• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to PPF the front?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Dumb question, but how much of the front bumper does it cover? I assume it does NOT cover the grille, but does it cover the front gloss vents and the beam in front of the intercooler?
Yeah great question- I am particularly concerned about the gloss black. That will start to get chewed up in a couple hundred miles.

MickleNoot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
(Soon) '24 Integra Type S, '70 RB26-powered 240Z
Dumb question, but how much of the front bumper does it cover? I assume it does NOT cover the grille, but does it cover the front gloss vents and the beam in front of the intercooler?
You assume correctly. It essentially covers everything painted. It covers the grill surround and black intakes, just not the grill itself.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
You assume correctly. It essentially covers everything painted. It covers the grill surround and black intakes, just not the grill itself.
Awesome, thanks! I was pretty stressed about the Integra area as I saw a few base models with rectangles cut out or wonky letters which would have made me flip out, LOL. Glad to hear other templates are out already so we don't have to deal with that and not just Xpel.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I just had mine done on Monday with SunTek, and they had templates available. The individual letters in "Integra" are cut out on the template and match up almost perfectly.
When I called around it seemed suntek was the most proactive for adding new car models, they would even drive to a shop to scan a vehicle.

MickleNoot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When I called around it seemed suntek was the most proactive for adding new car models, they would even drive to a shop to scan a vehicle.
That certainly seems like a good sign they care about their product. I've previously had SunTek installed on two other cars, and I was very pleased with the clarity and durability. Granted, it definitely helps to have a good installer.

Croissants

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' Apex Blue Pearl ITS
So I mentioned in another thread that I got a full front PPF done. The cost was $2K and was in line with what other shops in my area were charging when shopping around ($1.8K - $2.5K in LA area). I had the option of either XPEL Ultimate Plus or STEK Dynoshield and went with STEK based on the shop owner's recommendation when comparing gloss and orange peel. I believe he did also mention that XPEL however is somewhat easier for his team to work with.

Hood and fender were fully wrapped with tucked edges and they even removed the hood vent to tuck the PPF under it. I want to say there is a template available as they were able to lazer cut the Integra stamping and not do an ugly box around the logo. Where the bumper meets the hood was tucked, the bumper to fender line and most other bumper to trim lines were edge cut. I would say the most visible cut is on the piano black air duct trim where it was done in 2 pieces: one for the flat bottom portion and one for the top and side with the two meeting at the edge where the trim starts to angle upwards. I'll probably take a pic of this later to better explain.

Here is a pic of the cut around the Integra stamping, and it really isn't noticeable until you get up really close.
IMG_4505.jpeg

B-RapidK20

First Name
Sherm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GX460, 2022 Cayman GTS, 2022 Corolla hatch
Yeah great question- I am particularly concerned about the gloss black. That will start to get chewed up in a couple hundred miles.
Definitely wrapping the gloss black especially where the b pillar is. I don’t mind the rock chips but the swirls will drive me nuts.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely wrapping the gloss black especially where the b pillar is. I don’t mind the rock chips but the swirls will drive me nuts.
I hear you, gloss black on the b pillar is a consistent theme for many, many cars. I've had 3 Macans and it drove me nuts with all of them.

What has worked for me though is hand polishing when it gets noticeably bad, but it is one more thing to stay on top of. Interestingly enough, my current Macan is completely wrapped in Xpel Stealth... but not the B pillars. Honestly didn't think about it... and fortunately for me I'm not too beat up about tiny swirls and honestly get a sense of satisfaction from polishing them out.

A slip of PPF would make that all go away though... but for me, ever since the brand new World Rally Blue STI I had was riddled with rock chips after the first 5000 miles, I've had PTSD. The rocker panels on the two Boxsters I had prior to getting PPF on the 3rd were also pretty tore up. It's easy for me to justify PPF, but man it is freaking expensive.

B-RapidK20

First Name
Sherm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hear you, gloss black on the b pillar is a consistent theme for many, many cars. I've had 3 Macans and it drove me nuts with all of them.

What has worked for me though is hand polishing when it gets noticeably bad, but it is one more thing to stay on top of. Interestingly enough, my current Macan is completely wrapped in Xpel Stealth... but not the B pillars. Honestly didn't think about it... and fortunately for me I'm not too beat up about tiny swirls and honestly get a sense of satisfaction from polishing them out.

A slip of PPF would make that all go away though... but for me, ever since the brand new World Rally Blue STI I had was riddled with rock chips after the first 5000 miles, I've had PTSD. The rocker panels on the two Boxsters I had prior to getting PPF on the 3rd were also pretty tore up. It's easy for me to justify PPF, but man it is freaking expensive.
I know that modern paint is on the thinner side. My Cayman with only 6000 miles is peppered with rock chip on the front bumper, front of the hood, and both rocker panels near the rear wheel. Lucky my Agate grey paint conceals it pretty well. I’m not sure what color Type S I’ll end up getting from the dealer. So if it’s black I’m doing full PPF suntek. If it is red or blue I’m doing full PPF Xpel stealth just to knock down the loud color. And all other colors will just be PPF on the gloss black exterior pieces.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know that modern paint is on the thinner side. My Cayman with only 6000 miles is peppered with rock chip on the front bumper, front of the hood, and both rocker panels near the rear wheel. Lucky my Agate grey paint conceals it pretty well. I’m not sure what color Type S I’ll end up getting from the dealer. So if it’s black I’m doing full PPF suntek. If it is red or blue I’m doing full PPF Xpel stealth just to knock down the loud color. And all other colors will just be PPF on the gloss black exterior pieces.
Not a bad approach. I'm considering Stealth for the red, it will depend on how much I like the color after a couple weeks.

B-RapidK20

First Name
Sherm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a bad approach. I'm considering Stealth for the red, it will depend on how much I like the color after a couple weeks.
Good job on actually hand polishing it yourself that’s real old school. The Type S will be my daily beater I put many miles on parked outside for the birds to shit on and do Costco hauls where it will attract a lot of shopping carts. So I think PPF is a good option compared to my other two garage queens.

dsn112

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
White/red ITS
I don’t know any good PPF installers that charge extra if there isn’t a plotter file available. Seems like these dudes are lazy. It’s already so profitable, what a joke.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Just thought about this one, with the embedded "Integra" under the headlight on the front bumper, I imagine attempting to PPF the front is going to be a fun challenge either requiring to not protect that area, or have individual cutouts for each letter.
Tiny thing, but I regretted not protecting my Golf R when I had it, and wont make the mistake again.
450553A2-1100-40C5-BD7B-4E406CFA147D.jpeg

They just cut around it

MickleNoot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
450553A2-1100-40C5-BD7B-4E406CFA147D.jpeg

They just cut around it
If your installer doesn't have the templates, I'd highly recommend either waiting or finding a new installer. The template very closely contours the letters, is barely visible, and looks much cleaner compared to just cutting out a rectangle.

1000000769.jpg

eculley

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I walk.
If your installer doesn't have the templates, I'd highly recommend either waiting or finding a new installer. The template very closely contours the letters, is barely visible, and looks much cleaner compared to just cutting out a rectangle.

1000000769.jpg
Where'd you go? Might have to check them out.