunch of half-murmured pearl-clutching "hrrbrrrhrrr this is UNACCEPTABLE", and no actual validation that this data IS being used BY insurance companies to determine premiums. Just a whole bunch of hypothesizing on "what if they were".

Sensationalism gets clicks though, because some people just want to cry about everything and be upset all the time. Gotta have something to direct your rage at, or else what's your purpose for living?

So what are you gonna do when you find out "how bad they fucked" you? You gonna trade in your FL5? On what, principal?

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
edit- I did a little more digging, and while the sources are still anecdotal and veer hard towards sensational, there may be something going on with this.

I'm going to spend some more cycles on this, and hold my judgement until then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snugs24

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
edit- I did a little more digging, and while the sources are still anecdotal and veer hard towards sensational, there may be something going on with this.

I'm going to spend some more cycles on this, and hold my judgement until then.
Google “LexisNexis GM data”. It’s confirmed that LexisNexis shared vehicle telemetry data with an insurance company causing GM to stop sharing data with LexisNexis and Verisk due to the backlash.

The guy who has a lawsuit against GM received a 258 page report from LexisNexis detailing all kinds of information, acceleration, and deceleration being part of it.

Whether Honda/Acura are doing the same thing remains speculation at this point AFAIK looking a little further into it, but they do use LexisNexis.

It’s a developing story so we’ll have to wait and see who else is involved if anyone. It IS pretty interesting though that someone got caught, and that they’re not the only ones using the company. It’s something to keep an eye out for.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Google “LexisNexis GM data”. It’s confirmed that LexisNexis shared vehicle telemetry data with an insurance company causing GM to stop sharing data with LexisNexis and Verisk due to the backlash.

The guy who has a lawsuit against GM received a 258 page report from LexisNexis detailing all kinds of information, acceleration, and deceleration being part of it.

Whether Honda/Acura are doing the same thing remains speculation at this point AFAIK looking a little further into it, but they do use LexisNexis.

It’s a developing story so we’ll have to wait and see who else is involved if anyone. It IS pretty interesting though that someone got caught, and that they’re not the only ones using the company. It’s something to keep an eye out for.
I agree, it something to keep an eye out for... and I did come across that reference... but I'll also call out that it seems there's only that one anecdotal reference. While we're on the topic of data, that's nowhere near enough sample size to really even be worth a conversation. But it's alarming enough for me to not be dismissive about it, at the least.

My default reaction to stuff like this is supreme skepticism, because "consumers" are entitled by nature and people are just so quick to react in anger when they catch wind of anything that could potentially be used against them "without their consent". Especially when it comes to data and privacy, concepts most of the general public actually knows very little about. And Cammisa has already pissed me off before with this podcast so I can't stand the sound of his or his partner's voice in that format (I still think he's a great enthusiast and presenter though because I'm an adult and can process things individually).

But all that said, insurance companies are among the most vile organizations in existence, and I trust nothing about them other than they'll do literally anything to make as much money as possible. And auto manufacturers are not saintly institutions either. This story has legs, I just wish there was more than "just this one guy". More clearly documented evidence, especially as it pertains to Honda, is going to be needed to clear my skepticism on this topic. And it should for everyone, honestly. It's ok to be skeptical, as long as you're willing to admit your bias and be willing to concede if presented with valid evidence. I feel like I'm at least trying to be open minded here but I just need more of it before I break the pitchfork out. Evidence, that is.