• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

6 Speed Manual Transmission fluid service

PandaTeggy24

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Integra A-Spec, '95 Mustang GT, '15 Evo X
Hey everybody, I have an ASpec with tech & a 6MT. I know it likely doesn't need it right now, but I have 13k miles on my car & I plan to keep it as long as I can. I know changing it early won't hurt anything, but I wanted to do it every 15k-20k miles & plugs every 15k-20k miles to avoid the tip of a plug breaking off or trans fluid not lubricating as well as it should due to the temps in traffic.

I work for Honda and can get the MTF & washers for like $12.50 & I can change it myself at home or pay the $50 to have them do it here. The spark plugs I'm going NGK as OEM plugs are the exact same thing but more than twice the price. I'm also checking if anybody has had good experience with a fluid that isn't the Honda MTF, & if so what fluid & how long do you go between services.

Thanks In advance everybody!

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
I've only ever used Amsoil 5W-30 MTF on any of my hondas, but many Honda enthusiasts also swear by GM/Acdelco synchromesh. Those may be of interest.

Last edited:

bisquick

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS, '19 LSM RDX A-Spec
I also recently switched to Amsoil Synchromesh 5w-30 MTF @ 3,000 miles. Engagement seems smoother all around but that could be attributed to new fluid in the trans or placebo.

As stated above, numerous people switch away from the OEM MTF. especially with Type R/Type S. I don't know that there is any real benefit, but I figured I would give it a try.

OP
OP
PandaTeggy24

PandaTeggy24

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks bisquick & ITSDAD! So I checked out the Amsoil Synchromesh and it states that it replaces Honda MTF, but is not meant for use in vehicles with a LSD? Can anyone shine some light on that info?

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
Thanks bisquick & ITSDAD! So I checked out the Amsoil Synchromesh and it states that it replaces Honda MTF, but is not meant for use in vehicles with a LSD? Can anyone shine some light on that info?
Thats specifically warning against using Amsoil in your differential.

Its application is transmission specific, it cannot be used as engine oil, break fluid, differential fluid etc.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I thought the AC Delco stuff was preferred.

OP
OP
PandaTeggy24

PandaTeggy24

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thats specifically warning against using Amsoil in your differential.

Its application is transmission specific, it cannot be used as engine oil, break fluid, differential fluid etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the transmission and LSD all one unit?

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the transmission and LSD all one unit?
Oh shit, i didnt realize that, the only car ive owned with an LSD, until the Type S, was an STI, my apologies for the confusion. Thats interesting tho, as most of the honda guys I know have always sworn by either of the two.

OP
OP
PandaTeggy24

PandaTeggy24

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's strange, because I took that info right off the Amsoil website. I don't like to assume, but I would think the same would apply to the GM stuff too, correct? Thanks in advance, I appreciate the quick responses.

ITSDAD

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 ITS
It's strange, because I took that info right off the Amsoil website. I don't like to assume, but I would think the same would apply to the GM stuff too, correct? Thanks in advance, I appreciate the quick responses.
So the only answer I was able to find via google search, is that its safe for use with transaxle applications (fwd/helical lsd), but not for use with clutch based differentials.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
So the only answer I was able to find via google search, is that its safe for use with transaxle applications (fwd/helical lsd), but not for use with clutch based differentials.
Mechanical LSD FTW

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Amsoil definitely good but GM holds up to repeated heat cycles better. So running hard or track sessions more so, & scorching climates

Same with brake fluid - I'm using Motul 600 now but Castrol is the best for heat with better longevity just like comparing the two above

bvanlieu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 White ITS, 2015 Cayman GTS
I'm all for being proactive as many fluid drain intervals are far too long (usually post warranty to make running cost look lower) but 1y/13k is akin to changing the synthetic oil after 2K of street miles :)

Keep it in there for a few years/30K.

I'd grab some OEM MTL: its cheap and it works really well. Honda always has had good MTL.

For cars that were notchier, I have had good luck in the past with Redline fluids but my hondas did't run any different then with honda MTL compared to redline from my experience.

Wolfnman2000

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S Performance Red Pearl
I got my ITS 30 March.

I did both first oil change and MTF at just under 1k. I believe in the old fashioned idea of break in periods and break in oil changes to drain out the metal debris created during the break in mating process of parts. I installed magnetic drain plugs in both while I was at it. I'll do another oil drain at 3k and then again at 5k when I'll thereafter. I'll do 15k MTF changes.

I say that to say this, it's your expensive purchase. Oil is cheap. Engines and transmissions are not. So I'm 100% with you on taking good care of your nice things.

To answer your question, I went with Amsoil in both fluid cases. Amsoil Synchomesh for the tranny and Amsoil OE 0w20 for the first two changes. I'll switch to 5w30 at 5k for my OCIs there after.

Some call frequent changes a waste of money, but over the life of the car, how much is saved vs risk and hassle of poor engine performance, hassle, and engine life?

Amsoil OE 0W20 5.7qt = $39.62
Puralator Boss Oil Filter = $12.74
Drain plug washer = $1?
Total = $53.36
Every 5k miles. I drive about 10k per year and change my own oil. So $106 per year. So in 10 years and 100k miles, I'll spend a grand total of $1060 on oil changes plus the two break in changes so $1220 in my first 10 years of ownership.

Amsoil MTF Synchomesh 2.3qt = $36.32
Drain/Fill/Check plug washers = $3?
Total = $39.32
Every 15k miles. So not even once a year. But in 10 years at 105000 miles I'll have done 5 changes. Grand total of $200 over 10 years plus the one break in changes so $240 in 10 years

So for me the math, not counting the break in changes, will save about $63 per year, ~$5 month, by doubling those intervals on a $60k car and risking build up, damage, and issues like mechanics report on 10k oil changes with these engines or I be a big baller and "waste" an extra $5 a month.

Anyone paying $30k-$40k for an Aspec or $60k+ for an ITS being worried about $5/month should just skip one Starbucks coffee per month and change the fluids. 😂 I can't imagine anyone able to afford a $60k car is too worried about $5/month. That's less than a Netflix subscription. 😂

Last edited: