• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Having several issues with new integra

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
Yeah it won't keep you perfectly centered on its own. Which is why it is defined as an "assist". This car doesn't have enough computing power to do all the micro adjustments like a Tesla. It's enough for me though, especially coming home after a long shift.
I mean really a freaking $35 Raspberry Pi should have the ability to keep you in lane. I work at a copmany that does warehouse robotics and that's what nearly all our robots run on. Its not really a lot of power, its more about just being a smart algorithm, sensor accuracy and enough automated steering control. Following lines on the road is about the EASIEST thing that can be done by robotics the point its like an intro class. Its the accounting for everything else that's the challenge.

OEMjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra, 99 Audi A4
Following lines on the road is about the EASIEST thing that can be done by robotics the point its like an intro class. Its the accounting for everything else that's the challenge.
I agree that it is easy to follow a line in a very controlled environment and if that is all you want to do you are right.

But do you remember when Teslas were running into white trucks on sunny days because it couldn't identify an object due to lack of contrast? And that wasn't even low level, they were scanning environments pixel by pixel in nearly real time through high def cameras with machine learning.

I wouldn't trust a rasberry pi to drive with code that reads similar to if threshold is => x then "do this".

Our brains automate most of our decisions to keep us from going insane, but in reality the amount of computing that goes on in the background while we drive is far greater than a raspberry pi. That's discrediting us good drivers a bit =]

Last edited:

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
I agree that it is easy to follow a line in a very controlled environment and if that is all you want to do you are right.

But do you remember when Teslas were running into white trucks on sunny days because it couldn't identify an object due to lack of contrast? And that wasn't even low level, they were scanning environments pixel by pixel in nearly real time through high def cameras with machine learning.

I wouldn't trust a rasberry pi to drive with code that reads similar to if threshold is => x then "do this".

Our brains automate most of our decisions to keep us from going insane, but in reality the amount of computing that goes on in the background while we drive is far greater than a raspberry pi. That's discrediting us good drivers a bit =]
Those Teslas were not just doing lane keeping though. Lane Keeping just means staying in your lane. It was knowing when to automatically break for traffic they were failing at. That isn't Lane Keeping.

We are talking about Task A and you're talking about Task B. Not the same task.

OEMjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra, 99 Audi A4
Ahh I worded that poorly.

Its the accounting for everything else that's the challenge.
"everything else" is what makes it difficult for pi to work in a driving scenario. If you could pull up the source code of any modern car and compare it to warehouse robots you'd see my point.

Task A and B are more similar than different. They both require object detection to be fast and precise. They also need to be tuned not to immediately lock the brakes or jerk your steering wheel.

They are many ways to code but on a basic level it is cause and effect.
Eg.
Too close to car >> reduce X speed slowly until a threshold is met (brake assist)
too close to lane >> increase Y distance slowly until a threshold is met (lane assist)

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
Yeah it won't keep you perfectly centered on its own. Which is why it is defined as an "assist". This car doesn't have enough computing power to do all the micro adjustments like a Tesla. It's enough for me though, especially coming home after a long shift.
Agreed, that it is an assist, and not perfect.

BUT, 4 years ago we had two new Hondas two compare the Honda Sensing performance. The Accord was noticably better than the RDX. The dealer did a recalibration of the sensors, and it was a noticable improvement. We don't have the Accord any more, but the Integra is newer and better than the RDX. It does move across the lane, but I wouldn't call it excessive.

I suggest the OP check into re-calibrating.