• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
I have an appointment to take it to the dealer next week.
Let us know if they can find the part to perform the fix. My service manager told me there were no parts available in the system. He said he didn't know if it was a stop sale, or if there simply was no inventory.

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec
I took my car to the dealer today. I have to drive about 220 miles each way to get to an Acura dealer. They “could not validate the problem “. I drove in the car with the service technician. He basically gripped the wheel with two hands, pulling side to side at about 60 mph. He did not seem to understand that the problem is when trying to make subtle adjustments to the direction of the car. I’m driving home now, and getting more and more frustrated as I deal with the same steering problem. I guess I’ll file an NTSB report. Not sure what else to do. It’s pretty frustrating. As of next month, I will probably be driving about 2 to 3000 miles each month for work. Yikes. It’s just sad that it was such a nice car to drive when I got it, and this subtle thing totally ruins distance driving.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
They “could not validate the problem “.
That has to be maddening.

I'm very lucky my Acura dealer is only about 30 miles away and as soon as I mentioned the steering issue, they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Right now we're just waiting on parts availability. According to my service manager, there are no parts available. He said that one of the service techs drives an Integra and his has the issues, so they want to find a fix as soon as possible.

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec
I submitted an NHTSA report. Out of curiosity, has anyone brought their car to a dealer in the Dallas Fort Worth area, or in Texas elsewhere? If there is a service department, that is familiar with this problem, I could drive pretty far to get it there. I do a lot of highway driving, so this is unbelievably annoying.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
I submitted an NHTSA report. Out of curiosity, has anyone brought their car to a dealer in the Dallas Fort Worth area, or in Texas elsewhere? If there is a service department, that is familiar with this problem, I could drive pretty far to get it there. I do a lot of highway driving, so this is unbelievably annoying.
Well, it's only 9 hours down the road, but my dealership in the Nashville area has been helpful.

jorginho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec 6MT
I submitted an NHTSA report. Out of curiosity, has anyone brought their car to a dealer in the Dallas Fort Worth area, or in Texas elsewhere?
I went to Goodson Acura in Dallas a month ago to try and resolve the issue, but it was their first time hearing about it. Unfortunately, nothing was done then, but I’m going back next month since they suggested to come back if it persisted.

Integration

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra MT A Spec
I went to Goodson Acura in Dallas a month ago to try and resolve the issue, but it was their first time hearing about it. Unfortunately, nothing was done then, but I’m going back next month since they suggested to come back if it persisted.
That's funny. I was there today. They told me they'd never heard of anything like this :\ I tried to show them the ODI paper linked above, but they were uninterested unless there was a TSB on this specific vehicle. I'm reaching out to Acura corporate as well. I love my car, but one of the things I loved about it was the supple handling...

That said, they were very nice at Goodson. They even washed my car during the service. However, they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. The first service technician drove it around, not over 65, and was making bold turning movements with both hands on the wheel. Obviously, he was not going to feel the stickiness under those driving conditions. They had someone else drive it, and said they couldn't detect it.

I'm not sure what the forum rules are. Would I get in trouble for listing the name of my advisor? I'm not trying to dig at him, but it might be helpful to get the same guy.

jorginho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec 6MT
I'm not sure what the forum rules are. Would I get in trouble for listing the name of my advisor? I'm not trying to dig at him, but it might be helpful to get the same guy.
Weird, maybe we ended up getting different advisors? Don’t know the rules in here either, but you can dm me and hopefully get the dealer to notice. Not sure if that’ll do us much at the moment.

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I took my car to the dealer today. I have to drive about 220 miles each way to get to an Acura dealer. They “could not validate the problem “. I drove in the car with the service technician. He basically gripped the wheel with two hands, pulling side to side at about 60 mph. He did not seem to understand that the problem is when trying to make subtle adjustments to the direction of the car. I’m driving home now, and getting more and more frustrated as I deal with the same steering problem. I guess I’ll file an NTSB report. Not sure what else to do. It’s pretty frustrating. As of next month, I will probably be driving about 2 to 3000 miles each month for work. Yikes. It’s just sad that it was such a nice car to drive when I got it, and this subtle thing totally ruins distance driving.
First, hang in there and be persistent.

Second, file an NHTSA report. It only takes a few minutes. It costs you nothing and gives you specific documentation on when the problem is happening.

Third, you can submit an customer care case through https://mygarage.honda.com/s/send-an-email. I did that when I was getting nowhere with my dealer early this fall. I had already had it in for this problem in January, and after the fall visit (where I brought my 4 NHTSA reports Civic TSB printout) they said they'd contact Acura. The response I got back from customer care said they couldn't do anything but documented my experience as a formal complaint against my dealer. I don't know if it was that or the service advisor actually following up with Acura, but a week later I had a new steering rack.

The bottom line is the bottom line. The service dept won't do this $2000+ repair unless they know that someone (you or Acura) is going to pay for it. Since there's no recall (yet) and no TSB, it's not obvious to them the manufacturer is going to pay for it. The dealer service dept has to work with Acura case-by-case to get those approved (paid for). Obviously your service dept needs convincing to pick up the phone and ask Acura for that approval. Anything you can do to tip that scale helps. Provide documentation, be clear it's a safety issue and that you're not giving up. Send them your NHTSA reports, send them the official investigation that now includes Integra: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2023/Acura/Integra#investigations.

I'd say you should find another Acura dealer but that's easy for me to say. Mine is 5 miles away and there's 2 others within 15 miles.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
I just sent an email to Honda regarding the issue. I am doing all I can in hope that this issue can get fixed soon. It's very disappointing to get a new car that doesn't work as designed and there is no fix available.

I understand the legal side of the issue and I know Honda/Acura corporate and dealers have to keep their mouths shut until a go forward strategy is determined. I just want them to announce that strategy sooner rather than later.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
Just took a peek to see if I could determine any parts availability and it looks like we have another new part number for the Rack Assembly: 53620-3S5-A34 (previous was A24).

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 12.57.43 PM.png

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Mercedes CLA35 AMG
Knowing that we'll have to live with this for a bit, have you guys found a way to make it less dangerous?

Just got back from a 700km trip ~440miles, here's what worked for me:

I've been driving with comfort steering for the past 10000kms and i found if i switch to sport steering, stickiness doesn't go away of course but when i overcome the 'notch', steering jerks less. Steering is heavier in sport and keeps it steadier so im less likely to overcorrect. Yes it's not much of a relaxed drive but it isnt that way with sticky steering anyway.

second thing i noticed, we've got some high speed limit sections and traffic flows even faster. Going from driving at about 105kmh (60mph) which is probably worst speed for sticky steering, upto about 135kmh (85mph), weirdly, steering felt way better even in comfort mode, almost no stickiness. Not sure if it's the extra cooling or what but i swear it got better and was back to being sticky when slowed down.

third and last; after about 2hrs hwy driving, we passed through a couple towns with some stop and go traffic, half hour in traffic and then last 45min of hwy driving again had no stickiness at all, it was bizarre. Maybe warmed up enough?

knowing the issue is temperature related due to changes of the annealed surfaces, im sure there are temperature ranges that work better and worse.

Outside was 11C / 52F the entire time and some on/off light rain.

im not expecting any real solution from Acura Canada nor my dealer anytime soon,
it's our only family car so Im trying to make it work in the meantime.

TrackRider54

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 A-Spec Tech
Emailed my service advisor about the new part number and got a reply fairly quickly. Can't say enough good about Gary Force Acura here in Nashville. Really good people who seem to want to make me a happy customer.

Here's the email I received back:

"Josh (service manager) will reach out to you the 1st of next week. We are going to order a new rack but they are still not available till some time late February or March. The DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) for Acura is back Tuesday and we will arrange a rental for you till the part arrives."

So if I'm reading this correctly, it looks like they are going to provide me with a car until mine is repaired. That would be unbelievably nice of them.

I really haven't been a squeaky wheel, just kept in touch with them since purchasing the car on November 30th. Probably reach out once a week. I've already received several timely emails from the service advisor and a call from the service manager.

Given that there is no recall or TSB, I am really impressed at how well the dealer is handling the issue. I think they are doing all they can.

middleagedaang

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra M/T
Emailed my service advisor about the new part number and got a reply fairly quickly. Can't say enough good about Gary Force Acura here in Nashville. Really good people who seem to want to make me a happy customer.

Here's the email I received back:

"Josh (service manager) will reach out to you the 1st of next week. We are going to order a new rack but they are still not available till some time late February or March. The DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) for Acura is back Tuesday and we will arrange a rental for you till the part arrives."

So if I'm reading this correctly, it looks like they are going to provide me with a car until mine is repaired. That would be unbelievably nice of them.

I really haven't been a squeaky wheel, just kept in touch with them since purchasing the car on November 30th. Probably reach out once a week. I've already received several timely emails from the service advisor and a call from the service manager.

Given that there is no recall or TSB, I am really impressed at how well the dealer is handling the issue. I think they are doing all they can.
Interesting that you were given a timeframe. I took mine in before Christmas and they were able to verify the issue, and are ordering the new rack and EPS module. However they had no idea when the parts would be available. I am not being given a loaner until then, but that is okay with me. My partner and I can use the '12 Accord for long trips until this is fixed.

I originally reported this issue last winter. I am really looking forward to getting it repaired, as it has been the only problem of note that I have had with the car.