• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone mount

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
i still haven't found a great solution and keep wanting to use my RAM X-grip. having the phone in the charging tray is not convenient as i do occasionally have to access my phone.

I temporarily put a RAM mount 1-inch ball plate on the side of the center console to the right of the charging tray using some 3M VHB double-sided adhesive tape. i then mounted a long RAM arm and a short arm via a connector piece to ultimately mount my X-grip phone mount that i added a charging plate. i needed the extra length on the mount otherwise it gets in the way of shifting. the solution looked good until i found the mounting plate came off the adhesive a few hours later
PXL_20231119_163618359.jpg

i had already ordered that plastic trim piece. ultimately i want to drill some holes and fasten the ball mount directly as double sided adhesive is clearly not strong enough. i'm just not sure how to take apart that trim piece. i imagine i'll have to remove the center console and the leather trim above the passenger's knees. i saw there's a video/tutorial on the center console trim removal, but i haven't seen anything for the leather piece nor the side piece that i purchased. i would love some help/guidance before i start the endeavor.

PXL_20231119_163733350.jpg

PXL_20231119_163752909.jpg

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
I've had my Proclip for several months now and there is no better solution. Worth the $80.

Scott05

First Name
Mychael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bmw x5
I know there's an existing thread but it's old and didn't really give much content. Before "why don't you just use CarPlay/AA", I need a phone mount because one of my absolute favorite apps isn't compatible with CarPlay. I don't know why- and it's a paid app too so yeah, sucks. But it's the only app I know of where I can save the routes I stole from PCA drives, and it doesn't display on the CarPlay screen so I need a mount.

Obviously this wouldn't be a problem if the Integra had normal vents like 99.9% of all other cars on the road. However, it doesn't. There are a few sketchy suggestions from Google and Amazon, but wanted to query the forums for suggestions. Preferably ones that have been used and have worked well under "spirited" driving conditions.
Considering your unique situation, check out flexible or adhesive phone mounts for the Integra's unconventional vent setup. Look for reviews from users with similar driving styles to ensure stability during spirited drives.

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've had my Proclip for several months now and there is no better solution. Worth the $80.
It's not the cost, (I've already spent a bunch and have invested in the RAM Mount system) but I hate to lose access to or functionality with the air vents and HVAC controls. Also, while the Proclip seems to rely on tension it still seems to use some type of adhesive strip. Would it be possible to mount the Pro clip base to the trim in around the hazard flasher button? How much weight would you guess the mount can hold?

Maybe I can screw that AMPS ball mount to the Proclip and clamp my X-grip to that, but it'd be a considerable amount of weight and force...

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not the cost, (I've already spent a bunch and have invested in the RAM Mount system) but I hate to lose access to or functionality with the air vents and HVAC controls. Also, while the Proclip seems to rely on tension it still seems to use some type of adhesive strip. Would it be possible to mount the Pro clip base to the trim in around the hazard flasher button? How much weight would you guess the mount can hold?

Maybe I can screw that AMPS ball mount to the Proclip and clamp my X-grip to that, but it'd be a considerable amount of weight and force...
It will mount to anywhere along the horizontal "vent". It comes with an adhesive strip but I don't use it; I've been using only the tension and the mount doesn't move at all. I mentioned earlier I was a little sketched about it the first time I mounted it because the tension on the arms is pretty high and you do have to kind of squeeze to finagle the little clips at the end of the mounting arms to slot in between the trim- but once it's in there it is solid, and removing it is just a reversal of that process.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro in an Otterbox case; I feel like it's a heavy ass phone, and top-heavy at that because of the ludicrous camera. I'm telling you it doesn't move, and again- I don't even use the adhesive because I want to be able to remove it if I want to- and I can take it down very easily, but I just leave it up virtually all the time because I don't notice any loss of functionality for air vents, and it's nowhere near the HVAC controls. If there was any blockage of the air vents it would be on the passenger side and my wife says she doesn't notice if it's there or not.

I can't imagine a better solution than the Proclip, and even if there was it isn't worth me considering it because the Proclip fulfills all my requirements from a phone mount.

I'll snap a pic next time I'm in the car.

Last edited:

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It will mount to anywhere along the horizontal "vent". It comes with an adhesive strip but I don't use it; I've been using only the tension and the mount doesn't move at all. I mentioned earlier I was a little sketched about it the first time I mounted it because the tension on the arms is pretty high and you do have to kind of squeeze to finagle the little clips at the end of the mounting arms to slot in between the trim- but once it's in there it is solid, and removing it is just a reversal of that process.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro in an Otterbox case; I feel like it's a heavy ass phone, and top-heavy at that because of the ludicrous camera. I'm telling you it doesn't move, and again- I don't even use the adhesive because I want to be able to remove it if I want to- and I can take it down very easily, but I just leave it up virtually all the time because I don't notice any loss of functionality for air vents, and it's nowhere near the HVAC controls. If there was any blockage of the air vents it would be on the passenger side and my wife says she doesn't notice if it's there or not.

I can't imagine a better solution than the Proclip, and even if there was it isn't worth me considering it because the Proclip fulfills all my requirements from a phone mount.

I'll snap a pic next time I'm in the car.
what mount (charging/non-charging?) do you use in addition to the base (any additional angle wedge/adapter)?

i have a google pixel 7 phone; i prefer android to ios. hopefully, with Qi2 standard released and chargers coming out, future google phones will have magnets for mounting.

anyway, i saw that there was a 25% off black friday sale so i actually went ahead and ordered just the proclip base last night (but got an email this morning saying that the base is actually backordered). i didnt realize the Proclip base had pre-drilled AMPS mounting holes, so i'll try to mount my RAM ball base to that. although with the increased length from the arm and the weight of the x-grip plus the Anker Qi-charging plate i attached, i suspect it may be considerable weight and tension to the base. but will have to see once it's all in....

Palut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
The Proclip mount and Proclip base is a very good combo. That's what's in my pictures on the first page of this topic. I use a Pixel 6 in mine, it's flawless.

A 12-18 inch cable for checking will let you use wireless Android Auto all day long, though I've started just using wired Android Auto since I plug in to charge anyway. I find that weird is more reliable and faster to start up then the wireless version.

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
what mount (charging/non-charging?) do you use in addition to the base (any additional angle wedge/adapter)?

i have a google pixel 7 phone; i prefer android to ios. hopefully, with Qi2 standard released and chargers coming out, future google phones will have magnets for mounting.

anyway, i saw that there was a 25% off black friday sale so i actually went ahead and ordered just the proclip base last night (but got an email this morning saying that the base is actually backordered). i didnt realize the Proclip base had pre-drilled AMPS mounting holes, so i'll try to mount my RAM ball base to that. although with the increased length from the arm and the weight of the x-grip plus the Anker Qi-charging plate i attached, i suspect it may be considerable weight and tension to the base. but will have to see once it's all in....
I use the basic Proclip mount designed for iPhone 14 Pro with medium case, and just plug in a charging cable: https://www.proclipusa.com/products...ne-12-12-pro-with-small-to-medium-sized-cases

This works about perfect for me, but there are many mount options available direct from Proclip; for anyone unaware, you select the base that is specifically designed for your car and then you select the mount specifically designed for your phone. It may sound like I work for Proclip but I assure you I do not- but their solution works for me so I'm just trying to articulate that effectively.

I guess it would be nice to not have a cable in the way but I also don't really trust the wireless charging through a case... just haven't had good experiences with it (*my experience is probably tainted though due to driving in a convertible and having heat from the sun combined with the charging leading to the phone overheating, FWIW...).

I also noticed that both the base and the mount are on sale right now, about $20 off the whole set, to bring it to ~$60 total (not including taxes or shipping). Probably the cheapest it's going to get.

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My order arrived from ProClip and I cobbled together my own setup.

I had ordered the angle mount/base, 15 degree wedge, and the universal holder compatible with my Pixel 7.

I was quite surprised by the sturdiness of the mount since it is essentially held in place by tension and two small lips that tuck between the surrounding vent trim and the mesh itself, which was hard to engage at first. I didn't use the adhesive back either. As for the holder itself I didn't really like the way it held my phone.

I drilled a new set of holes for my AMPS plate as the existing pilot holes seem to line up with the plastic posts of the mount itself. The screws and nuts included in the wedge plate were perfect for fastening my AMPS RAM 1" ball plate. I then used a short socket adapter to connect my XGrip. This far, remarkably sturdy, but does have some jiggle with vibration. I may consider switching to a smaller profile SnapLink ball that RAM has.
PXL_20231211_074533182.jpg

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Glad you like the mount base... but what was wrong with the way the phone mount held the phone? Personally I think the ProClip mount holds the phone quite well and have no complaints. Slides right in, doesn't move unless I want it to, isn't intrusive in my field of view or any sort of distraction. Only thing I can imagine if it holds the phone too loose or too tight as it is a pretty static width you're sliding the phone into, but the easy fix for that would be to just get a new case?

Sure that may be an intrusive process to try out different cases to find one that fits I suppose... but I guess if you can live with that eyesore it's not a problem.

But it looks like a torture device you'd see in Cyberpunk. Sorry...

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Glad you like the mount base... but what was wrong with the way the phone mount held the phone? Personally I think the ProClip mount holds the phone quite well and have no complaints. Slides right in, doesn't move unless I want it to, isn't intrusive in my field of view or any sort of distraction. Only thing I can imagine if it holds the phone too loose or too tight as it is a pretty static width you're sliding the phone into, but the easy fix for that would be to just get a new case?

Sure that may be an intrusive process to try out different cases to find one that fits I suppose... but I guess if you can live with that eyesore it's not a problem.

But it looks like a torture device you'd see in Cyberpunk. Sorry...
the holder was delivered first before i got the base mount. playing around with it, i felt the holder's wings were just too tight and sliding the phone in and out didn't seem very smooth. i didn't like how the phone sat on the holder vs being gripped on the sides by the holder. adjustments also can't really be done on the fly since you need to loosen some screws to relive the tension on the wings/arms. so i never actually tried the holder on the mount as i had made up my mind by the time the mount arrived. if i had an iphone with magsafe, i would probably consider a magnetic charging base/mount as an option.

anyway, i just dumped more money into this endeavor and ordered a new set of RAM x-grip holder and base that uses a smaller "Snaplink" ball that is 0.75" to minimize the arm/length. anecdotally, sitting on the passenger side, i accidentally hit the arm on the side and the whole clip came off the vent. so i'll have to be careful not to knock it off.