• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Brake hold

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Insight, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Outback
I think brake hold function is useful at long duration stops or when stopped on an incline. Since the car will move upon pressing the gas pedal, are there any drawbacks to using brake hold all the time and not turning it off at all? May be it increases gasoline consumption due to the extra torque needed to move?

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Civic Hatch ST, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
I don’t think it works how you think it does. The throttle is electronic, so the car knows you want to go and so it’ll then release the brake immediately. OTOH, when the parking brake is on, it does require some effort on the accelerator before it releases if you don’t release it yourself first so that would waste some gas.

There have been a few occasions where I brake most of the way down but just before I come to a full stop I let go a little and the brake hold will take over and complete the full stop with the brakes making a groaning/squeaking sound. Sounds terrible but I don’t think it’s hurting anything.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don’t think it works how you think it does. The throttle is electronic, so the car knows you want to go and so it’ll then release the brake immediately. OTOH, when the parking brake is on, it does require some effort on the accelerator before it releases if you don’t release it yourself first so that would waste some gas.
So based on electronic throttle and intelligent programming, there should be no drawback to using brake hold all the time.

IntegraAgain

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5th Gen 2023 Integra A-Spec 6MT - PWP
So based on electronic throttle and intelligent programming, there should be no drawback to using brake hold all the time.
I just came out of a car that had it as a standard feature (2014 Mazda6, 6MT) and it was handy on inclined stops. Had a 40 degree slope driveway that constantly reminded me the car had that feature, and I was unaware of how to turn it off or disable on that car. If you are expecting it, no downside.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just came out of a car that had it as a standard feature (2014 Mazda6, 6MT) and it was handy on inclined stops. Had a 40 degree slope driveway that constantly reminded me the car had that feature, and I was unaware of how to turn it off or disable on that car. If you are expecting it, no downside.
I test drove a 2022 Mazda3 6 MT two weeks ago but don’t remember if brake hold was a standard feature. Honestly the Mazda3 transmission was much smoother than that of the Integra but it may have been because it was already broken in (200 miles).

Tony503

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Civic Hatch ST, 13 FR-S, 03 RSX Type S
AFAIK, yes and wish there is a way to have it on by default. I've always turned on brake hold when driving my daily driver (2017 Civic and now 2022 Civic) for the last 5 years and have never had an issue because of it.

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think I will end up turning it on the first time I have to stop and then leave it on. I have liked having it while driving in the city.