• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Steering wheel creak

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Apologies if there is another thread regarding this topic; I thought I saw one in the past, but couldn't find anything in my search.

We are now 5600 miles and 11 months into the ownership of my 23 Aspec Tech Integra. In the beginning, we had battled through a litany of electrical gremlins related to parking sensors, got into a public fued with a dealer, been in contact with Honda of America, and had a relatively benign 8 months thereafter involving a measly oil change last month.

Fast forward to yesterday when I begin to hear what sounds like keys rattling in the ignition while driving. This is odd, considering this is a push to start car. After paying attention to any inputs I am giving and any sounds the car is making with these inputs, I first notice my clutch pedal creaks (I can get over this but I'll likely include it in my complaints when I go to the dealer). Next I notice, when turning the steering wheel I can replicate the sound and it is closer to that of the sound of a spring binding while being twisted. Knowing that there is a clock spring in the steering mechanism, I believe this to be my culprit.

My question to you all is: has anybody else experienced this? Was the repair straightforward? If so, did the dealer reinstall the steering wheel correctly without it being offset slightly to the left/right? This last part is my biggest concern with taking the car in. Even one spline off will create an off center steering wheel.

I'll be contacting my dealer next week to book an appointment and post back with any updates.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
Strange. I had 20k miles on my Aspec and the only rattle was from the trunk latch that the dealer fixed.

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Acura RL Tech; 2024 Integra ASpec Tech
Apologies if there is another thread regarding this topic; I thought I saw one in the past, but couldn't find anything in my search.

We are now 5600 miles and 11 months into the ownership of my 23 Aspec Tech Integra. In the beginning, we had battled through a litany of electrical gremlins related to parking sensors, got into a public fued with a dealer, been in contact with Honda of America, and had a relatively benign 8 months thereafter involving a measly oil change last month.

Fast forward to yesterday when I begin to hear what sounds like keys rattling in the ignition while driving. This is odd, considering this is a push to start car. After paying attention to any inputs I am giving and any sounds the car is making with these inputs, I first notice my clutch pedal creaks (I can get over this but I'll likely include it in my complaints when I go to the dealer). Next I notice, when turning the steering wheel I can replicate the sound and it is closer to that of the sound of a spring binding while being twisted. Knowing that there is a clock spring in the steering mechanism, I believe this to be my culprit.

My question to you all is: has anybody else experienced this? Was the repair straightforward? If so, did the dealer reinstall the steering wheel correctly without it being offset slightly to the left/right? This last part is my biggest concern with taking the car in. Even one spline off will create an off center steering wheel.

I'll be contacting my dealer next week to book an appointment and post back with any updates.
I believe I do hear a slight clicking/ticking sound when turning the steering wheel. Took the delivery of the car today. It doesn't happen when stationary and I wiggle the steering wheel, happens when I drive and make a turn on the road or parking lot. I believe this could be a clock spring as you mentioned. Since I just got the car, I haven't looked into it yet after driving home.

I test drove 5 vehicles and none of them had this clicking/ticking sound but they had other issue. As a matter of fact, the one I put a $1000 deposit on, had an off-center steering wheel, which dealer couldn't fix even after doing an alignment.

OP
OP

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I believe I do hear a slight clicking/ticking sound when turning the steering wheel. Took the delivery of the car today. It doesn't happen when stationary and I wiggle the steering wheel, happens when I drive and make a turn on the road or parking lot. I believe this could be a clock spring as you mentioned. Since I just got the car, I haven't looked into it yet after driving home.

I test drove 5 vehicles and none of them had this clicking/ticking sound but they had other issue. As a matter of fact, the one I put a $1000 deposit on, had an off-center steering wheel, which dealer couldn't fix even after doing an alignment.

You completely described the same exact thing.

AIntegraJ24

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec w/ Tech

What was the update on this? I’ve had mine since Sept 23 and my steering wheel has started making the same sound.

OP
OP

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
What was the update on this? I’ve had mine since Sept 23 and my steering wheel has started making the same sound.
It was never consistent enough to force a dealer trip. Temperatures dropped and it no longer makes the noise. The noise disappearing with the temperature drop makes sense since I would only hear it when ambient temperatures were 90+.

If there's an update, it will likely come 6-7 months from now once we're back in the height of summer heat. Or something will happen before then. Who knows?