• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Flared Fenders?

dadcab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Acura RDX PMC, 2017 Acura MDX Advance
Will the production Type S have flared quarter panels or will they be plastic parts attached to the panels? Some of the latest photos it looks like they are plastic add-ons.

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
They’re add ons. New body panels for a niche car would be very expensive
They made new panels for the FL5 CTR, but yeah that's a global car so it will sell a lot more units. The Integra Type S will probably be sold just in Canada and the US.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I'm not convinced they're add-ons--eager to see next weekend when it's unveiled, but the press photos Acura released are focused on the flares and it seems like they fade fully into the body panels. There were some shots taken at the Daytona race as well, and the transitions look pretty seamless as well.

OP
OP
dadcab

dadcab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am thinking they are part of the fender, metal, and not some add-on.

Understeer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
they're stuck on like the Charger. If it was a integrated fender it would look more FL5/M cars. You can even see the cut lines in the creases on the wrapped car.

rflkptr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 FK7 Sonic Grey, '15 Outback Limited
I don't think they're tacked on.

So, we know that the front and rear bumper are molded. The flares blend down to a smooth and level point. Bottom right red circle.

Looking at the meeting point of the top door edge and the quarter panel, it is safe to say that the rear door sheet metal has part of the flare incorporated.

Screenshot_20230404_065544_Reddit.jpg

So (with my reasoning here) when I hear people say the flares are glued on, this below circled area is the only section that would possibly be using adhesive. Honestly that seems unlikely.

Screenshot_20230404_070150_Reddit.jpg

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R

So, we know that the front and rear bumper are molded. The flares blend down to a smooth and level point. Bottom right red circle.

Looking at the meeting point of the top door edge and the quarter panel, it is safe to say that the rear door sheet metal has part of the flare incorporated.

Screenshot_20230404_065544_Reddit.jpg

So (with my reasoning here) when I hear people say the flares are glued on, this below circled area is the only section that would possibly be using adhesive. Honestly that seems unlikely.

Screenshot_20230404_070150_Reddit.jpg
Nice breakdown here--I'm in agreement.

If you look at the FK8, the biggest issues people had after the cooling deficiencies and extra non-functional vents were the fender flares that didn't carry through the rear doors. Honda remedied the bodywork issue with the FL5, and I doubt they'll skimp on the Type-S. Sure it's extra cost, but that can (will) get passed down to us.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!

Are the front fenders formed then?
The CTR fender is pushed out evenly which makes the front headlight look a bit recessed.

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
I’m on the fence. The wrap could potentially be hiding the seems in the body panels. Regardless, molded (preferred) or, add-on, I’m still gonna buy it.

Mike

Understeer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
i'm also buying it ether way but you're dreaming if you think they created whole new stamping for a limited production car for north america. Just look at the rear door fender, clearly a addon.

Last edited:

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
The rear door sheet metal does not have the flare incorporated. It's stuck on. It would be pretty much impossible to stamp a door with such a sharp transition from the main part of the door to the flare portion. You can't see the seams on this car because it's wrapped, but in the teaser images of the unwrapped car you can see the door flare is attached to the door.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Ok so what we're thinking is the fender flare on the door may be an add-on, whereas the flare is integrated into the metal of the fender and bumper?

Rdrcr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (Reserved)
^^^^^
I think several are suggesting that the door and fender feature an add-on (stick-on) flare and that the vinyl wrap is hiding the creases.
I personally believe this is more likely than the alternative.

I’m not sure if anyone is suggesting an add-on flare for the door with a molded fender but, that would be okay too.

Mike

OP
OP
dadcab

dadcab

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Why wouldn't they use the same mold as the CTR? Yes, I know the CTR is made in Japan.