• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Type S Winter Wheels / Fitment Specs

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Fwiw, I just wasted $$ at Discount Tire trying to get the DWS06+ to work with the OEM Type S wheel. Couldn’t get them to balance, and gave the car steering column vibrations. Discount will be putting me back in the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s’s. I’m going to rock the summers until Michelin offers the 4SAS in our oem tire size. The rubber for the continentals are too inconsistent/out of round to recommend for me personally.
Hugely helpful--thank you!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Fwiw, I just wasted $$ at Discount Tire trying to get the DWS06+ to work with the OEM Type S wheel. Couldn’t get them to balance, and gave the car steering column vibrations. Discount will be putting me back in the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s’s. I’m going to rock the summers until Michelin offers the 4SAS in our oem tire size. The rubber for the continentals are too inconsistent/out of round to recommend for me personally.
Did they correctly install and balance them? I know somewhere I thought the CTR wheels have to be installed with wheel facing down not up. Not sure if balancing is the same or not.

Nm 21:08

4ourth

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Yes, they installed them correctly, and balanced it twice on the road force machine. Wasn’t noticeable in town, but on highway speeds pulsing vibrations felt that the Michelins did not create. It doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident either as others have mentioned it for the previous gen tire. Either way, just wasn’t worth it to me to try to see if I get a set of 4 that didn’t do it when the Michelins are a better tire 9 months of the year and quality control is much better.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Yes, they installed them correctly, and balanced it twice on the road force machine. Wasn’t noticeable in town, but on highway speeds pulsing vibrations felt that the Michelins did not create. It doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident either as others have mentioned it for the previous gen tire. Either way, just wasn’t worth it to me to try to see if I get a set of 4 that didn’t do it when the Michelins are a better tire 9 months of the year and quality control is much better.
This is disappointing to hear since I was looking to do the same thing. What will you be looking at for winter use?

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Well shit. Back to the lab!

4ourth

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
This is not to say that someone may not have the issues that I have, but at the very least Discount Tire was willing to get me back into a new set of Michelins (I made the mistake of getting trade in and not keeping the original set thinking the 06+ would be my one and only and not wanting to mess with trying to store a second set/selling to make room). All that being said, my plan is not do anything until Michelin releases an all season in our tire size. I love the OEM wheel and don’t want to buy another set of wheels just to fit winters/all season and have to make space for 4 wheels/tires. Unfortunately, there are not many options for all season/winter for our unique tire size at the moment so I will just have to be stuck at home on the wintry days that the salt trucks can’t patch.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
This is not to say that someone may not have the issues that I have, but at the very least Discount Tire was willing to get me back into a new set of Michelins (I made the mistake of getting trade in and not keeping the original set thinking the 06+ would be my one and only and not wanting to mess with trying to store a second set/selling to make room). All that being said, my plan is not do anything until Michelin releases an all season in our tire size. I love the OEM wheel and don’t want to buy another set of wheels just to fit winters/all season and have to make space for 4 wheels/tires. Unfortunately, there are not many options for all season/winter for our unique tire size at the moment so I will just have to be stuck at home on the wintry days that the salt trucks can’t patch.
I found this which is an interesting comparison
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=280
The Vredestein Hypertrac All Season in 275/35/19 are only $200 a piece being a closeout..
Michelin pilot sport is offered in the same size.
I'm considering the 275/35/19 as an alternative since it's the wife's possible for a 9.5" wheel and I wanted a little taller tier.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I found this which is an interesting comparison
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=280
The Vredestein Hypertrac All Season in 275/35/19 are only $200 a piece being a closeout..
Michelin pilot sport is offered in the same size.
I'm considering the 275/35/19 as an alternative since it's the wife's possible for a 9.5" wheel and I wanted a little taller tier.
This was a good find, dude! I read up on these last night & they seem like a great tire - especially for the price to at least try for half the year. I still think I might go 18's in the winter though, haven't decided 100%.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
This was a good find, dude! I read up on these last night & they seem like a great tire - especially for the price to at least try for half the year. I still think I might go 18's in the winter though, haven't decided 100%.
That discounted Vredestein Hypertrac listed as the original compound.. this was updated in 2021 with an updated compound that improved the tire.

4ourth

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Just got the Michelins 4S back on and the difference was so astounding it merited my response. Vibration at highway speeds immediately vanished, car felt lighter and more nimble through turns and acceleration and road feedback is perfect. I don’t think this car should be driven with any other tire short of inclement weather. The sacrifice to feel/handling is just not worth it to be able to handle snow. If Michelin releases the Pilot Sport 4SAS it would give me pause for thought, but as a psa for anyone looking to swap tires for a one and done it’s probably best to save the heart ache and go with a second set for winter.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
That discounted Vredestein Hypertrac listed as the original compound.. this was updated in 2021 with an updated compound that improved the tire.
I have to decide on either 18's or 19's for a second set of wheels & which size to keep for winter vs summer. I haven't dug deep enough In to tech specs, but I'm thinking 19" stock wheels in winter with these tires & a lightweight, wider 18" set for street/track.

wtam1100

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CTR
I was personally planning on running fl5 wheels. The valve stem look unique on the Fl5 wheels. Since those don't use TPMS sensor. Anyone think there would be any issues using TPMS sensors on the fl5 wheels?

BatesMotelXIV

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Si
Enkei has a couple 18x9 +50 options. That's as close as I could find without going custom/forged.
You might consider Apex Wheels' EC-7 or ARC-8 (both are flow-formed). Each wheel has a +58 offset option with 18 x 9.5 dimensions, the 5x120 bolt pattern, and a 72.65 mm center hub. This wheel is almost perfect for the CTR/ITS besides the centering hub diameter, but you can buy a centering ring from them specific to the FK8 Type R (which should be the same for the FL5 Type R or DE5 Type S).

Should I end up with an ITS, I am strongly considering these options with some UHP A/S tires for year-round use in Cincinnati where we do get some snow and plenty of cold months. Neither wheel is super expensive at $360-$370/wheel compared to forged options. The ARC-8 in particular is also very light at 18.2 lbs/wheel.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/18x9-5-et58-apex-arc-8-wheel.html
https://www.apexraceparts.com/18x9-5-et58-apex-ec-7-wheel.html
https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-...entering-rings-for-civic-type-r-set-of-4.html

kjechel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
03 S2000 original owner, 24 ITS ABP/Ebony
You might consider Apex Wheels' EC-7 or ARC-8 (both are flow-formed). Each wheel has a +58 offset option with 18 x 9.5 dimensions, the 5x120 bolt pattern, and a 72.65 mm center hub. This wheel is almost perfect for the CTR/ITS besides the centering hub diameter, but you can buy a centering ring from them specific to the FK8 Type R (which should be the same for the FL5 Type R or DE5 Type S).

Should I end up with an ITS, I am strongly considering these options with some UHP A/S tires for year-round use in Cincinnati where we do get some snow and plenty of cold months. Neither wheel is super expensive at $360-$370/wheel compared to forged options. The ARC-8 in particular is also very light at 18.2 lbs/wheel.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/18x9-5-et58-apex-arc-8-wheel.html
https://www.apexraceparts.com/18x9-5-et58-apex-ec-7-wheel.html
https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-...entering-rings-for-civic-type-r-set-of-4.html
I asked Apex: I saw in this video that EC-7 18x9.5" ET58 fits over the Brembo front brake caliper on the FL5 CTR with a small amount of clearance. Will the ARC-8 18x9.5" ET58 also fit?

Per Matt Thompson (APEX Race Parts Support) <[email protected]> :

ARC-8 18x9.5" ET58 will not fit without at least a 10mm spacer effectively making the wheel an ET48 offset.

So I'd recommend that you confirm with Apex before purchasing

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
They have other wheels in that size that will fit though. I've been in touch with Matt as well. I'd have to look to see what the specs are - I think 18x9.5 & 38 or 45 offset.