• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Steering wheel spacer

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
Anyone know if I can install a steering wheel spacer while keeping the stock base spec steering wheel?

I’m 6’3” and have trouble reaching the steering wheel because I gotta scoot my seat way back. I installed a quick release and deep dish wheel on my 240 and it fits me perfectly. I was hoping there’d be some kind of steering wheel spacer I can get to extend it towards me a couple inches while keeping the stock steering wheel and functionality intact

Padre Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec, Tech. MT
I am 6’4, but all of my height in in my torso. You have telescoped it out, I assume, and understand. The wheel is not a tilt wheel, so I would think you might find someone to fabricate something like this. I haven’t replaced a steering wheel since my 1976 Ford Capri IIS., so I don’t know how hard it would be…..

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I'm 6'1 of leg and have the seat all the way back without issue. I'm struggling to understand how you have an issue reaching the wheel. Are you laying down while driving?

OP
OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
I'm 6'1 of leg and have the seat all the way back without issue. I'm struggling to understand how you have an issue reaching the wheel. Are you laying down while driving?
I can reach it but it's not a perfect fit. A lot of my height comes from my legs and not my torso so it's a tricky situation. I have my seat set at a distance where my hamstrings will rest on the bottom of the seat, and I have adjusted the recline to where my palms touch the top of the wheel when extending my arms out straight. If I adjust the recline any further up, it's a bit uncomfortable and makes me feel like I'm sitting too upright.

the perfect distance is where you can extend your arms and your wrists touch the top of the wheel. (example video) This makes turning feel a lot more natural.

---

looking back at the initial post, I should have re-worded "trouble reaching the steering wheel"

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
A bit of anecdotal evidence here: I used to recline a lot. I purchased and installed a 1 piece racing seat in my rx7 and daily drove it like that for 2 years. Since then, I've noticed way less reclining and a much better connection with all vehicles since it forced me and I got used to a more upright position. Based on my experience it sounds like you are reclining too far. YMMV though.

OP
OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
A bit of anecdotal evidence here: I used to recline a lot. I purchased and installed a 1 piece racing seat in my rx7 and daily drove it like that for 2 years. Since then, I've noticed way less reclining and a much better connection with all vehicles since it forced me and I got used to a more upright position. Based on my experience it sounds like you are reclining too far. YMMV though.
You may be right, I’ve probably been reclining for so long that anything else feels unnatural. I’ll give it a few weeks and see how I feel.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
You may be right, I’ve probably been reclining for so long that anything else feels unnatural. I’ll give it a few weeks and see how I feel.
Post back with your findings 👍

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Wrist on top is how I learned but I found it's easy to cheat by moving your shoulder forward. Another way to dial in is by holding the wheel at 9 & 3 (where you should be anyway) and adjust until you have a comfortable bend in your elbow, roughly 90 degrees. You might look like a granny but you should be able to keep that grip through a turn without having to reach with your shoulders.

OP
OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
Update: I adjusted the recline forward until my wrist hit the wheel I also moved the seat forward just barely to give myself some more bend in my arm and it’s a night and day difference. I can feel myself getting used to sitting upright and I’ve got a lot more control in corners. Appreciate the help from everyone!

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Maybe a height reduction and pass it to us shorter guys😂