• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Manual shifter question

Miiiisa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Hello all, got a quick question about the shifter. When I shift to 2nd gear in my integra, I can feel that it is bumpy, or clicky? I don't know how to describe it but it is not smooth, feels like I rubbed into something. Is this normal or you shouldn't feel anything when shifting. It only happens when shifting to 2nd gear. Thanks!

Quick edit: had this problem since I got the car, right now it has 3000 miles on it, I thought it is normal and would be gone after I drive the car for a while, but it didn't.

Last edited:

KiloFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra M/T
Hard to say without experiencing it. Does it feel the same if you shift at lower vs higher RPM? From personal experience, shifts sometimes feel very smooth, and sometimes feel "notchy" as some youtube reviews described. I can't recall whether the difference in feel aligns with a specific gear.

OP
OP

Miiiisa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Hard to say without experiencing it. Does it feel the same if you shift at lower vs higher RPM? From personal experience, shifts sometimes feel very smooth, and sometimes feel "notchy" as some youtube reviews described. I can't recall whether the difference in feel aligns with a specific gear.
Thanks, I guess It's ok for now, I'll ask them about it when I do my first oil change. When do you usually shift from 1st to 2nd?

KiloFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra M/T
I'm still learning this thing, but usually after 3k. I've been more focused on rev hang and not shaking the car, less on shifter-feel. If I have someone else with me, I've found it better to shift earlier, closer to 2k.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Mine doesn't like shifting into 1st or 2nd with a cold transmission. Second is notchy and first is a battle of wills. Once it warms up it smooths out and shifts fine but it needs the revs matched when cold.

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
I'm with Kilo on it having a notchy feel. But for me it is fairly consistent for all shifts, all gears.
For shift point, if I'm accerating with traffic, usually between 3000-3500 into second. But if I'm just rolling, I may go as low as 2000 rpm, as I have difficulty keeping the ride smooth in first. I tend to have throttle sensitivity and the car bucks back and forth a bit.

SiTurbo269

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra S-Type
Hello all, got a quick question about the shifter. When I shift to 2nd gear in my integra, I can feel that it is bumpy, or clicky? I don't know how to describe it but it is not smooth, feels like I rubbed into something. Is this normal or you shouldn't feel anything when shifting. It only happens when shifting to 2nd gear. Thanks!

Quick edit: had this problem since I got the car, right now it has 3000 miles on it, I thought it is normal and would be gone after I drive the car for a while, but it didn't.
Shift poo poo sometimes, I too wonder wtf. This shifter sometimes not smooth. Sometimes don’t want to go in gear.

SKL

First Name
See
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Typical Honda 2nd gears - had this in my 5G Prelude but the Integra is much less grindy. I swapped in Redline MTL with great success and had that for over 220k miles without issues. Your mileage may vary since others didn't have the same results in the Prelude as I did.

I plan to run Redline again at 30k miles. Maybe at 10k if this persists and annoys me more.

Nycvic

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec 6MT
I'm with Kilo on it having a notchy feel. But for me it is fairly consistent for all shifts, all gears.
For shift point, if I'm accerating with traffic, usually between 3000-3500 into second. But if I'm just rolling, I may go as low as 2000 rpm, as I have difficulty keeping the ride smooth in first. I tend to have throttle sensitivity and the car bucks back and forth a bit.
I third this as well. Notchy from 1st to 2nd @ low speeds and RPMS in The 2k-2.5k range

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Everybody saying second is notchy:

Does the feeling go away after 15-20 minutes of driving?

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
In my experience, it goes away with a heavier shift knob. I put on a 500gm Billetworkz, which was stupid expensive, but my shifts are easy and close to butter smooth.

DaNuKidd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-spec tech
Agreed when I installed my weighted knob as well most of that notchyness is gone.

solman

First Name
Sol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra ASPEC 6MT TECH, 2011 Ford F250
For all the reviews saying this is the slickest manual trans out there I find the shifting is often pretty crunchy. Especially noticeable when the trans is cold. At times it shifts like butter once its been driven a while, other times not so much.
Has me scratching my head and wondering.
Where does one get a weighted shifter Knob and how to drop the boot and instal it?

Last edited:

treyk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT

Definitely know what you are talking about as I feel it every time I drive and if I'm in the parking garage with the windows down I can hear the trans clunk too. My friend drove my car and said he also feels it and this is well after the trans warmed up. Only happens 1st to 2nd and people on the 11th gen civic forums say its typical Honda stuff so idk what to do other than get a heavier knob.

nawfoo

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra
I think you guys are shifting it wrong. Most people shift gears in one motion. Some people jam it into gear. When I shift, I pull it out of gear, stop slightly at neutral and then slowly pop it into the next gear. I've also noticed that the less force you use the more smooth the gears to in. You can practice using just the tips of your thumb, index, and middle finger to push the knob into gear rather than grip it with your entire palm and shove it into gear.