• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Type-S Paint Bubbling

Angeloand

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 RSX-S
IMG_20231001_102815.jpg

Anyone find any paint bubbles on their car? Just found this after my friend pointed it out. It is on the front, passenger side headlights.

Brought it up to dealership, and they told me it might be covered by warranty but they'll have to send pictures and will get back to me.

Does Acura usually cover paint bubbles like these under warranty or will I have to pay out of pocket?

Also my local car paint shop recommended not getting it fixed because "it is on the bottom" and "it won't be repainted with factory, and the paint used won't be as strong as factory". If I decide to not get it fixed, will it be an issue down the line or is it mainly cosmetic.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Angeloand

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 RSX-S
I wouldnā€™t mess with it.
Sounds good. I'm going to have front wrapped and it's very minimal. I'll deal with a minor cosmetic issue rather than worry that the paint or car gets messed up somehow when it's sent in to the dealership to fix.

meki22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru Forester, LCM Integra Type-S
I found a single bubble in my rear quarter panel. small enough not to be annoying but yea, thereā€™s definitely room for improvement from Acura.

winemaker

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mazda CX5 (kids' beater car), 1955 T-bird
One of the few good things about getting older is my eyes aren't as good so I don't see little things like that. Ignorance is bliss. I'm sure though if I got out a magnifying glass I could find something not perfect in the finish. I choose to just take the thing out and drive it. Road debris will have a bigger impact on your front end after a few thousand miles anyway.

lz23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z
IMG_20231001_102815.jpg

Anyone find any paint bubbles on their car? Just found this after my friend pointed it out. It is on the front, passenger side headlights.

Brought it up to dealership, and they told me it might be covered by warranty but they'll have to send pictures and will get back to me.

Does Acura usually cover paint bubbles like these under warranty or will I have to pay out of pocket?

Also my local car paint shop recommended not getting it fixed because "it is on the bottom" and "it won't be repainted with factory, and the paint used won't be as strong as factory". If I decide to not get it fixed, will it be an issue down the line or is it mainly cosmetic.
That panel alignment would really bother me let alone the paint defect.The main reason I backed out of the white car when dealer called to say it was in was because of paint mismatch on the front and rear bumpers on all white cars

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 TEP ITS
I found a single bubble in my rear quarter panel. small enough not to be annoying but yea, thereā€™s definitely room for improvement from Acura.
Same here. I have a defect on one of the rear doors. Not willing to take a risk to end up with a mismatch or a poor job that is worse than the original issue.

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
Iā€™m getting my driver side front fender repainted next week due to some delaminating in the paint. Eventually youā€™ll have to get it done to so might as well do it while Acura will cover it. Find a good Acura certified body shop and let it rip.

Quinn Regis

First Name
IntegraQ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I have rust under the rear backglass. Two very visible spots. Is this common with new cars? I have only seen this once with a civic rear lift gate, turned out to be a recall.

Srt//////M3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 set challenger 2016 f80 m3 2020 outlander
IMG_20231001_102815.jpg

Yes that's a problem and it will fail prematurely. Looks like there's some contamination which caused that. You don't know if it's between the base and primer or between the sheet metal and primer.
If I were you I would give the rest of the car a real good once over see if it's happening anywhere else.
Best case,, these were there from day 1, would really suck to have a adhesion issue forming where bubbles strat popping up in the next few months.
The more I look at the picture,,the flop of the metallic looks different from the other panel, iam not liking the panel gap as well. Not to scare you but this could have been (touched up). Dealer/factory will do this for any shipping damage that's caused in freight.

A digital mil gauge would tell you if it was resprayed but you have to know how to read it. You will get various numbers all over the car , I've seen it vary up to 2 mills on a panel most brands keep it around a mil. For reference a hood might hit 3.56 on the right side 3.03 in middle then 4.1 on left that's normal. Now if I were to get a 6.9 or 7 on said hood on a corner and it dont look perfect. It screams respary

Last edited:
OP
OP

Angeloand

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 RSX-S
Just got a good thorough looking at the car this morning and also noticed a small bubble on the bottom of the passenger side door. And other panel gaps :confused:

OP
OP

Angeloand

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 RSX-S
Yes that's a problem and it will fail prematurely. Looks like there's some contamination which caused that. You don't know if it's between the base and primer or between the sheet metal and primer.
If I were you I would give the rest of the car a real good once over see if it's happening anywhere else.
Best case,, these were there from day 1, would really suck to have a adhesion issue forming where bubbles strat popping up in the next few months.
The more I look at the picture,,the flop of the metallic looks different from the other panel, iam not liking the panel gap as well. Not to scare you but this could have been (touched up). Dealers will do this for any shipping damage that's caused in freight.

A digital mil gauge would tell you if it was resprayed but you have to know how to read it. You will get various numbers all over the car , I've seen it vary up to 2 mills on a panel most brands keep it around a mil. For reference a hood might hit 3.56 on the right side 3.03 in middle then 4.1 on left that's normal. Now if I were to get a 6.9 or 7 on said hood on a corner and it dont look perfect. It screams respary
Yeah, I've taken a more thorough look this morning and found a bunch of minor issues.
That gap occurs on the opposite side as well.

No other paint defects. But I noticed a big gap between the fender and headlights on the same side of the paint bubbling.

IMG_20231002_175408.jpg

Srt//////M3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 set challenger 2016 f80 m3 2020 outlander
Paint issues are a PIA to diagnose from pics alone. What iam seeing could just be lighting but I dought it. Take it back to that body shop have them mil it see what they find. Really this comes down to you, if it's a lease why bother,, with it have it documented and move on.
Some people say it's overkill but I always take the shops elcometer when iam car shopping, it saved me on a low mileage eba gtr, drivers door was resprayed was never documented who knows what happened

OP
OP

Angeloand

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 RSX-S
Paint issues are a PIA to diagnose from pics alone. What iam seeing could just be lighting but I dought it. Take it back to that body shop have them mil it see what they find. Really this comes down to you, if it's a lease why bother,, with it have it documented and move on.
Some people say it's overkill but I always take the shops elcometer when iam car shopping, it saved me on a low mileage eba gtr, drivers door was resprayed was never documented who knows what happened
Dang no, not a lease. Purchased.

So you mentioned that if it did get damaged than it would've been fixed by the dealership? So they would've known about it and didn't disclose it? Guess that's what I get for not physically checking out the car before purchasing and getting it shipped. Just gonna deal with warranty repairs and hope that they do a good job.šŸ˜„

Appreciate you.