• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Great article about the death of local "speed shops"

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/column-what-ever-happened-speed-shops/

Was just putzing around GRM and came across this article, actually originally written in 2016 but apparently reposted yesterday. Interesting timing because I've kind of been thinking about the "old days" a lot lately for some reason. It's a fun, short read, and for any of us like me that is at least a millennial (Gen X are probably the key demographic for these "golden age" nostalgia discussions), it makes you think.

I bought this car because it's great from the factory. I don't really need to do anything to it for it to deliver on everything I want out of a car, up to and including being fully capable on a race track- but I've completely fallen in love with this car and want to keep it for a long time. As such, I am finding out that I do occasionally get the "itch" to start going down the mod route, but I am incredibly selective about parts I'll consider "upgrading" on this car.

This "selectiveness" is compounded by the fact that I can't think of a place I can just go to and browse inventory, or talk to someone who really knows their shit. Sadly, I actually had this with the last couple of cars I did start to modify; an STI and a 911. I have two amazing local specialty shops in IAG and TPC Racing, respectively for those cars. I've been looking for one for Honda/Acura and coming up short. The best I've found is Derek Robinson from Innovative Motorworks in PA, but looking more deeply into it they are deeply specialized and only do engine tuning. I'm still on my own for installs and parts browsing, or god forbid I want to go down the rabbit hole of suspension tuning.

It would just be great if I could cruise down to a local shop and take a look or even maybe sit in a few seating options, or personally see the colors of a few sets of wheels I'm interested in, or even shit as simple as a shift knob or steering wheel. Maybe talk to someone who's done some work on the platform for multiple people and is familiar with things off the top of their head that would otherwise take me hours of collective research and forum browsing to probably come away with partial or biased data anyway.

Who doesn't miss those days?

Padre Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec, Tech. MT
This Boomer remembers the days of the speed shop. There was one I walked by every week and always stopped to look at the cars. Their clientele were hot rod guys, and I was a sports car guy (kid) so I never found much to drool over.