• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hood fitment issues, panel gaps, wheel defect, paint chip, clear coat issue

TC_Columbus

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 integra Type S
This makes sense... but how do other manufacturers avoid the same pitfalls? My aforementioned 718 had the hologram issues that could easily be attributed to something happening between when it was painted in Zuffenhausen and when it arrived at my dealer in Maryland... but I can honestly say I have yet to see an obvious case of color mismatch on any new Porsche. I just figured after watching the Savagegeese factory walkthrough and seeing the painted bumpers being attached as part of the assembly process (actually I think this was in the CTR review...), that was the main issue.

Ultimately though for me, it doesn't matter too much, as my car (also in PRP) is nearly perfect to my eyes. I tried to look for flaws and found none, even after applying my own DIY coating (I chose AMMO Reflex Pro, original formula because I had some left over from a previous car...). I found maybe two extremely minor imperfections, everything else to me makes me feel like I won the damn lottery with this thing. The only way I'd ever replace it is god forbid something happen to it, or maybe just maybe I'll consider a PMC edition if that becomes applicable to the ITS and I can get one without getting fleeced.

Very interested now in your background; I've spent a fair amount of time watching Larry Kosilla's YouTube (AMMO NYC), and have been fascinated by people who as you say "get their hands on" some of the finest automobiles ever built, and it's their JOB lol. Not a bad way to make a living, for sure, especially considering your colorful car history. I wish I had the level of patience and attention to detail (i.e., talent) that top tier detailers/auto body guys have... I'll be very interested in any detailing tips or tricks you'd be willing to share moving forward, and it helps that we have the same color too.
Some do, and some don't. It can be volume, equipment, raw material suppliers, and a whole slew of other variables. In the lighting we have in our shop, we see color variations all of the time.

Despite the fact that the PMC plant and the main factories are different, I have spent a lot of time in the PMC paint department and am aware of the many challenges they have. They can constantly tweak processes because they have the time, whereas that's simply not happening on the high production floor. It's also why the overall paint quality and clarity from the PMC plant is 30-40% greater (measured...not a subjective evaluation) than the regular production lines. I personally conducted a lot of the training that went on inside the PMC plant for the NSX project, and know the differences well.

On my ITS for example, I used a process that I developed way back for Acura's TLX world debut car for the NY Auto Show. On that out of the factory paint, there's a lot of texture that prevents a high distinctness of image (texture is different from orange peel). I was able to achieve a measured 12% increase in clarity, which is a massive improvement. Anytime you can get above 5% or so is big-time. I remember back on my early C7 Z06, I / we were achieving around 40% using the "TLX process".

bdisco

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘24 ITS, ‘21 Bronco, ‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘88 911
On my car the worst one for me is the gap for the rear bumper and taillights. Passenger side 3/4” driver side 1/4” Can’t unsee it every time I open the rear hatch.
Also the side skirts have a lot of flex. Maybe thats a feature and not a flaw?
I know it’s an Acura not a Lexus but