• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Brake hold

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Insight, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Outback
I think brake hold function is useful at long duration stops or when stopped on an incline. Since the car will move upon pressing the gas pedal, are there any drawbacks to using brake hold all the time and not turning it off at all? May be it increases gasoline consumption due to the extra torque needed to move?

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Mazda3 Turbo, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
I don’t think it works how you think it does. The throttle is electronic, so the car knows you want to go and so it’ll then release the brake immediately. OTOH, when the parking brake is on, it does require some effort on the accelerator before it releases if you don’t release it yourself first so that would waste some gas.

There have been a few occasions where I brake most of the way down but just before I come to a full stop I let go a little and the brake hold will take over and complete the full stop with the brakes making a groaning/squeaking sound. Sounds terrible but I don’t think it’s hurting anything.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don’t think it works how you think it does. The throttle is electronic, so the car knows you want to go and so it’ll then release the brake immediately. OTOH, when the parking brake is on, it does require some effort on the accelerator before it releases if you don’t release it yourself first so that would waste some gas.
So based on electronic throttle and intelligent programming, there should be no drawback to using brake hold all the time.

IntegraAgain

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5th Gen 2023 Integra A-Spec 6MT - PWP
So based on electronic throttle and intelligent programming, there should be no drawback to using brake hold all the time.
I just came out of a car that had it as a standard feature (2014 Mazda6, 6MT) and it was handy on inclined stops. Had a 40 degree slope driveway that constantly reminded me the car had that feature, and I was unaware of how to turn it off or disable on that car. If you are expecting it, no downside.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just came out of a car that had it as a standard feature (2014 Mazda6, 6MT) and it was handy on inclined stops. Had a 40 degree slope driveway that constantly reminded me the car had that feature, and I was unaware of how to turn it off or disable on that car. If you are expecting it, no downside.
I test drove a 2022 Mazda3 6 MT two weeks ago but don’t remember if brake hold was a standard feature. Honestly the Mazda3 transmission was much smoother than that of the Integra but it may have been because it was already broken in (200 miles).

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Mazda3 Turbo, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
AFAIK, yes and wish there is a way to have it on by default. I've always turned on brake hold when driving my daily driver (2017 Civic and now 2022 Civic) for the last 5 years and have never had an issue because of it.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think I will end up turning it on the first time I have to stop and then leave it on. I have liked having it while driving in the city.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Si
Yup, no reason not to use it if you like it. The car is just maintaining brake line pressure when you come to a stop, so it's really nothing different than what you are manually doing w/ the brake pedal. In my Si, I've got in the habit of pressing the brake hold and sport buttons as soon as I start up the car. Pretty much do it automatically at this point.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I just wish these features would work without a seatbelt. Also pulling this thing up a car ramp is a PIA without a hand brake.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
I tried using the brake hold button today while stopped at a light on a slight incline and it rolled back a little so clearly I need to read the manual because I have no idea wtf it's supposed to do.
I do notice the hill assist working.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I tried using the brake hold button today while stopped at a light on a slight incline and it rolled back a little so clearly I need to read the manual because I have no idea wtf it's supposed to do.
I have tried it on inclines with no issues. My Integra is a 6MT.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Si
On my '19 there is a brake hold light that activates on the dash when you come to a stop if it is enabled. If it shows as activated on the dash but you roll at all w/ your foot off the brake, that's not normal.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have tried it on inclines with no issues. My Integra is a 6MT.
I think if you lift your leg off the brake quickly, you may experience a slight movement back. If you lift off the brake slowly, it gives sufficient time for the brake hood system to activate.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Speaking of brakes. Does anyone else notice the brake booster priming a few times after start up? Sometimes it’ll just do it once when you lift your foot from the brake pedal the first time. But occasionally it’ll do it multiple times. Just sounds like a motor humming. It’s pretty quiet, hard to hear over the radio. I know the priming is normal on newer cars with electronic boosters. Im just worried about the frequency.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
OK, it was user inexperience aka error and have had success using the Hold now. Thx for y'all input.