• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Drivetrain vibration / metal rattle sound

ABPDE5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I don’t know if I share your optimism, but if it’s normal I’ll live with it because I love the car. I think mine is louder than usual though. I’ll try to take a video tomorrow when I get the car back.
I'll try to get a video this weekend, too, so you can compare.

I definitely understand your concern (especially if yours is abnormally loud). Originally, I was pretty unnerved by it; it wasn't until I found a couple FK8 vids that confirmed they had the same noise (and that's what people were discussing re: FK8 / FL5) that I was able to relax.

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type Platinum Perlescent White
It's completely normal. I have the exact same sound. It vibrates under certain frequencies. The wastegate arm is a little loose on purpose so it can move freely without damaging the electronic wastegate if it was too stiff it would damage it. It can be annoying. It seems to happen more often when it's really hot outside. Like 93+ degrees. Probably because the metal is expanding due to the outside temperature and the heat from the engine. So in turn it probably makes it vibrate more noticeably. I've never noticed the sound really during the winter. I used to own an FK8 until I traded it in for the DE5.

Probably about the only thing you could do is put an aftermarket wastegate on it but then you'll affect your warranty.

I believe it's from the metal contracting from the heat. As I don't hear all the time only when its super hot here in Florida. I had the same exact experience on my FK8. I will admit it does seem a little more pronounced on the DE5 though. But this car is design a little different and tuned differently. Which could be why.

sfedai0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
01 civic
If this was really an issue, than it would be fixed since this is the same engine since the FK8. Honda probably knows about it but has deemed not worth it financially to redesign it.

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type Platinum Perlescent White
If this was really an issue, than it would be fixed since this is the same engine since the FK8. Honda probably knows about it but has deemed not worth it financially to redesign it.
Well it serves a specific purpose. They did a lot of testing and development with this platform. This is an excellent platform out the box. Very tunable with being able to keep the internals stock. With bolt on and supporting mods you can big hp numbers easily. About the only you might want do is valvetrain work and fuel upgrades. Other than that the engine is pretty damn stout. I believe Honda did an excellent job with this platform form. One thing I wish was different is that I wish they would have kept it speed density without a MAF. I hate MAF setups. And I'm not a big fan of direct injection engines. But over all they did a great job. They pretty strong engines from the factory.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Now that I drove it for 40 miles I can hear exactly what you're all talking about on occasion. At one point when I was doing A slow, wide U turn at the top of our street, it was very loud! RPM's were low & in second gear - windows were down. Hopefully no big deal & part of the same characteristic. When I was driving on our side street, I could hear some metallic sounds bouncing off the wooded area next to me - reminiscent of old, squeaky brakes almost. I thought it was pretty weird, then went away when we got out in the open again. (I live in a heavily wooded area that backs up next to a conservation area - with tooooons of back roads 🤤 sorry, had to throw that in there)

Someone at the dealer however, put 4 miles on it from when I signed on Thursday & filled up my gas tank even though I wrote down for them not to, along with my other demands. I'll likely never know the truth of the matter, but bringing it up to the manager when I go back for some accessory corrections. 😡

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Now that I drove it for 40 miles I can hear exactly what you're all talking about on occasion. At one point when I was doing A slow, wide U turn at the top of our street, it was very loud! RPM's were low & in second gear - windows were down. Hopefully no big deal & part of the same characteristic. When I was driving on our side street, I could hear some metallic sounds bouncing off the wooded area next to me - reminiscent of old, squeaky brakes almost. I thought it was pretty weird, then went away when we got out in the open again. (I live in a heavily wooded area that backs up next to a conservation area - with tooooons of back roads 🤤 sorry, had to throw that in there)

Someone at the dealer however, put 4 miles on it from when I signed on Thursday & filled up my gas tank even though I wrote down for them not to, along with my other demands. I'll likely never know the truth of the matter, but bringing it up to the manager when I go back for some accessory corrections. 😡
I have heard odd metallic clanking on cold starts from the exhaust. Maybe the valve?
Also certain rpms you can hear.the blow-off actuator arm rattle. Though the last 100 or so miles I haven't heard it.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
I have heard odd metallic clanking on cold starts from the exhaust. Maybe the valve?
Also certain rpms you can hear.the blow-off actuator arm rattle. Though the last 100 or so miles I haven't heard it.
Ahhh, ok. Interesting. Hopefully it's just one of those quirky characteristics. I guess we'll find out in time - it was in Sport+ so there could definitely be a possibility of the exhaust valve. Now I'm thinking a rattling heat shield also, since I've heard that on other vehicles in the past.

namoo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-spec 6MT
Ahhh, ok. Interesting. Hopefully it's just one of those quirky characteristics. I guess we'll find out in time - it was in Sport+ so there could definitely be a possibility of the exhaust valve. Now I'm thinking a rattling heat shield also, since I've heard that on other vehicles in the past.
Having owned a '23 6MT A-Spec and now owning an FL5 CTR , i've had this happen in both cars. The sound is like 2 thin metal keys jangling against each other when IN GEAR but OFF THROTTLE. I park in a lot of parking decks, so its definitely annoying to hear cause its extra loud...Having scoured the internet, its most likely the electronic wastegate actuator. I heard its been an issue even in the FK8s, but haven't seen anyone post any solution, so just living with it. Most 'solutions' were get a louder exhaust haha

Integra23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Having owned a '23 6MT A-Spec and now owning an FL5 CTR , i've had this happen in both cars. The sound is like 2 thin metal keys jangling against each other when IN GEAR but OFF THROTTLE. I park in a lot of parking decks, so its definitely annoying to hear cause its extra loud...Having scoured the internet, its most likely the electronic wastegate actuator. I heard its been an issue even in the FK8s, but haven't seen anyone post any solution, so just living with it. Most 'solutions' were get a louder exhaust haha
I found some high temp grease that could help dampen it...

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
So I'm familiar now with the throttle sound thing & that doesn't bother me. I think what I was experiencing from time to time is a small rock trapped in the brakes. But so far so good, hasn't happened in a bit now.

The road to our neighborhood is one of those oil/pebble roads that seal over time 😑 plus I was sometimes driving down to our detached shop which is down a gravel driveway, so now I'm avoiding that unless I need to park it inside.

namoo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-spec 6MT
So I'm familiar now with the throttle sound thing & that doesn't bother me. I think what I was experiencing from time to time is a small rock trapped in the brakes. But so far so good, hasn't happened in a bit now.

The road to our neighborhood is one of those oil/pebble roads that seal over time 😑 plus I was sometimes driving down to our detached shop which is down a gravel driveway, so now I'm avoiding that unless I need to park it inside.
gotcha, yea i was mostly just posting my comment based off some folks in the threads describing the wastegate sound issue. At least its stuck in the brakes...i just installed mesh behind my front wheels cause its just wide open and im scared rocks are going to come out of the wheel well and scratch my doors haha cause the CTRs have the flowthrough :/

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
gotcha, yea i was mostly just posting my comment based off some folks in the threads describing the wastegate sound issue. At least its stuck in the brakes...i just installed mesh behind my front wheels cause its just wide open and im scared rocks are going to come out of the wheel well and scratch my doors haha cause the CTRs have the flowthrough :/
Good point! Do you have the splash guards also? I've been looking at some XXL gloss black diamond mesh from custom car grills to install in front of the intercooler. I haven't even looked in the area you're talking about, but I'm familiar with some CTR owners installing mesh on the backside of their flow through fender area.

namoo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-spec 6MT
Good point! Do you have the splash guards also? I've been looking at some XXL gloss black diamond mesh from custom car grills to install in front of the intercooler. I haven't even looked in the area you're talking about, but I'm familiar with some CTR owners installing mesh on the backside of their flow through fender area.
i've seen some flaps, some dont include mesh for the flow through, some do and are expensive. Others require additional holes to be drilled... but not concerned about it as much, as im getting ppf done on the front, rocker panels, and rear bumper

ApexBlueITS

First Name
De
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura Integra ITS Apex Blue, BMW E39 M5, Audi S4
I hear this metal on metal clanking at speed below 5mph and can be in gear or neutral. I took a video to capture the noise. Anyone else experiencing the same? I recently ran over a small animal while going around a turn at high speed and thought I may have damaged something when I heard this noise.

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Yeah that's not the "wastegate" thing at all. Get under your car and figure that out- better yet, get it into the dealer ASAP.

I'd take a good solid look under the car to make sure it's nothing obvious before I drove it anymore, to me that noise is not normal.