• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Integra SH-AWD confirmed? Possibly

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
I really dont get why people bitch about CVT. The problem is that companies nerf them due to people complaining "but mah shift feel!'

Probably the smoothest modern car I've driven was an auto was a 2013 Nissan Altima with a CVT before they started to program in "fake shifts" because people couldn't understand its DOESNT shift and complained that it needed to be fixed. Also a CVT can hold the optimal power point for your rev range, which is all adding gears to a standard Auto does. The only downside to them is their ability to endure heat for long periods.

I used to get 45+MPG on the highway regularly with the aircon on in a CVT Altima, and it was smooth as could be the whole trip. I'm a manual lover, but if I had a CVT Integra did that good as a comfortable daily that could just soak up the miles I'd still be happy with it.

Last edited:

HKF

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Yep. I’m definitely not buying one if it’s got a CVT. Tried to ignore people saying Acura constantly disappoints but honestly AWD was a nice plus and oh well I’m not getting that. But that’s an insult to drop a CVT in this thing.
Why is it an insult? Acura doesn’t owe you anything! I think about the other ways that Audi, BMW, etc. take a shit on their customers with the A3, 2 Series GC, etc. Acura is at least bringing a manual to the table, what are pretty much guaranteed to be top safety ratings, 5 door versatility, an excellent foundation for fun handling, etc.,etc.,etc.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I really dont get why people bitch about CVT. The problem is that companies nerf them due to people complaining "but mah shift feel!'

Probably the smoothest modern car I've driven was an auto was a 2013 Nissan Altima with a CVT before they started to program in "fake shifts" because people couldn't understand its DOESNT shift and complained that it needed to be fixed. Also a CVT can hold the optimal power point for your rev range, which is all adding gears to a standard Auto does. The only downside to them is their ability to endure heat for long periods.

I used to get 45+MPG on the highway regularly with the aircon on in a CVT Altima, and it was smooth as could be the whole trip. I'm a manual lover, but if I had a CVT Integra did that good as a comfortable daily that could just soak up the miles I'd still be happy with it.
First to admit you’re totally right. My wife’s CVT civic is miserable to drive so that’s where my impressions of it lie. It’s better for everything related to daily driving, but irrationally I can’t stand it. So it’s dumb but just preference for the car to feel a little more Alive

I guess I’ll just have to drive it and see if they make it feel better than the regular civic CVT. Also a manual guy myself so maybe I’m just bitter that the traffic around here forced me out of it lol

Last edited:

Litflynt912

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic EXL HB 2023 Integra A Spec Tech
I bought a 22 civic. Now my kid has it. To me. It’s the perfect car. Save the CVT. I was getting 33mpg but even with a 180hp engine it felt sluggish to me.

I bought a 22 A220 to wait it out and the 188HP DCT was extremely fun feeling the gears shift. The only reason I sold it was because I was getting more than I paid and I really want to wait the integra out

If the integra has a cvt I won’t completely shut down the idea but I’ll definitely be disappointed. Im bracing for disappointment

RandomHondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Toyota Avalon XL
Why is it an insult? Acura doesn’t owe you anything! I think about the other ways that Audi, BMW, etc. take a shit on their customers with the A3, 2 Series GC, etc. Acura is at least bringing a manual to the table, what are pretty much guaranteed to be top safety ratings, 5 door versatility, an excellent foundation for fun handling, etc.,etc.,etc.
It's goes both ways. If he wants something other than a CVT and Acura doesn't supply he doesn't owe them his money.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N(sold)
I hate CVT and it will probably be a deal breaker for me, but I honestly think it will be just fine for most people.

RandomHondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Toyota Avalon XL
I think people including myself don't want a CVT in the Integra becuase it will take away a bit of the Luxury and Performance aspect of it. CVTs tend to drone which isn't fun when daily driving or pushing a vehicle. As said before they tend to mimic shifts so why not have a real auto in there. Finally off the top of my head most luxury auto makers use an automatic on their vehicles. The only ones that don't are Lexus for their hybrids and Infiniti ( and we see where they are currently). When looking at the Infiniti models w/CVT vs it's competition with traditional automatics , the EPA rating are the about the same. A big benefit of CVTs is that they save money compared to automatics, so Acura putting it on the Integra would just be a cost cutting measure.

HKF

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Accord
I didn’t say that he owed them anything either.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
so Acura putting it on the Integra would just be a cost cutting measure.
It wouldn't even be that much of a cost cut (in development) given that the DCT in the ILX is completely developed and paid for thanks to the long lifespan of the ILX and the first gen TLX that used it. It can already handle the 200+hp the 1.5T will have. BUT given that it's the only model that has that transmission, it would be added cost on the production side which could be a reason to not use it and instead spend the time and money to bolster the CVT to handle the power.

I don't HATE the CVT. My last 3 civics had them, and they pair very well IMO to the turbo in that they can keep the engine in it's optimum torque and power range for pretty seamless power up to the limit once everything spools up. However, I feel like to make the most of the probably 200hp the Integra will get, and to help bolster the sporty/performance marketing of the car (and the brand), the stepped DCT would be a better fit and probably be better at squeezing the most oomph from the modest power the car will make.

Regardless of which transmission they do go with, as others have said, it's all about gearing and ECU mapping. My 19' civic coupe with stock 173hp and CVT manages 0-60 in 6.7 seconds (quick for an economy car). Compared to the new civic after honda made "tweaks and changes for efficiency and driveability" with 180hp doing the same run almost a second slower, not helped by added weight, even the Si is slower than my coupe in most instances in a straight line. Take into account additional weight of the Integra and assuming it won't get bumped beyond the 200hp Si figure, they'll really have to work on transmission tuning to make sure their $30k+ sport premium compact doesn't end up a 8+ second slug to 60.

While cars like the civic and integra have always been more about handling than outright speed, there has to be a cutoff to when the cost of the vehicle no longer justifies how slow it is, regardless of handling prowess. Most entry level premium and luxury cars manage the run in around 6.5 seconds, and Acura really needs to try and get within a few tenths of that number.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I didn’t say that he owed them anything either.
Don’t sell people on precision crafted performance and then sell an econobox with a CVT is my problem. I haven’t owned an Acura product but the slogan and newer cars seemed to be going the right direction. They heralded this car as the way to get people into the brand but it just isn’t living up to the hype I had for it is all.

maybe I’ll still get one, but like many others I have to consider other options

RandomHondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Toyota Avalon XL
I agree with your points Robb. A CVT in reality is probably fine irl. The thing is from a marketing standpoint Acura marketed this as a performance vehicle and those in that market for sure want a traditional auto. For example a WRX has a 85% manual take rate with an available cvt. Meanwhile a GTI/ golf r has a 44% manual take rate with an available DCT. Traditional automatics are definitely favored and in demand. I garuntee you that if Acura puts a CVT in this vehicle the internet will double down on the hate for this car.

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
They have VTEC for the 1.5T and 2.0T. I don’t foresee a DCT coming to either engine. 1.5T might get the CVT and 2.0T gets 10 Speed. I would just wait and see. I hope they do something soon because I’m getting even more impatient because my lease ends around June and I gotta figure out if I buy a Civic hatchback for the mean time and utilize the whole market and sell it to Carmax.
If it's a CVT then Acura truly deserves all the criticism and hate because no way the performance/luxury brand should have a CVT

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
If you say so…?
Yeah, that's how a potential customer feels. It's not unreasonable to see why. If it has a CVT I truly don't see a reason to get it over a civic. The similar interior is one thing, but the CVT, however great they make it, is a deal breaker for me as I'm not planning on getting a Type S. Might force me to learn the manual, if we're looking for a positive side. Acura itself isn't exactly the most successful luxury brand and I'm not sure I want to invest money into a brand that doesn't seem to know what it's doing. ?

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Read the article and the quote from Acura. Was it a mistake as in wrong or a mistake as in they screwed up leaking it.

Being that the “leak” said “available” shawd. But Acura also confirmed the integra will be traditional fwd. I feel like it’s not unreasonable to think this Acura quote is a cover up, and if true we can expect the type s to have the shawd. Technically the regular integra will be fwd. so they aren’t lying. But they also don’t want the shawd type s info out there.

But as others have said, If they go cvt it’ll be a slap in the face. Doesn’t matter how many fake shifts they give it. There is nothing sporty about them. I’m really hoping for the DCT.

Last edited: