• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
In Canada the RS3 would be over 20k more than the ITS
Yeah, the RS3 is great. If I wasn't making a manual a priority the RS3 would probably be what I ended up with, primarily based on how much I loved the S3.

I really kind of wish they still made the B8 RS4... but even that still wouldn't match the ITS' inputs. Although at least from what I remember from test driving a manual S4 with the 4.2, the shifter was pretty decent.

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 RS3, 2023 Type R
In Canada the RS3 would be over 20k more than the ITS
In the US it should be ~$9K USD more than the ITS, or maybe ~$15K with an average spec. But since dealers are marking up the ITS $5K+, the price becomes a lot closer. The reality is most dealers here want you to spend about $60K for a CTR or ITS, which is way too close to the RS3. I do expect this to change eventually for the ITS though! And I know some Acura dealers are still committed to MSRP (though none here in Oregon).

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
If only RS3 was the same size with a hatch..

OP
OP

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
If someone told me Porsche designed a hot hatch, I'd believe it based on the driving dynamics of this car.
Funny you should say that... the owner of Acura Columbus was in yesterday, specifically drove up from Cincinnati in one of his two 911's to test drive the ITS, and he came in grinning from ear to ear insisting that "you could slap a Porsche badge on that thing and I wouldn't know the difference."

I didn't think much of it since I was sitting there negotiating the purchase of mine, but just putting it out there.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
If only RS3 was the same size with a hatch..
And a stick shift :) I got an 8 year old kid and she's already pretty much outgrown the back seat, and good luck getting much of anything in that trunk between the small size and the awkward entry angle.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
And a stick shift :) I got an 8 year old kid and she's already pretty much outgrown the back seat, and good luck getting much of anything in that trunk between the small size and the awkward entry angle.
Lol. Forgot to mention the obvious

firstcar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Test drove the local ITS demo twice. The first drive was somewhat spirited. The second drive was far more intense; I pushed the car pretty hard. I performed both drives before reading or watching a single review, and my thoughts below represent my impressions at the time.

First impressions after the first drive - I loved it. Extremely impressed by how they refined the CTR without compromising the fun factor. The shifter is fabulous, with short and direct throws. I immediately noticed the additional midrange power. Nice and punchy delivery in the 2-4k range. The exhaust note is better than the CTR; both smoother and more "performance-y". Steering is very direct, though with an unremarkable amount of feedback. The car eagerly dives into tight corners; the car remained neutral, and nothing about it gave away the FWD orientation. The suspension was compliant and refined, while still clearly tuned to allow for speedy and confident cornering. The salesman allowed me a relatively short route and wanted me to drive conservatively, so it wasn't the most informative experience, but I did get that "sold in 100 feet" feeling and was ready to place my order.

When we got back, a friend arrived who set up his own test drive experience with another salesman. I tagged along with him. This salesperson was far more accommodating about the length and intensity of the drive. When I realized this, I requested a second drive with him so that I could truly put the car through its paces. My turn came up, and I got behind the wheel.

Updated impressions. OK, this is definitely still an FWD car. Aggressive shifts and acceleration at lower speeds yielded meaningful wheel hop and some torque steer. Pushing much harder through corners, the softer ITS setup showed in the car leaning not insignificantly from side to side. Maybe a little understeer when really going for it? I'll probably take it out again to confirm.

On return, I was still quite impressed by the car - the combo of performance, practicality, and price is quite compelling. To confirm my thoughts, I took my car out on the same extended test drive route.

The car I brought was the 2023 BMW M2 with manual transmission. The delta between the two cars when really pushing is quite large. The M2 is simply in another class in power. They're closer in handling, but the M2 absolutely will go around a corner faster and in a more interesting way. I didn't get to really test the brakes on the ITS, but the M2 will repeatedly do 140-40 over and over without fading and with complete confidence. The M2 shifter is not as good as the ITS one, but it's not bad, either. I'd say 3.9 stars for the M2 one and 4.8 stars for the ITS one. The ITS definitely felt lighter - it is - but the M2 didn't feel like it drove "heavy" in comparison. It's just as eager as the ITS to dart into a corner or change direction.

I was thankful for the second ITS drive and the immediate back-to-back G87 M2 drive, as I would've been disappointed by how the ITS experience falls off a bit when driving it really hard. In isolation and at more normal speeds, I think the ITS is sensational - perfect fun daily driver. However, I would never pay over MSRP for one as it's already too close to the M2's price for what it is. After having now consumed a bunch of reviews of both cars, I am perplexed by the mixed reviews on the M2 (in the context of excellent reviews for the ITS). The M2 offers a ridiculous driving experience for only the $10k upcharge. I came away feeling that the M2 should probably cost $20-25k more.

I still think the ITS is a great buy - at MSRP. If money is a consideration and everything could be had at MSRP, I'd definitely take a $44k CTR over a $52k ITS. 10 out of 10 times. However, in the real world of ADM, an ITS at MSRP is definitely the right choice over a CTR at ADM. If you need backseats and 2 extra doors, these are your choices. If not and you like to drive really hard from time to time, I don't see how you don't spend the extra $10k or so on the M2. It's simply way more capable hardware.

IMG_2415.jpg

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Test drove the local ITS demo twice. The first drive was somewhat spirited. The second drive was far more intense; I pushed the car pretty hard. I performed both drives before reading or watching a single review, and my thoughts below represent my impressions at the time.

First impressions after the first drive - I loved it. Extremely impressed by how they refined the CTR without compromising the fun factor. The shifter is fabulous, with short and direct throws. I immediately noticed the additional midrange power. Nice and punchy delivery in the 2-4k range. The exhaust note is better than the CTR; both smoother and more "performance-y". Steering is very direct, though with an unremarkable amount of feedback. The car eagerly dives into tight corners; the car remained neutral, and nothing about it gave away the FWD orientation. The suspension was compliant and refined, while still clearly tuned to allow for speedy and confident cornering. The salesman allowed me a relatively short route and wanted me to drive conservatively, so it wasn't the most informative experience, but I did get that "sold in 100 feet" feeling and was ready to place my order.

When we got back, a friend arrived who set up his own test drive experience with another salesman. I tagged along with him. This salesperson was far more accommodating about the length and intensity of the drive. When I realized this, I requested a second drive with him so that I could truly put the car through its paces. My turn came up, and I got behind the wheel.

Updated impressions. OK, this is definitely still an FWD car. Aggressive shifts and acceleration at lower speeds yielded meaningful wheel hop and some torque steer. Pushing much harder through corners, the softer ITS setup showed in the car leaning not insignificantly from side to side. Maybe a little understeer when really going for it? I'll probably take it out again to confirm.

On return, I was still quite impressed by the car - the combo of performance, practicality, and price is quite compelling. To confirm my thoughts, I took my car out on the same extended test drive route.

The car I brought was the 2023 BMW M2 with manual transmission. The delta between the two cars when really pushing is quite large. The M2 is simply in another class in power. They're closer in handling, but the M2 absolutely will go around a corner faster and in a more interesting way. I didn't get to really test the brakes on the ITS, but the M2 will repeatedly do 140-40 over and over without fading and with complete confidence. The M2 shifter is not as good as the ITS one, but it's not bad, either. I'd say 3.9 stars for the M2 one and 4.8 stars for the ITS one. The ITS definitely felt lighter - it is - but the M2 didn't feel like it drove "heavy" in comparison. It's just as eager as the ITS to dart into a corner or change direction.

I was thankful for the second ITS drive and the immediate back-to-back G87 M2 drive, as I would've been disappointed by how the ITS experience falls off a bit when driving it really hard. In isolation and at more normal speeds, I think the ITS is sensational - perfect fun daily driver. However, I would never pay over MSRP for one as it's already too close to the M2's price for what it is. After having now consumed a bunch of reviews of both cars, I am perplexed by the mixed reviews on the M2 (in the context of excellent reviews for the ITS). The M2 offers a ridiculous driving experience for only the $10k upcharge. I came away feeling that the M2 should probably cost $20-25k more.

I still think the ITS is a great buy - at MSRP. If money is a consideration and everything could be had at MSRP, I'd definitely take a $44k CTR over a $52k ITS. 10 out of 10 times. However, in the real world of ADM, an ITS at MSRP is definitely the right choice over a CTR at ADM. If you need backseats and 2 extra doors, these are your choices. If not and you like to drive really hard from time to time, I don't see how you don't spend the extra $10k or so on the M2. It's simply way more capable hardware.

IMG_2415.jpg
Good write up, and great for folks cross-shopping the M2. I wanted to like the G87, I really really did... but the sloppy manual is just unacceptable at this point, after Toyota proved it could be done. I'd still definitely be driving one to make sure... if it had rear doors.

ITS is a no-brainer for me, but if you don't need the extra doors this post is a great reference point.

Also worth mentioning- I'm no longer interested in the CTR, even at MSRP. That said, I won't be paying an ADM for an ITS.

Also also worth mentioning- I think the G87's biggest problem is the F87 is still a great car.

firstcar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
Good write up, and great for folks cross-shopping the M2. I wanted to like the G87, I really really did... but the sloppy manual is just unacceptable at this point, after Toyota proved it could be done. I'd still definitely be driving one to make sure... if it had rear doors.

ITS is a no-brainer for me, but if you don't need the extra doors this post is a great reference point.

Also worth mentioning- I'm no longer interested in the CTR, even at MSRP. That said, I won't be paying an ADM for an ITS.

Also also worth mentioning- I think the G87's biggest problem is the F87 is still a great car.
I definitely can see the ITS being the perfect "Goldilocks" choice for lots of people, especially with the CTR ADM situation. I'm here because the experience made an impression and I'm still very much interested.

Agreed that the F87 appears to be casting a shadow over the G87. That shouldn't be the case, though - the G87 is a comprehensive upgrade over the old car in almost every objectively measurable way other than weight.

grahm

First Name
Grahm
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 RS3, 2023 Type R

IMG_2415.jpg
I recognize that dealership! Pretty sure we drove the same car, hah. I was actually surprised at the wheel hop — that's something that bugs me about my Elantra N and I sorta assumed that somehow the magical engineers at Honda engineered that out. But definitely present on my drive.

And yeah, even though I'm going RS3 over M2 (I need four doors), I think the ITS with markup just gets way too close to the M2, RS3, IS500, and CT4V Blackwing. Even without markup it's pushing it. Yet I could still see myself getting one eventually — just for the rare combination of (almost) the practicality of an SUV + engaging driving experience + manual transmission. But if the CTR and GR Corolla prices ever come down to earth, I'm not sure what I'd do.

firstcar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
I recognize that dealership! Pretty sure we drove the same car, hah. I was actually surprised at the wheel hop — that's something that bugs me about my Elantra N and I sorta assumed that somehow the magical engineers at Honda engineered that out. But definitely present on my drive.

And yeah, even though I'm going RS3 over M2 (I need four doors), I think the ITS with markup just gets way too close to the M2, RS3, IS500, and CT4V Blackwing. Even without markup it's pushing it. Yet I could still see myself getting one eventually — just for the rare combination of (almost) the practicality of an SUV + engaging driving experience + manual transmission. But if the CTR and GR Corolla prices ever come down to earth, I'm not sure what I'd do.
Nice - I'm sure we drove the same car. ;)

The ITS really hit the nail on the head for anyone who wants a truly fun and serious driver's car and needs the practicality, but has a somewhat limited budget. Unfortunately, my use case doesn't call for anything more than 2 doors and good trunk space, so spending $52k on an FWD liftback sedan doesn't make sense. At $44k, though, I'd spring for it.

And frankly, there are elements of the CTR that I like better - the aggressive fenders, the wing, the red bucket seats, the Championship White option, the Type R branding, the firmer suspension, the bigger hatch, the nostalgia factor (my first car was a Civic).

Sphinx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Miata
Crossposting from my post on Bimmerpost

I just test drove the Integra Type S. Some initial impressions after testing driving the G87 and owning my F87 OG. I'm not a pro so don't roast me and this was a relatively brief test drive.

This is taken from the perspective of a year round DD.

Steering feel: Best in the Integra. Weight definitely does a make big difference. There was less on center play vs my M2 which is already fairly taught. Steering weights up really well and the steering rack has a good steering speed.

Shifter/Trans feel: Definitely better than both M2s. That said, I don't think it's as much of a difference as outlets play on. I'd say it's roughly 20% better if I had to assign a number to it. Was very easy to get into and drive. Auto Rev match did not feel as "exciting" and quick as either M2 though. Clutch feel was good but not infinitely better than either M2 either IMO. Definitely much shorter travel. I will say there was more rev hang than I expected.

Power: I didn't redline this or push it very hard, but has tons of torque in the mid-range. This is more than enough for public roads. I didn't experience any torque steer but was also not punching this off the line.

General driving: Integra feels extremely planted. The M2's definitely float a bit, this feels like it stuck to the ground better. I didn't take any extremely quick corners but the quicker corners I did take I did not notice any understeer, it was very neutral. I think you would really need to hamfist the car to induce significant understeer on public roads. Turn in actually feels sharper than my M2. Not as good as the new M2 but in general it's very good. Suspension is good, not on par with new M2 with the adaptive dampers but better than F87 I would say. I would need more time with the car to really get into specifics though.

Sound: This is where the f87 really shines. The Integra sounds decent, some pops/bangs when you warm it up, but it has absolutely nothing on the N55. S58 sounds significantly better than the Type S but the N55 is far better than both IMO. I expected this coming into a 4cyl platform but it was a bigger difference than expected when I got back in my car.

Interior: Very useable but a massive step down from the G87. You really feel a large difference here and the tech is on a different level on the new M2. It's generally on the same level as the F87 I would say. No gimics though and the sound system is far better than both of the Harmon Kardon units. The hatch is extremely usable and it has usable back seats. This isn't a huge concern for me but it's a big plus for most vs the M2s. Seats are pretty good and the alcantara add on felt great.

Looks: I'm a huge fan of the styling. Looks far, far better than the new M2 (don't kill me) and I would say it's on par with my F87. Looks aggressive enough but isn't boy racer like the Fk8.

In general I think this car is a lot of fun as a DD and I don't think I would miss my F87 and it certainly has more "feel" than the G87. I get why Mark from SG would comment that the new M2 is too isolated/dull after driving the Type S. That said, the G87 is far better as a luxury car. Many will dismiss this for being a 4cyl fwd car but I implore you to take a spin.

I'm likely pivoting from the new M2 and going to pick one of these if I can find for for MSRP (probably need to wait/shop around) and spend the savings on an E46 or E36. I will definitely miss the sound of the F87 so I am also considering just sticking with my F87 for the time being as well. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss my M badge.

Apologies for the ramblings.
This is very helpful. I had given up on the ITS after the pricing came out. And I started looking at F87 M2 Comps and CSs instead. For 50, you can get the F87 or the ITS. The G87 is of no interest to me given the numb steering and brakes. So, your perspective is actually helpful.

Again, if I come across the right deal on a F87 CS, I'll get that over the ITS, which isn't a fair comparison.

Honestly, till I started seeing these reviews - especially the savagegeese dyno results - I'm thinking it might deserve part of the price premium over the CTR.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I definitely can see the ITS being the perfect "Goldilocks" choice for lots of people, especially with the CTR ADM situation. I'm here because the experience made an impression and I'm still very much interested.

Agreed that the F87 appears to be casting a shadow over the G87. That shouldn't be the case, though - the G87 is a comprehensive upgrade over the old car in almost every objectively measurable way other than weight.
The problem with both the F87 and G87 is that they're German muscle cars. For simplicity's sake, what I mean by that is that the character of the cars and how they engage with the driver is more about brute force than delicate balance. If you like that kind of thing, you can deal with the "numb" inputs, because cars like the CTR and ITS can't match the sliding around, power oversteer stuff people like to do in those cars.

As much fun as I had sliding around on wet pavement at the BMW Performance Center when I went a couple years ago, I'm just not about that type of driving. At all, ever. I'll never get sideways on the street, I'll never take a car I drive every day to a drift event, and I'll never drive that irresponsibly at a "normal" track event like an HPDE. It's just not the experience I prefer from a driver's car.

So for me, that's why I've been able to justify the Porsches (especially the mid-engine cars). You almost can't make a mid-engine Porsche go sideways, by design, and that's fine with me. I appreciate the attention placed on precision, and as a byproduct the emphasis placed on inputs. As I mentioned earlier, that's what really stood out to me, is the ITS comes closer than I thought could be possible to matching what I've come to expect out of Porsche- at a $50k price point. Which I'll mention again is significantly less than half the MSRP of my 718, so the ITS to me is a steal and I'm thrilled that it exists. (I still won't be paying markup out of sheer principal... but I feel that others in my situation might not give a shit and just pay it to have one immediately. I know at least one person with an SF90 that did just that for a CTR...)

Back to the G87 vs the F87, is that while the G87 is an objectively better performing car, it took a step backwards from a driver engagement perspective. It's one of those "intangibles" arguments that reminds me a bit of when the 718 was first revealed and it had a *gasp* 4 cylinder. Objectively better engine, by a significant margin over the flat 6 in the 981... but most Porsche people railed against it because it changed the character of the car. Not apples to apples but relevant IMO.

I won't get too much into styling because that's subjective and supremely polarized for this car in particular- but it's a similar story. Generally, people tended to really like the design of the F87. The G87 is a step backwards for let's just say most people, including myself. I kind of like the G87, but not as much as the F87.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is very helpful. I had given up on the ITS after the pricing came out. And I started looking at F87 M2 Comps and CSs instead. For 50, you can get the F87 or the ITS. The G87 is of no interest to me given the numb steering and brakes. So, your perspective is actually helpful.

Again, if I come across the right deal on a F87 CS, I'll get that over the ITS, which isn't a fair comparison.

Honestly, till I started seeing these reviews - especially the savagegeese dyno results - I'm thinking it might deserve part of the price premium over the CTR.
I'd give up on the CS. It's an absolutely fantastic car, but I don't feel like they will ever come back down to reality, and IMO just not worth it at the ~$100k price point when you can get a comp for almost half that (and a GTS 4.0 or Emira for the same cost). Talk about a car for fanboys, that's the CS. Good news if you already have one, terrible news if you're in the market.

firstcar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW
The problem with both the F87 and G87 is that they're German muscle cars. For simplicity's sake, what I mean by that is that the character of the cars and how they engage with the driver is more about brute force than delicate balance. If you like that kind of thing, you can deal with the "numb" inputs, because cars like the CTR and ITS can't match the sliding around, power oversteer stuff people like to do in those cars.

As much fun as I had sliding around on wet pavement at the BMW Performance Center when I went a couple years ago, I'm just not about that type of driving. At all, ever. I'll never get sideways on the street, I'll never take a car I drive every day to a drift event, and I'll never drive that irresponsibly at a "normal" track event like an HPDE. It's just not the experience I prefer from a driver's car.

So for me, that's why I've been able to justify the Porsches (especially the mid-engine cars). You almost can't make a mid-engine Porsche go sideways, by design, and that's fine with me. I appreciate the attention placed on precision, and as a byproduct the emphasis placed on inputs. As I mentioned earlier, that's what really stood out to me, is the ITS comes closer than I thought could be possible to matching what I've come to expect out of Porsche- at a $50k price point. Which I'll mention again is significantly less than half the MSRP of my 718, so the ITS to me is a steal and I'm thrilled that it exists. (I still won't be paying markup out of sheer principal... but I feel that others in my situation might not give a shit and just pay it to have one immediately. I know at least one person with an SF90 that did just that for a CTR...)

Back to the G87 vs the F87, is that while the G87 is an objectively better performing car, it took a step backwards from a driver engagement perspective. It's one of those "intangibles" arguments that reminds me a bit of when the 718 was first revealed and it had a *gasp* 4 cylinder. Objectively better engine, by a significant margin over the flat 6 in the 981... but most Porsche people railed against it because it changed the character of the car. Not apples to apples but relevant IMO.

I won't get too much into styling because that's subjective and supremely polarized for this car in particular- but it's a similar story. Generally, people tended to really like the design of the F87. The G87 is a step backwards for let's just say most people, including myself. I kind of like the G87, but not as much as the F87.
The F87 and G87 are different cars. The G87 brings a level of composure, precision, and linearity of power delivery not present in the F87. I wouldn’t call it a muscle car, though it is quite powerful for its class. It is this new “composure” that some F87 vets are calling “lack of engagement”. I’ve owned an F87 Competition and, after lots of miles in the G87, don’t agree with that.

And, driving them back to back, I struggle to find anything about the subjective elements of the driving experience that the ITS does better for me other than shifter feel (steering feel is similarly numb). Have you had a chance to drive a G87?