• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Type S vs Golf R

Negitoro7

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Winter beater currently
The Golf R is a terrific daily driver and really quick off the line, but not something that makes you “look forward” to the drive, or tempt you to wake up early on the weekend to go canyon carving in. I had a MK7 Golf R and would love a MK8.5 R, but I’d also need a fun manual toy car as well (like a miata).

VW manual gearboxes are gross, so DSG is the way to go, or don’t get a VW.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
Acura directly compares the Type S to the S3, m235i and CLA 35 AMG, but I think a better comparison is the Golf R. They’re both essentially driver-focused hot hatches with similar power, practicality, manual transmission and similar price points (even after their respective absurd ADMs). Realistically, these are the only two vehicles I would cross-shop.

I think there’s a lot of pros and cons between the two (I’ve tried breaking down below based on reviews of each, having driven neither but previously owning a mk7 GTI)

Type S
- Feels like a more special car
- More track capable
- better inputs (transmission, steering, pedal box, tires)
- mechanical lsd seems to have advantages over Golf R’s brake vectoring system
- more unique engine compared to Golf R’s EA888 shared across multiple platforms
-better sound system
-better exhaust sound
-perhaps more reliable?

Golf R
- AWD (which is improved in the mk8 over the prior haldex)
- more creature comforts (sunroof, rear middle seat, rear a/c, power passenger seat, cooled seats, etc.)
- awful touch-only infotainment/steering wheel controls (if the rumors are true and this is fixed in the refresh, it may beat out the Type S’s tacked on infotainment)
- faster straight line speed (low 4s 0-60 vs Type S low 5s)
-availability of a DCT (if that’s your thing…)
-better fit and finish (Type S paint match continues to bother me)

Interested in hearing other’s thoughts on what would make you want one over the other (especially if you have firsthand experience with one or both)
For me I cannot get over the entertainment system and it's lack of real buttons and knobs along with haptic switches on the steering wheel, and the fact that the Golf R also does not have Auto Rev Matching on the Manual Transmission. If it had those two things I would probably choose to buy it rather than the type S as you can definitely get it for less.

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
VW manual gearboxes are gross, so DSG is the way to go, or don’t get a VW.
My experience/luck with DSG equipped VW and Audi’s hasn’t been stellar. They all had mechtronic issues and spent extended periods in the shop while I drove loaners. Because of this, I cannot purchase another, which is a shame because the RS3 is pretty awesome.

Mike

itsovr9k

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S2000, CTR
Assuming MSRP /near msrp (possible some point in the future for the FL5 CTR), if you need a single vehicle, which is a drivers car, but also balances that experience with a pragmatic daily vehicle (based on OPs prompt), this is the order :

CTR > GolfR > FK8 CTR -> Several Other Options -> ITS

The Golf R is the value play here If you need an enthusiast's all season daily driver, which won't tire you from road noise, and a overly stiff suspension, and substantially reduced traction in cold and wet situations.

I don't expect this to be popular on an Integra forum, especially with those who have already mentally and fiscally committed to the car. This is not directed at you.

IMO, the ITS is fundamentally a poor value for the money. The CTR is the special, original concept serious FWD performance car. That car already has a premium attached to it even at MSRP because of its nameplate. (And yet the ITS is 18% more). For the exact same price, the CTR is still the better value, because of the name plate, known residuals on the car.

The Integra type S nameplate is meaningless. Had they released the Integra Type R and made it a notable performance improvement over the CTR, then that's a different story.

From my perspective, the ITS is just a dilution of that CTR experience. If you want the CTR experience, and can't find a FL5 at a reasonable price, go buy a 17/18' FK8 (Decent ones for 40K). I don't think the solution is to migrate to the ITS as a second option.

If pricing was the same as a FL5, value would be found with the ITS. If it would have been priced reasonably close to the type R (Sub 47k~) as I had initially hoped, then I would seriously consider it).

The fact that there's a $8,000 upcharge over the Civic baked in from the manufacturer is frankly ridiculous. I examined the local ITS demo last week. Quality simply wasn't there for the price.

If you have the opportunity to go test drive one I would recommend it. Formulate your own opinion. But I would also advise looking at other options prior to committing yourself to the car.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Assuming MSRP /near msrp (possible some point in the future for the FL5 CTR), if you need a single vehicle, which is a drivers car, but also balances that experience with a pragmatic daily vehicle (based on OPs prompt), this is the order :

The Golf R is the value play here If you need an enthusiast's all season daily driver, which won't tire you from road noise, and a overly stiff suspension, and substantially reduced traction in cold and wet situations.

I don't expect this to be popular on an Integra forum, especially with those who have already mentally and fiscally committed to the car. This is not directed at you.

IMO, the ITS is fundamentally a poor value for the money. The CTR is the special, original concept serious FWD performance car. That car already has a premium attached to it even at MSRP because of its nameplate. (And yet the ITS is 18% more). For the exact same price, the CTR is still the better value, because of the name plate, known residuals on the car.

The Integra type S nameplate is meaningless. Had they released the Integra Type R and made it a notable performance improvement over the CTR, then that's a different story.

From my perspective, the ITS is just a dilution of that CTR experience. If you want the CTR experience, and can't find a FL5 at a reasonable price, go buy a 17/18' FK8 (Decent ones for 40K). I don't think the solution is to migrate to the ITS as a second option.

If pricing was the same as a FL5, value would be found with the ITS. If it would have been priced reasonably close to the type R (Sub 47k~) as I had initially hoped, then I would seriously consider it).

The fact that there's a $8,000 upcharge over the Civic baked in from the manufacturer is frankly ridiculous. I examined the local ITS demo last week. Quality simply wasn't there for the price.

If you have the opportunity to go test drive one I would recommend it. Formulate your own opinion. But I would also advise looking at other options prior to committing yourself to the car.
Too bad the VW offering is a much smaller vehicle. Even two adults in the front seats would probably feel tight.

Screenshot_20230629-203439.png

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)

Come now, this is just silly. If you want to do this based on price, buy an Elantra N which is clearly the best buy in the segment, PERIOD. If you are willing to pay more, the ITS is just as good an option as the others because we live in a world where most of these cars are not MSRP and may never be. Guess what, the Golf R has markup also! My local dealer has $10K in ADM added on.

I will make this simple, the FL5 is best in class, period. Not sure I have seen a comparo where it loses out, especially as your DD. Now the ITS hits almost the same track times, the press loves it just as much, if not more than the FL5 and it's clearly the better DD, so that obviously means, last place... If you want to compare all this stuff on paper, go for it, but you will be missing what makes each of these cars special. Most importantly, you will be missing the fact that the Acura has much better warranty and reliability. You really want a German car with a 3 year 36K mile warranty? You enjoy driving a base model Jetta when it's inevitably in the shop? That's all part of the experience, and sadly why as much as I would LOVE to get a 2018 M3 instead, I just can't do it.

OP
OP

Teggy24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS300
I think the Elantra N and FL5 fall into a somewhat separate and distinct category of boy racer models that the ITS and Golf R were attempting to tone down (although I definitely agree the N is the best value and FL5 best driver in the broad hot hatch/sedan category).

I’ve tried talking myself into the wing and red seats of the fl5 (might even otherwise prefer the styling over the ITS) but ultimately can’t justify driving up into work in one, and greatly envy those who can. As for the N, it’s gotten much less ugly (maybe even handsome?) with the refresh, but I do wish that manufacturers didn't always feel the need to adorn performance variants with red trim. I much prefer the sleeper(ish) approach of the ITS and Golf R.

@Integra23 I never felt cramped in my mk7 GTI and even managed to have some pretty tall rear passengers ride comfortably, which I think would be a challenge in the ITS given its slopes roofline. ITS may be a bit wider, but there are some practicality trade offs (like the rear middle seat staying in the R, which seems totally arbitrary until you need one in a pinch)

agreed with @ZeroGSR on the reliability point, however. My GTI’s turbo seized up at just under 50k, and I was severely lucky I was still covered under powertrain or I would’ve been out a couple grand easily. And for the record, they loaned me a Tiguan for the day and it was quite lovely…

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
agreed with @ZeroGSR on the reliability point, however. My GTI’s turbo seized up at just under 50k, and I was severely lucky I was still covered under powertrain or I would’ve been out a couple grand easily. And for the record, they loaned me a Tiguan for the day and it was quite lovely…
Hahaha, touche! One reason I got the S3 over the Golf was so I would have better customer service... That has NOT been the case. Getting a loaner at my local Audi dealer means waiting literally a month minimum. Which is awesome, when your 3 month old car doesn't run because the DSG 5hit the bed. And you would think their service manager would be like, OMG, this never happens, let's make this right. He acted like it was totally no big deal and shrugged. That told me all I needed to know about VAG reliability.

All said, the Golf R is a great car, if you want a fast and fun commuter with a DSG or need AWD for weather. I wouldn't consider getting the R with a stick though, I don't see the point. It's not engaging enough for my tastes to make it that much more fun, and the DSG is just so much better in every way. Well besides the exploding part :) I think the GTI with a stick is the better pick.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX

Not sure why it gets repeated that the ITS is a rebadged CTR. Historically Acura has always been Honda. Parts have always been interchangeable. If I’m not mistaken the NSX and Integra were the first two that received the Type R badge anyway, with the Civic following after. So between the two models the Integra always had the original concept.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone the ITS and CTR now essentially share the same heart and perform similarly. Type S doesn’t have the same ring to it but it’s not meaningless, it’s just the higher end model over base Integra. They’re both amazing drives and fun; I’m happy we have options. $7-8k more stings a little but some of us like the looks/style and the Acura brand along with some minor luxury and daily driving performance features over the civic. I’m in my late 30’s, got kids and I never go to the tracks. As a former Integra owner the ITS has a ton of value to me.

MSRP is as far as I go, I’ll wait if I need to.

N4nn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS
Been resonating with these topics a bit more recently. I test drove a ‘22 golf r, ‘22 Elantra n, ‘20 fk8 recently and I have to say. I have to pick the fk8 over both of them. Golf r is a great balanced vehicle, great room like someone mentioned earlier and I really resonate with what mark said from savagegeese, it has a conflicting personality. Elantra n is seriously a value pick, best bang for the buck for performance and smiles. The fk8 just brought everything a notch for me.

Now we can’t test drive the ITS in Canada but I got to sit in one and play with it a bit. I did really enjoy it and this was literally moments after driving the fk8. It was definitely more luxurious and really brought up the standards but the seats were definitely no match between the ITS and FK8. The back headroom is seriously something to consider if you expect to have passengers regularly. I’m 6ft and i just fit. I also am concerned about the lift gate trunk as the bumper rides up way higher and people gotta really lift shit into it. I can’t say if the ITS is worth the price though. At 8% interest financing and a dealer applying protection packages for the car for the deal I have upcoming, it’s roughly $68-69k cad. It’s a whole lotta money for a car in this current economy. Financing is like $1400/mth for just car payments alone. I might just be more strapped on finances compared to the rest of you but recently debating whether to just grab the fk8 and play for a year or so and pop back into the ITS waitlist for a 2025 MY.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Been resonating with these topics a bit more recently. I test drove a ‘22 golf r, ‘22 Elantra n, ‘20 fk8 recently and I have to say. I have to pick the fk8 over both of them. Golf r is a great balanced vehicle, great room like someone mentioned earlier and I really resonate with what mark said from savagegeese, it has a conflicting personality. Elantra n is seriously a value pick, best bang for the buck for performance and smiles. The fk8 just brought everything a notch for me.

Now we can’t test drive the ITS in Canada but I got to sit in one and play with it a bit. I did really enjoy it and this was literally moments after driving the fk8. It was definitely more luxurious and really brought up the standards but the seats were definitely no match between the ITS and FK8. The back headroom is seriously something to consider if you expect to have passengers regularly. I’m 6ft and i just fit. I also am concerned about the lift gate trunk as the bumper rides up way higher and people gotta really lift shit into it. I can’t say if the ITS is worth the price though. At 8% interest financing and a dealer applying protection packages for the car for the deal I have upcoming, it’s roughly $68-69k cad. It’s a whole lotta money for a car in this current economy. Financing is like $1400/mth for just car payments alone. I might just be more strapped on finances compared to the rest of you but recently debating whether to just grab the fk8 and play for a year or so and pop back into the ITS waitlist for a 2025 MY.
If the Elantra was better looking and a hatch Hyundai would have my money

N4nn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ITS
That was definitely one of the things that took me away. The looks were meh at best. Good now but probably not gonna like it after 6 months lol. The facelift is the same too. And Hyundai will be pricing it more, I heard a guesstimate from a dealer for $1500-2000 cad more than the current MY.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
That was definitely one of the things that took me away. The looks were meh at best. Good now but probably not gonna like it after 6 months lol. The facelift is the same too. And Hyundai will be pricing it more, I heard a guesstimate from a dealer for $1500-2000 cad more than the current MY.
Another issue is it seems the Korean car manufacturers update their vehicles every 3 or 4 years vs 5 or 6 like the competition. Making your purchase outdated sooner and I would think depreciate faster.

OP
OP

Teggy24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS300
I’ve wondered if I could make it work between the facelift and wrapping the exterior red trim in black, still not sure I can get there…