• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Paint, fit and finish.....an issue?

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Appreciate your first sentence....thx.

So your priorities are different than mine, point accepted......It's called a diversity of opinion.

I have taken a step back on my original "must have it" reaction to the ITS. My first step was to verify that the actual performance envelope met or exceeded my expectations. If I didn't like driving it the answer is clear and no need to proceed. Like you, I have and still own cars that are both very capable and well built. I've also simultaniosly owned cars of lesser overall quality or performance if they satisfied a specific need. Not every vehicle I've owned was a show car gem or exceptional sports car.

The other elements were the fit, finish, functionality and features relative to what I value. This is where I found a number of inconsistancies with my needs, expectations, and wishes. While the features may be different, they met my minimally acceptable criteria and in a few cases were better and some worse...but overall ok.

The fit and finish has been the area that was underwhelming and disappointing. Granted it's been 25 yrs since I owned my last Acura, but the obvious decline in this area was surprising, epecially when compared to the quality of other cars currently available in the market.

My journey in assessing the ITS has come to a decision point. The driving performance hits or exceeds the target,
the price point is within a range that works for me, the features satisfy most of my highest priorties, the fit and finish may not.

The black paint doesn't show the paint mismatch issue bc of the color saturation, so it is possible that one of the darker colors will bridge the gap. The fit issue is one I've conceded, so the go no go depends on evaluating the other paint colors.

Since I hold 2 allocations at 2 different dealers, there is a chance I'll find one that meets my own personal preferences. And if not, then other enthusiasts will have 2 more opportunities to own one.

Last edited:

PicklesTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
992 Carrera S, Integra Type S
Have anyone with a regular integra tried to loosen all the bolts and adjust the front bumpers.

I can't imagine that the misalignment is a limitation of the platform. It's prabbaly just the assembly line / dealer slapping it on and tightening all the bolts without checking.

Estoril

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevy SS, 4runner
Appreciate your first sentence....thx.

So your priorities are different than mine, point accepted......It's called a diversity of opinion.

I have taken a step back on my original "must have it" reaction to the ITS. My first step was to verify that the actual performance envelope met or exceeded my expectations. If I didn't like driving it the answer is clear and no need to proceed. Like you, I have and still own cars that are both very capable and well built. I've also simultaniosly owned cars of lesser overall quality or performance if they satisfied a specific need. Not every vehicle I've owned was a show car gem or exceptional sports car.

The other elements were the fit, finish, functionality and features relative to what I value. This is where I found a number of inconsistancies with my needs, expectations, and wishes. While the features may be different, they met my minimally acceptable criteria and in a few cases were better and some worse...but overall ok.

The fit and finish has been the area that was underwhelming and disappointing. Granted it's been 25 yrs since I owned my last Acura, but the obvious decline in this area was surprising, epecially when compared to the quality of other cars currently available in the market.

My journey in assessing the ITS has come to a decision point. The driving performance hits or exceeds the target,
the price point is within a range that works for me, the features satisfy most of my highest priorties, the fit and finish may not.

The black paint doesn't show the paint mismatch issue bc of the color saturation, so it is possible that one of the darker colors will bridge the gap. The fit issue is one I've conceded, so the go no go depends on evaluating the other paint colors.

Since I hold 2 allocations at 2 different dealers, there is a chance I'll find one that meets my own personal preferences. And if not, then other enthusiasts will have 2 more opportunities to own one.
For what it's worth the demo vehicle I saw dissuaded me from my number 1 choice in color and im typically pretty fair with quirkiness, the pictures dont even do it justice if im honest. I am still going to check out a darker color to see if it gets better

20230622_135201.jpg

20230622_135106.jpg

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Some cars are definitely worse than others. But... even in that pic... one angle looks bad the other doesn't really bother me. YMMV.

I think maybe that's what this boils down too. The two white cars I've seen were pretty legit and didn't have too many glaring issues.

I guess the consensus is, be aware these issues exist, and be prepared to walk away if they don't meet your individual standards.

As for voicing concerns, sure. But ultimately we can complain all day every day on the forums, if every car is sold out and many sold with markups, not a damn bit of it makes any difference. Especially considering the primary problem here is parts being painted separately. I cannot imagine the degree of difficulty required to make that change to the assembly process.

Maybe you folks just need to hold out for the PMC editions.

lz23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z
Some cars are definitely worse than others. But... even in that pic... one angle looks bad the other doesn't really bother me. YMMV.

I think maybe that's what this boils down too. The two white cars I've seen were pretty legit and didn't have too many glaring issues.

I guess the consensus is, be aware these issues exist, and be prepared to walk away if they don't meet your individual standards.

As for voicing concerns, sure. But ultimately we can complain all day every day on the forums, if every car is sold out and many sold with markups, not a damn bit of it makes any difference. Especially considering the primary problem here is parts being painted separately. I cannot imagine the degree of difficulty required to make that change to the assembly process.

Maybe you folks just need to hold out for the PMC editions.
You can see the same color variation just above the door handle up to the bottom of the window ,I think alot has to do with the angles and curves and the way the white metallic reflects back

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Those observations, assessment and solution are very valid sir!

The quality of paint is directly proportional to the investment in equipment, process and materials. If a company has choosen to produce to an expected quality (control) level and designed the manufacturing operation accordingly, changing it is a major challenge.

Evidently Acura has also reached your conclusion. However, there are customers that will pay and expect higher quality levels they Acura can produce on the factory floor. Which means there is a market for improved paint and fit than they can profitability
make...so some mktg guy said why not use the investments we made for the NSX and charge customers to provide what other mfgrs provide as part of their MSRP.

Call it opportunistic mktg to those customers that are wanting the " prestige" of a so called "hand built car" for a 15% premium to get a decent fit and finish.......genius.....and right out of the Porsche "paint to sample" playbook for an additional $12k per car.

Last edited:

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Those observations, assessment and solution are very valid sir!

The quality of paint is directly proportional to the investment in equipment, process and materials. If a company has choosen to produce to an expected quality (control) level and designed the manufacturing operation accordingly, changing it is a major challenge.

Evidently Acura has also reached your conclusion. However, there are customers that will pay and expect higher quality levels they Acura can produce on the factory floor. Which means there is a market for improved paint and fit than they can profitability
make...so some mktg guy said why not use the investments we made for the NSX and charge customers to provide what other mfgrs provide as part of their MSRP.

Call it opportunistic mktg to those customers that are wanting the " prestige" of a so called "hand built car" for a 15% premium to get a decent fit and finish.......genius.....and right out of the Porsche "paint to sample" playbook for an additional $12k per car.
Yeah I'll readily admit the whole concept of "PMC edition" is a con in plain sight.

They'll sell every one they make, likely at markups.

Paint to sample is totally different... you're paying for a customization option, technically a service. It's expensive, yes- but they don't have to do it. And people certainly don't have to pay it... in fact, they make it as hard as possible to pay $12k for PTS by restricting allocations and randomly deciding in seemingly every model year that they're just not doing it right now. Yet somehow people will literally fight each other over PTS allocations... and then the cars sell for ludicrous prices on the used market!

Porsche and Rolex have rich guys all figured out. Acura's PMC program is just playing for second.

JC-RH

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech 6MT
Have anyone with a regular integra tried to loosen all the bolts and adjust the front bumpers.

I can't imagine that the misalignment is a limitation of the platform. It's prabbaly just the assembly line / dealer slapping it on and tightening all the bolts without checking.

I’ve been putting this off for a while, but I’ll probably tackle it early next week. My driver’s side fender and bumper aren’t completely flush, but I have a feeling I can improve it.

IMG_0084.jpeg

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’ve been putting this off for a while, but I’ll probably tackle it early next week. My driver’s side fender and bumper aren’t completely flush, but I have a feeling I can improve it.

IMG_0084.jpeg
Based on what I've seen there is a set of locating tabs under the joint. A knowledgeable Acura tech should be able to improve it. If the bumpers portion at the joint seems disconnected, that is a clue it is improperly installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based on what I've seen there is a set of locating tabs under the joint. A knowledgeable Acura tech should be able to improve it. If the bumpers portion at the joint seems disconnected, that is a clue it is improperly installed.
What is the name of the color on your car? The paint match from bumper to fender looks better than what I've seen on the Type S.

MickleNoot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(Soon) '24 Integra Type S, '70 RB26-powered 240Z
Picking up my TEP allovation now. I see 0 mismatch on the rear bumper and only a slight difference on the front. I'm not picky anyway, but just putting it out there for others that are.
20230630_134737.jpg

20230630_134747.jpg

lz23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z
Picking up my TEP allovation now. I see 0 mismatch on the rear bumper and only a slight difference on the front. I'm not picky anyway, but just putting it out there for others that are.
20230630_134737.jpg

20230630_134747.jpg
That front bumper is not a slight difference,it looks like a totally different color .I would not take a car with that much variation in color. It would bother me every time I looked at it.

MickleNoot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(Soon) '24 Integra Type S, '70 RB26-powered 240Z
That front bumper is not a slight difference,it looks like a totally different color .I would not take a car with that much variation in color. It would bother me every time I looked at it.
Doesn't bother me at all and it's only visible from that angle down low. Don't buy one, easy as that.

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20230630_134737.jpg

20230630_134747.jpg
In general the natural lighting in outdoor covered (shaded) areas and interior areas with incandescent lighting ( ie: showroom, service bays) tends to minimize the visibility of a mis-match. Oddly, so does intense direct light (full sunny day) which tends to wash out the differences. It is on cloudy or rainy days, or later in the day when the sunlight is limited and idirect that it is most notable.

You are correct, low viewing angles or if the car or the observer is moving allowing the light to be reflected at different angles off the surface excentuates that metallic paint colors and can reflect different light and colors from the paint depending on the orientation of the panels when they were sprayed.

Would you mind taking the same front corner pic in bright sunlight and another nearing dusk to compare the two?

By the way, congratulation on getting one of the first TIGER EYE Integra Type S cars. Love to learn about your driving experiences and insights.

Hopefully my ITS allocation arrives in the next 60 -90 days.

OP
OP

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Enclosed is a pic of APEX blue which seems to minimize visible paint mis-match. However, upper fender/bumper joint seam appears to not mate well on lower edge....protruding.

IMG_2793.jpeg