• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New problem with ambient temp and A/C, advice appreciated!

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-spec
This isn’t another post about permanently disabling the auto idle stop-

2023 Integra A-spec 13k miles. Had the car for 6 months, zero issues. While driving to dinner the other night, I got a dash alert message “Auto idle stop system problem. See your dealer.” The A/C and outside temp display stopped working at this moment. The message intermittently goes away and A/C and outside temp start working again (although the outside temp is very low). Everything works for about 5 mins, sometimes less and then it happens again. This happens whether the auto idle stop button is on or off. I would like to repair this myself before going to the trouble of taking it to the dealer. I’m not sure where to start. I want to get this resolved because I'm in south Florida and driving with A/C going on and off is terrible.

Scanned the car, no codes. Battery tests well and connections are tight. I'm thinking it could be the ambient temperature sensor since I bought the car after it was in a minor front-end collision (professionally repaired) and I believe the sensor is near there. Seems strange it would be fine for 6 months though. I know if the car thinks the outside temp is too low it will disable the auto idle stop feature.
The fact that the auto idle stop is dependent on ambient temperature makes me think the temp sensor could be the culprit, but I'd like to hear some opinions before I start digging around. Any idea what this could be? Has anyone experienced this before? Thank you for reading, all suggestions are appreciated

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Acura RL Tech; 2024 Integra ASpec Tech
This isn’t another post about permanently disabling the auto idle stop-

2023 Integra A-spec 13k miles. Had the car for 6 months, zero issues. While driving to dinner the other night, I got a dash alert message “Auto idle stop system problem. See your dealer.” The A/C and outside temp display stopped working at this moment. The message intermittently goes away and A/C and outside temp start working again (although the outside temp is very low). Everything works for about 5 mins, sometimes less and then it happens again. This happens whether the auto idle stop button is on or off. I would like to repair this myself before going to the trouble of taking it to the dealer. I’m not sure where to start. I want to get this resolved because I'm in south Florida and driving with A/C going on and off is terrible.

Scanned the car, no codes. Battery tests well and connections are tight. I'm thinking it could be the ambient temperature sensor since I bought the car after it was in a minor front-end collision (professionally repaired) and I believe the sensor is near there. Seems strange it would be fine for 6 months though. I know if the car thinks the outside temp is too low it will disable the auto idle stop feature.
The fact that the auto idle stop is dependent on ambient temperature makes me think the temp sensor could be the culprit, but I'd like to hear some opinions before I start digging around. Any idea what this could be? Has anyone experienced this before? Thank you for reading, all suggestions are appreciated
One of my friends has 2015 (give or take) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor where temp sensor showed very cold temp and at times even into negatives and I think he complained about A/C as well. We talked on the phone on multiple occasion troubleshooting the issue and getting ideas together. He tried replacing the sensor with an OEM one, however the issue still persisted. He tracked it down to a connector and in his case, he had to cut the connector and replace it with another one.

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
One of my friends has 2015 (give or take) Ford Explorer Police Interceptor where temp sensor showed very cold temp and at times even into negatives and I think he complained about A/C as well. We talked on the phone on multiple occasion troubleshooting the issue and getting ideas together. He tried replacing the sensor with an OEM one, however the issue still persisted. He tracked it down to a connector and in his case, he had to cut the connector and replace it with another one.
Thank you for the input. I’ll definitely take that into consideration. After work I’m going to find the ambient temp sensor behind the bumper and check it out along with its connections. I’ll report back. Thanks again!

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
What scanner do you have because for something like that you would need a better scanner than say a simple check engine light code reader. You need a reader that can all the modules. Sounds like it may be an intermittent issue

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What scanner do you have because for something like that you would need a better scanner than say a simple check engine light code reader. You need a reader that can all the modules. Sounds like it may be an intermittent issue
Yeah it’s just a basic scanner. Today I hooked up the scanner while the issue was happening and still no codes. Problem is definitely intermittent. Happens off and on every few minutes while driving. Searched around for the ambient temp sensor behind the bumper. Can’t locate, may need to remove the bumper

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Yeah it’s just a basic scanner. Today I hooked up the scanner while the issue was happening and still no codes. Problem is definitely intermittent. Happens off and on every few minutes while driving. Searched around for the ambient temp sensor behind the bumper. Can’t locate, may need to remove the bumper
Not a full proof way of doing things but you can try running the test with the head unit, believe it tests the AC unit as well for codes. Run the self test. If none are present on the head unit I’d recommend getting yourself a good code reader to read codes before tearing stuff up. It will at least help guide you in a direction. This will read all module codes, does everything but bi-directional stuff.
https://a.co/d/5mwCRWi

IMG_1691.jpeg

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a full proof way of doing things but you can try running the test with the head unit, believe it tests the AC unit as well for codes. Run the self test. If none are present on the head unit I’d recommend getting yourself a good code reader to read codes before tearing stuff up. It will at least help guide you in a direction. This will read all module codes, does everything but bi-directional stuff.
https://a.co/d/5mwCRWi

IMG_1691.jpeg
Thank you for reading! I think what you’re describing is only available with the tech package? Mine is just A-spec. My head unit doesn’t show telematics or much beyond basic audio and rear camera settings. I agree with you on using a better scanner to track it down first. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks again for the advice everyone

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Thank you for reading! I think what you’re describing is only available with the tech package? Mine is just A-spec. My head unit doesn’t show telematics or much beyond basic audio and rear camera settings. I agree with you on using a better scanner to track it down first. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks again for the advice everyone
Here's the A-Spec non-tech version.

View attachment Audio and Visual System Diagnostic Mode (Color Audio Type (7-inch Screen)) (Radio, Stereo, and...pdf

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You’re the man! Thank you for this. Got a chance to try this. Went thru it all, everything shows green and “Result okay”. Noticed before the ambient temp reading was all over the place but always very low (20-30 degrees F), and now when the problem is gone and I do get a temp reading it’s always -40F, then the light comes on, no temp reading and I lose a/c

Last edited:

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FYI - On my 2010 Acura RL, the temp sensor was attached to the lower part of the bumper, closer to the passenger side. When I had to remove the bumper, I needed to disconnect the temp sensor too. Try calling parts department of Acura and ask about the location of the temp sensor as they have diagrams.

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FYI - On my 2010 Acura RL, the temp sensor was attached to the lower part of the bumper, closer to the passenger side. When I had to remove the bumper, I needed to disconnect the temp sensor too. Try calling parts department of Acura and ask about the location of the temp sensor as they have diagrams.
I appreciate the guidance! Called my local Acura parts dept today to ask. All they could see according to their diagram was it’s behind the front bumper driver’s side below and medial to headlight. According to parts guy, bumper “likely” needs to comes off to access. Since the sensor is only $20 from Acura I might just try swapping sensors. Found a helpful video on diagnosing a faulty sensor with a multimeter, I’ll try that out too

Imperial

First Name
Slava
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I appreciate the guidance! Called my local Acura parts dept today to ask. All they could see according to their diagram was it’s behind the front bumper driver’s side below and medial to headlight. According to parts guy, bumper “likely” needs to comes off to access. Since the sensor is only $20 from Acura I might just try swapping sensors. Found a helpful video on diagnosing a faulty sensor with a multimeter, I’ll try that out too
I am curious to see if some water is getting into the connector or it isn't clipped in properly and at times has a connection and other times doesn't. Hope that it isn't rodent damage. Good luck!

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am curious to see if some water is getting into the connector or it isn't clipped in properly and at times has a connection and other times doesn't. Hope that it isn't rodent damage. Good luck!
This is exactly what I’m leaning toward. Going to get a look at it after work. I’ll post pics of what I find

OP
OP
Eyeguy24

Eyeguy24

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIXED! Had to take the bumper off to get to it. Turned out to be a damaged wire to the ambient temp sensor on the connector side. Spliced them together and works like new again. Passed the test drive. No dash lights and a/c stays blowing ice cold. Also, outside temp is now accurate :) FYI the sensor is mounted on driver side behind bumper under the headlight. My mount was broken so it was just dangling around. I just zip tied it near where it would go and where I can access it easily without removing the whole bumper should the wiring not hold up. Thanks for your help everyone!

1714672375215-50.png

1714672443535-5w.png

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
Hooray! Good job!