• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Seeking advice on Integra (rev-matching & view)

Lekna

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TSX
Looking for advice and hoping someone can help. Quick background - I have a '05 TSX 6M and love it. 200K+ miles on the original clutch. I thought the Integra would be my next car. I test drove it yesterday. I really wanted to love it but had two issues that bugged me. I may just need to get used to them, but hoped for some advice.

1. The view out the windshield of my TSX is the road. From the Integra, it includes A LOT of the hood. Is this just design, is it common, or am I just too used to what I have now?

2. The 6M auto rev-matching made me feel I was cheating. Related to that, can someone explain why the rev-matching seemed to reduce engine braking capability (downshifting when coming to a stop). Or did I imagine that? I would think after initial clutch release it would have no impact, but it seemed like it did. I needed to rely on my brakes more than I expected.

Thanks if anyone has any thoughts to share on these things. Otherwise it seems like a great car.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
I can only speak to the hood/view.

This is increasingly more common on modern cars (partially safety regulations) but it's also a design trend especially for honda/acura going back to long flat hoods that give a more dramatic dash to axel ratio and sporty cab rearward shape. The new civic also shows a decent amount of the hood when behind the wheel (compared to the my 10th gen which shows basically none), as does the accord, and most likely the new HRV, CRV, Pilot etc will also have this pronounced and flat hood design.

Outwardly this long low hood helps give the front of the car a dramatic proportion and sporty appearance, however it does mean you can see the hood, but as someone who's driven cars where you can and can't see the hood, it's something you get used to and can help make it a bit easier to estimate where your nose is when pulling up to a high curb, which is a plus in my book.

I haven't sat in a new integra yet, but given the view of the hood in the new civic, and acura's even more pronounced nose, I can imagine it is very visible, but just one of those things you have to get used to in a new vehicle.

Decks515

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-spec 6mt
For the first issue, it is common with cars that have a hood which has a steeper rake/angle down to not see as much of it. Personally I prefer to see as close to the front of the hood in the bottom of the windshield as I can. It lets me judge spacing a bit better for parking. As an example my camaro has minimal view of the hood, but my former silverado, Accord, and civic all had a fair amount of hood visible in front.

For the 2nd, engine braking is dependent on the engine and amount of back-pressure it has with no fuel. Typically a smaller displacement engine will have less back-pressure and less of a braking effect. There is also friction from the clutch if it's not perfectly rev-matched, but that should be minimal as long as it's close.

Personally I enjoyed the automatic rev match in my test drive, but it can be turned off. I also prefer to use my brakes more than transmission and engine braking. While it is designed to handle it to a degree, it does put wear on the transmission, and brake pads are much cheaper than transmissions

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
So I agree with Robb about the first concern. It is something you can get used to. And I see it as a plus too. BUT, visibility out of the car is very important for driver satisfaction. If you don't like it, keep test driving and see if it is worth the trade off. I bet there would be less in a GTI.
For the second, I do NOT get much engine braking driving my Integra. I think rev-matching and rev-hang are both things that impact this. But also, this is just a 1.5, so not all that torquey. I would manual shift my 2.3 turbo slushbox for engine braking, and my 3.0 six with a manual has solid engine braking and a very light flywheel.
Getting used to the Integra, I am still experimenting with different drive modes, so I haven't played with removing the rev-matching. I don't think it will make a big difference with your concern. I think engine braking saves on brake pads and is not hard on the transmission, but I'm not an engineer. This change is something I'm getting used to in the car, and I'm okay, while not in love with it.
Great questions! I hope this helps.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
Agree, my 1.8L NA 2zzge engined Toyota has a lot more noticeable engine braking.
At first I had the Rev-Match turned off but wasn't confident that I was doing a great job myself. Partially due to this drivetrain being so muted along with possibly my inexperience with a turbo car. So, it's back on and I'm enjoying it more. Maybe in time I'll turn it back off but I've never really been a heal-toe master.

Last edited:

Decks515

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think engine braking saves on brake pads and is not hard on the transmission, but I'm not an engineer
Not to say the wear from engine braking is particularly significant, but it is something to be aware.

They mention using engine braking in the manual a few times. I strongly believe they engineered the transmissions with some amount of engine braking in mind, the same way they use more robust starters to handle the wear from an automatic start/stop system. Unless you are aggressively downshifting to slow down, the wear should be fairly minimal.

I do use some engine braking, but prefer to direct most of that stress and wear to the parts that are easier and cheaper to replace.

clayish

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Majestic Black Integra
Yea so the Hood view is a plus definitely. in my books.
Also let down by the engine breaking a bit but thats fine can use breaks too.

IntegraAgain

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5th Gen 2023 Integra A-Spec 6MT - PWP
I had not been paying much attention to the windshield hood view in my new Integra until this thread. I purposefully observed it driving this afternoon/evening, and I can barely see the hood. I wonder how high some of you have your driver's seat, hahaha. At 5'11" I'm not dumped on the floor in my seat, but I had to crane my neck to see more than just a glimpse of the hood.

Also realized that I had been unintentionally engine braking after disabling Rev Match (it stayed off thru several stops and restarts tonight!?), so I too am using my brakes more to slow the car at lights now.

OP
OP

Lekna

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TSX
Thanks to everyone for sharing thoughts and advice! It sounds as though I will need to "get used to it." Not that "it" is bad - either the hood view or the engine braking. They are just not what I am used to so they felt uncomfortable. Great advice and insights (and therapy?) from everyone here, so thank you!

Separately, for what it is worth, my experience is engine braking is likely not very impactful to clutch life. I base that not on engineering, but some (admittedly limited) personal experience. Engine braking has to have some impact, but I have relied heavily on it in my TSX which is on its original clutch (>200K mixed driving miles). I also wonder whether the rev-match feature will actually increase clutch life by permitting a more rapid pedal release.

Decks515

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Separately, for what it is worth, my experience is engine braking is likely not very impactful to clutch life. I base that not on engineering, but some (admittedly limited) personal experience. Engine braking has to have some impact, but I have relied heavily on it in my TSX which is on its original clutch (>200K mixed driving miles). I also wonder whether the rev-match feature will actually increase clutch life by permitting a more rapid pedal release.
Engine braking itself shouldn't affect clutch life. Also, I agree that the rev-match should help greatly with clutch life. Partly because you don't need to engage the clutch as much, and because if the engine and transmission are closely matched in rev/speed it puts less friction on the clutch while it is engaged.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Si
It's been a while since I've driven w/o a tune, but as far as engine braking goes, on the stock tune, the throttle doesn't close completely when you let off. I think it's kept at like 5% or something around there for emissions reasons. On my tune, the throttle is allowed to close to 1%, and I feel like there is a significant amount of engine braking when downshifting.