• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What’s it gonna take to get you to buy a Type S?

Josh2201

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra, 2020 Yamaha MT09
Value is very subjective. Many of us are comparing the Acura higher trim packages/pricing to a Civic Type R. If the dealers I have been in contact with have been truthful, then the Civic Type R is going to be about the same price as the Integra A spec + manual coming with 100+ less horsepower than the Honda. Personally, I’ll opt for the performance over the nostalgia/luxury of the Acura even though I’d prefer to own another integra again. So there’s plenty of people who give a F, really. Different strokes, different folks.
Here in Canada..the manual integra is 45k. Thats about the price of used 2018 civic type r. The new type r will probably be a fair bit more than the manual integra. At least 5k. If they are the same price, I'd highly regret purchasing a integra.
Edit - Honda Canada shows 2021 type r at 46 200. I guess they are close in price. They just hold their value really well for resale

Last edited:

NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
One more thing on performance vs luxury and where your money goes. The TLX Type S seats and the MDX Type S seats were both amazing when I sampled them during test drives. Within a certain amount of variance I expect about the same level of seat comfort from the Integra. I definitely don’t want to go back to the seats of the 2019 CTR. And I don’t think the 2023 version will be much better. I fully expect the seats to still have those aggressive metal bars in the side bolstering which prevents me from swinging my legs out, exiting the car easily, no, I’d still most likely have to eject myself like a cassette tape. One of those bars, on the left side of the drivers seat, actually ate threw my 2019 CTR’s seat foam and began inserting itself in places that it should never be. All I’m saying is you have to be very accurate with sliding in and out of that car. A dukes of hazard style entry could get you hospitalized. And to drive on the road most of us don’t need racing seats of that magnitude, and we definitely don’t need metal bars in our side bolstering. However, we do need to ocassionally tie our shoes while sitting out of the car sideways. Even the Civic Si seats have been getting more and more stiff and bolstered as the new model years come out. My 2006 Civic Si seats were perfect to a much younger version of me. I have not tried the 2022 Civic Si seats yet, however, I do know the 2019 Civic Si seats were far too aggressive on bolstering for what a 200HP car would dictate. The one thing still giving me any sort of pause on purchasing the GR Corolla is possibly the seat comfort - I’ll have to see when they come in if I can live with them. However, I do believe Toyota will get this right as the GR86 and the GR Supra both seem to have semi-reasonable seats. In conclusion, if you want a comfortable daily driver or if you are on the other side of 35 you may just want the Integra or Integra Type-S over the Honda equivalents. And for me, the luxury Acura brings to the table is worth spending a few thousand more.

Last edited:

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Looks like the Type R will be there - still in camo lol. Definitely keeping my hopes up to get some teasers!
Link to article:
https://t.co/QqgaaVXpml
That event is separate from the one that IMSA is doing so there is still hope that it could happen but yes CTR Camo unveiled for States during Indy.

urbanglowcam

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000
Wow.. the expectations I'm seeing in these threads on the power output makes me kinda sad, despite that take being pretty logical. If the Type-S doesn't at least match the CTR in power output and offer a 6 speed, I gotta sit this one out. I really don't think it's asking too much. Asking for SH-AWD or something truly bespoke I would understand is unrealistic.

With Acura more recently pushing an image of performance and racing pedigree, it would be disappointing for papa Honda to hold them back. It's not like Honda will have difficulties selling through their allotment of CTRs.

Call me naive, but I feel that Acura won't let us down here. 🤞🤞

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
Wow.. the expectations I'm seeing in these threads on the power output makes me kinda sad, despite that take being pretty logical. If the Type-S doesn't at least match the CTR in power output and offer a 6 speed, I gotta sit this one out. I really don't think it's asking too much. Asking for SH-AWD or something truly bespoke I would understand is unrealistic.

With Acura more recently pushing an image of performance and racing pedigree, it would be disappointing for papa Honda to hold them back. It's not like Honda will have difficulties selling through their allotment of CTRs.

Call me naive, but I feel that Acura won't let us down here. 🤞🤞
I'm feeling the same way except I do expect around 270 not 300. I know the Integra is big on luxury features, but that really isn't too important for me personally. I'm mainly interested in the liftback design, exterior, and for me it has to be an auto. I'd settle for an Integra A-spec if only it wasn't a CVT. I wish Acura put the 10sp auto on it even if it was an additional 1k option or something. Since A-spec/Tech prices are teaching 40k OTD, I'm not sure if I want to spend ~44k on a Type S with an Accord power though I'm sure the luxury features warrant the price. I'm considering the Elantra N too, for the power to price, but the only version I can stand to look at is the black one, but even then it's still ugly.

I'm not familiar with the Acura lineup, but best case for me would be if there was a Type S that was an upgrade over the A-spec model (without the tech package) in power and then another version of the Type S with the tech (luxury) package. That's probably too unlikely to happen though.

Edit: i watched a Radi's Integra "review" and I changed my mind I think I'll settle for an A-spec CVT if I don't want a Type S. I like the look of the car too much

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I'm feeling the same way except I do expect around 270 not 300. I know the Integra is big on luxury features, but that really isn't too important for me personally. I'm mainly interested in the liftback design, exterior, and for me it has to be an auto. I'd settle for an Integra A-spec if only it wasn't a CVT. I wish Acura put the 10sp auto on it even if it was an additional 1k option or something. Since A-spec/Tech prices are teaching 40k OTD, I'm not sure if I want to spend ~44k on a Type S with an Accord power though I'm sure the luxury features warrant the price. I'm considering the Elantra N too, for the power to price, but the only version I can stand to look at is the black one, but even then it's still ugly.

I'm not familiar with the Acura lineup, but best case for me would be if there was a Type S that was an upgrade over the A-spec model (without the tech package) in power and then another version of the Type S with the tech (luxury) package. That's probably too unlikely to happen though.

Edit: i watched a Radi's Integra "review" and I changed my mind I think I'll settle for an A-spec CVT if I don't want a Type S. I like the look of the car too much
So true about the N.. has a Zoro mark on the side and the grill.. catfish look isn't for me.

urbanglowcam

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000

I hope it's 300+, but your expectations might unfortunately be more realistic. I'm all for the auto offered in the ITS for those that want a close to CTR auto, but would be extremely dissapointed if a 6 speed wouldn't be offered.

Same general specs of the CTR that is slightly less raw with more refinements is all I'm expecting. I really don't think it's too much to ask. Basically what the lower trim Integras are to the Civic SI.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N(sold)
Same general specs of the CTR that is slightly less raw with more refinements is all I'm expecting. I really don't think it's too much to ask. Basically what the lower trim Integras are to the Civic SI.
The difference is that the type-R is not just a slightly faster Civic. It's proper high performance hot hatch with a lot of bespoke parts.
It might make sense at or above $47K but I don't think many people would want to pay that much for a "Civic."
S3 doesn't get all the fancy stuff from Golf R, either.

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
I read an article a while back about a guy getting rid of his Civic Type R because he didn't find it a good Daily Driver, too stiff and demanding. My son LOVED his 2011 STI, but traded it for a 2018 Accord 2.0T. NVH is a big deal, but it's quite subjective.
I'm in the "drive a slow car fast" camp, so very optimistic about my Integra. I'll be trading "down" from a 6-cyl NA 230 HP to a 4-cyl turbo 200 HP.
These are such different times in the auto market. I don't think we can expect the same type of decision making that occurred 20-30 years ago.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
The more I see the civic hybrid, the more I’d be happy with the 2.0T drivetrain + hybrid mated to a Traditional auto. I don’t think there’s any application that uses the 2.0T + hybrid so it’s probably not happening.
I saw an article saying Honda wants the hybrids to be the top of the line models, makes me think maybe a sporty hybrid will be the Type S

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The more I see the civic hybrid, the more I’d be happy with the 2.0T drivetrain + hybrid mated to a Traditional auto. I don’t think there’s any application that uses the 2.0T + hybrid so it’s probably not happening.
I saw an article saying Honda wants the hybrids to be the top of the line models, makes me think maybe a sporty hybrid will be the Type S
Honda likes hybrids. But Acura already said they were skipping hybrid and going straight to EV starting with the 2025 Lyric clone.

So the ITS won’t be hybrid.

urbanglowcam

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000
The difference is that the type-R is not just a slightly faster Civic. It's proper high performance hot hatch with a lot of bespoke parts.
It might make sense at or above $47K but I don't think many people would want to pay that much for a "Civic."
S3 doesn't get all the fancy stuff from Golf R, either.
It's definitely more than just a slightly faster Civic, but by that rationale, the Integra Type R was not just a slightly faster Integra. I'm aware this won't be a "Type R" by name, but to me that's more marketing since that name is now exclusive to Honda.

If the base 2023 Integra is a ~7% increase in cost to the Civic SI, why would the Type S Integra need to be $47K? Assuming the Civic Type R is around 38K (I'm sure it'll be more for the new model), that would translate more to starting around 42K.

At the same time, I get your point though that it's not likely that we'll see a widebody Integra with the same aggressive aero treatment. I just feel that if they can do that with the Civic while maintaining the same profit margins, it isn't out of the question for them to do that for the Acura considering the car shares so much with the Civic platform anyways.

Obviously, their demographic won't want something THAT harsh, but something closer.

urbanglowcam

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000
I read an article a while back about a guy getting rid of his Civic Type R because he didn't find it a good Daily Driver, too stiff and demanding. My son LOVED his 2011 STI, but traded it for a 2018 Accord 2.0T. NVH is a big deal, but it's quite subjective.
I'm in the "drive a slow car fast" camp, so very optimistic about my Integra. I'll be trading "down" from a 6-cyl NA 230 HP to a 4-cyl turbo 200 HP.
These are such different times in the auto market. I don't think we can expect the same type of decision making that occurred 20-30 years ago.
I rented a Civic Type R for a full day and to me, it wasn't that harsh. I guess that term is relative though. That car with the looks of the Integra would be a winner IMO.

I agree though, it's a different time. Cars used to have the dial turned more towards sporty and less comfort. Newer variants of the 911s, M3s, etc. are more tame and livable despite performing better. They don't have the same visceral feel they used to.

NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
My 2019 Civic Type-R mostly felt like an upgraded Civic Si, a level sharper for sure, more balanced in turns, not harsh in my opinion. And I did notice right away that the times I could use the CTR’s full power was less than the times I could use the Si’s full power. So I was not completely floored from the differences during my every day commuting. It was faster and better, just perhaps more clinical not more exciting. Not as exciting as test driving a Supra or something. The CTR was a decent ride except for those damn seats that everyone else says are very comfortable in the YouTube video reviews, however, they were all smaller dudes and I’d take that info with a huge grain of salt. If you are over 250 or 275 lbs I’d definitely look for better more durable thrones. Admittedly, I did not have the car for that long as a result. And my bigger concern was always the extra special tire setup, it seemed too expensive to maintain in the long run and if you changed it for more normal sporty tires it would mess with the CTR’s FWD handling special sauce set up. In comparison, something like the GR Corolla gets most of its grip and handling from the AWD system, you are more free to put on any sporty tires that tickle your fancy. Whereas the Integra as it is now, it seems more normal in the suspension and tire setup, and perhaps that’s a relief in a way. As now you can upgrade the cars power without messing with the cars overall balance, yet then again you miss out on the CTR’s special sauce handling. That is what I imagine from what little I read on it anyway, I don’t know any of this for sure. I know this, the original BRZ impressed me more on sheer handling than the CTR. In a more fun way if not in a more performance way. They say the Elantra N is more fun in this way too if not as technically good.

Last edited: