• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Integra Longer than Civic Sedan, even.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Sedan Touring
So this has been driving me crazy but the new Integra is more than 6 inches longer than the civic hatch and actually a little longer than even the sedan.

Does anyone know where the hell all that length was put? The cargo specs are always deceiving to look at due to them measuring for every little bit of space that isn't even necessarily practical to use. Or if there is something added in like a larger sub, the cargo space is reduced even though, again, not really usable short of filling your car with packing peanuts.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
The back end, which enabled them to use the SI's exhaust. I think the extra length looks good, and the Civic a little too chopped short considering how much hood length they gave us.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The back end, which enabled them to use the SI's exhaust. I think the extra length looks good, and the Civic a little too chopped short considering how much hood length they gave us.
So why doesn't it show up in the cargo specs? Is there intrusion from the rear suspension or something?

I am assuming that at the least, if you had the seats down in both, there is an extra 6 inches of depth from the rear to the front row seats?

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I can't say for sure without comparing side by side, but looking at photos you definitely have a larger and lower hatch opening, and possibly a lower floor. We have to lift things up and out rather than straight in like a normal hatch, making the integra more of a liftback.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ah, that makes sense then. So for certain outsized items, I would guess the Integra is the winner but for daily convenience, the Civic Hatch could be more ideal.

Not an immediate purchase concern for me but always like to know in advance. I like being prepared even if I don't need to be.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
My best guess is that you need to figure in a few things between the civic sedan and integra hatch.

-The integra hatch has a more sloped rear roof line leading into the hatch, that cuts some space.
-You also have interior trim pieces in the hatch versus the trunk that doesn't have these extra trim pieces since you don't see it from the inside of the car.
-The integra also tapers more dramatically from its widest rear points to the top of the hatch cutting more inches compared to the more evenly rectangular back end shape of the civic sedan.
-The bottom floor of the integra's cargo space also seems to sit higher up than the floor of the civic trunk, this is probably more ease of use given how high up the integra's load height is compared to the civic's trunk which cuts much lower on the back.
-Some of the length difference between the two is probably created from the shapes of the front and rear bumpers. The more upright civic back end when viewed from a side profile, versus the integra which has more of an outward slope top to bottom.
-Added sound insulation in the integra's rear could've taken up space, meaning the inside trim is pushed inward slightly more.

Wondering did they factor in the space below the floor panel in both cars? Are we sure that the rear seats of the integra sit at exactly the same point as the civic? If the rear seats are slightly further back in the integra that takes space from cargo area with seats up.

Basing any vehicle on exterior dimensions is faulty, look at how large the TLX is compared to it's rear seat space compared to the Accord or Integra.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Basing any vehicle on exterior dimensions is faulty, look at how large the TLX is compared to it's rear seat space compared to the Accord or Integra.
Oh I know but all the makers are obsessed with the "standard" ways to measure things and miss on aspects that really matter.

Also, I assume you meant to say hatch above and not sedan. Love my sedan but if I ever flip to the hatch or integra, just trying to not screw myself on cargo utility. Although either win in the "larger opening to put things in through"

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh I know but all the makers are obsessed with the "standard" ways to measure things and miss on aspects that really matter.

Also, I assume you meant to say hatch above and not sedan. Love my sedan but if I ever flip to the hatch or integra, just trying to not screw myself on cargo utility. Although either win in the "larger opening to put things in through"
I would take any hatch over a trunk in most cases. There have been so many times that the trunk opening hindered my cargo more than the actual size of the trunk. Having the wider, taller, more open pass to load things in, in combo with nearly fold flat seats (versus the compromised pass through of a trunk) would make cargo space 10x more useable for me personally.

But I agree, the useable space versus actual volume measurement is always deceiving. Suitcases don't mold to a space the way loose packing peanuts or even grocery bags might fill a space. I know there is a thread on here specific to what people could fit in their integra hatches, that IMO gives more realistic use case scenarios, maybe look up that thread if you haven't already.

ChromaPop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai Veloster N; VW GTI's, Mazdaspeed 3, Mini C
It makes you realize though how incredible some car designers have achieved such a mass of interior space with relatively small exteriors, the one that really comes to mind is the Volkswagen GTI. Another amazing example is the new 2024 Hyundai Kona.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
I'm pretty certain it's the fairings. I believe the back is a bit more of a bubble butt and the nose is a little more protruding. One thing I've noticed, it's also deceptive because especially for the nose, yes the dimensions on paper are what they are, but for the Integra, it's only the max at dead center, it sweeps rearwards very quickly so in the garage it still feels easier to pass by than let's say a box with those same dimensions.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would take any hatch over a trunk in most cases. There have been so many times that the trunk opening hindered my cargo more than the actual size of the trunk. Having the wider, taller, more open pass to load things in, in combo with nearly fold flat seats (versus the compromised pass through of a trunk) would make cargo space 10x more useable for me personally.
Ya, my son wrote off my 2017 Civic sedan so when that happened, the Civic hatches weren't at all ready so we had to "settle" for a 2022 sedan touring. And this all is of course why I am so curious about the differences as a sport touring is dang close to the price of a base Integra here in Canada. So if and when interest rates here get back to normal, maybe? MAYBE? But definitely not holding my breath, that is for sure.

I'm pretty certain it's the fairings. I believe the back is a bit more of a bubble butt and the nose is a little more protruding. One thing I've noticed, it's also deceptive because especially for the nose, yes the dimensions on paper are what they are, but for the Integra, it's only the max at dead center, it sweeps rearwards very quickly so in the garage it still feels easier to pass by than let's say a box with those same dimensions.
After the comments from above and some careful image manipulation, the front is not at all different. All the length is in the rear. The ever so minor sedan vs Integra length is down to the lower lip of the front clip or the shape of the rear clip. Otherwise, there is indeed a full 6 inches tossed into the cargo length.

SilverRocket

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 LSM ITS
After the comments from above and some careful image manipulation, the front is not at all different. All the length is in the rear. The ever so minor sedan vs Integra length is down to the lower lip of the front clip or the shape of the rear clip. Otherwise, there is indeed a full 6 inches tossed into the cargo length.
I have to respectfully disagree. Short of walking into both dealerships and actually measuring the car for ourselves, base on online comparison tools, the interior of the car is identical.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=401938382&veh2=401967748

Length
185.8 in. versus 179.0 in.

Wheelbase
107.7 in. (Same)

Cargo Space
24.3 cu. ft. versus 24.5 cu. ft. (Taller hatch)

Front Leg Room
42.3 in. (Same)

Rear Leg Room
37.4 in. (Same)

Wheel base, front and rear leg room are identical and the cargo space is near identical, with the 0.2 cu.ft. likely coming from the additional height of the civic hatch.

I'm telling you the extra length comes from the body styling of the Integra, the same reason it's 2 inches wider because the car shares the same bones.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
This is getting super anal and I love it 😘

My personal best so far has been a barbecue, new in box but those things are still huge. The goons at crappy tire who helped me load it were in doubt they saw what I was driving, but she swallowed it whole with room to spare.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well it was in Acura's best interest to make the integra as versatile as it humanly could (while maintaining proportions and style) otherwise they would've just brought an entry level crossover to the market instead. The versatility of the integra is meant to be nearly as good as a small crossover as they could make it so that people would rethink opting for a hatchback/liftback rather than a small crossover.

Blek le Roc

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'73 Alfa GTV, '24 ITS
The width is my main issue with my ITS. I have 6" per side of space to the garage door, and to make it more challenging my driveway is perpendicular to the direction in which I have to enter...

I hope that one of these days I don't clip a rear fender. The mirrors are less of an issue because I assume that they'll fold back if they hit on entry. Backing out could cause more damage - I don't know if they can fold forward.