• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ITS Downforce Figures?

SolarTrans

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LCM+Red ITS
Can't find any official info on this. FL5 has 92kg at 200kmh. Can anyone find out from a source at Acura what the ITS' figure is?

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Gotta wonder why.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, the FL5 has a pretty substantial wing at the back. I'm just not sure the specifics on downforce is relevant for this car, so you might have a hard time tracking it down.

If you're considering hardcore tracking to the point where downforce is a consideration, definitely get a Type R.

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Can't find any official info on this. FL5 has 92kg at 200kmh. Can anyone find out from a source at Acura what the ITS' figure is?
Enough to not need a wing, and that’s all I know. Think I heard it from Everyday Driver, or the Drive article I read last week. The diffuser is functional and generates “negative lift”=downforce Acura says on their website. They haven’t released the official figures and I think if they did then that would defeat the purpose of the car as a “daily driver”.

OP
OP
SolarTrans

SolarTrans

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LCM+Red ITS
Gotta wonder why.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, the FL5 has a pretty substantial wing at the back. I'm just not sure the specifics on downforce is relevant for this car, so you might have a hard time tracking it down.

If you're considering hardcore tracking to the point where downforce is a consideration, definitely get a Type R.
I already have an ITS, ahah

Just learned that the FL5 creates a bit more downforce than the Porsche GT4 RS (89kg), and substantially more than the 718 GT4 (72kg) at 200kmh. This was incredibly surprising to me, as I always assumed those sports coupes would "obviously" have better aero (none of these can touch the 992 GT3's 145kg, though).

Got me thinking, where does the iTS land? It feels so planted at speed, that I'm guessing a solid amount.

The ITS diffuser looks bigger than the CTR, so I'm wondering if they managed to add back some downforce that was lost by going to a lip from a wing.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I already have an ITS, ahah

Just learned that the FL5 creates a bit more downforce than the Porsche GT4 RS (89kg), and substantially more than the 718 GT4 (72kg) at 200kmh. This was incredibly surprising to me, as I always assumed those sports coupes would "obviously" have better aero (none of these can touch the 992 GT3's 145kg, though).

Got me thinking, where does the iTS land? It feels so planted at speed, that I'm guessing a solid amount.

The ITS diffuser looks bigger than the CTR, so I'm wondering if they managed to add back some downforce that was lost by going to a lip from a wing.
Yeah that is surprising. Maybe just a little bit to do with the FWD orientation?

I just saw a vid on YT yesterday where they fitted an adjustable wing and it was entertaining to watch them get it dialed in (at least until round 4 or so then I got tired of reading subs).

Still, waaaaay too involved for anything I'll be doing with this car. My experience so far has left me incredibly surprised and impressed with the ITS' track prowess out of the box, so any of these figures like downforce numbers would just satisfy general curiosity for me.

OP
OP
SolarTrans

SolarTrans

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LCM+Red ITS
Yeah that is surprising. Maybe just a little bit to do with the FWD orientation?

I just saw a vid on YT yesterday where they fitted an adjustable wing and it was entertaining to watch them get it dialed in (at least until round 4 or so then I got tired of reading subs).

Still, waaaaay too involved for anything I'll be doing with this car. My experience so far has left me incredibly surprised and impressed with the ITS' track prowess out of the box, so any of these figures like downforce numbers would just satisfy general curiosity for me.
Yup, that's where I'm at with it. Just curiosity. Throttle House put down identical times with the FL5 and DE5 on their test track, which is admittedly not a very high speed track, so downforce would not come into play as much.

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup, that's where I'm at with it. Just curiosity. Throttle House put down identical times with the FL5 and DE5 on their test track, which is admittedly not a very high speed track, so downforce would not come into play as much.
All I wanted was a car that didn't look offensive, I could fit my dog in, and I could have fun taking down a back road and survive 1-2 HPDEs a year. So far this thing has delivered in spades.

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
The diffuser is functional and generates “negative lift”=downforce Acura says on their website.
They might mean that the diffuser creates downforce, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the car is creating net downforce overall.

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
They might mean that the diffuser creates downforce, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the car is creating net downforce overall.
I’ll let you decide for yourself. Here’s everything that they’ve done to generate downforce along with a picture in this article.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/how-the-2024-acura-integra-type-s-hood-vent-also-improves-downforce

Edit: There still might be a lot of turbulent air coming out under the back cause it’s not a flat bottom, but I’m definitely no aero guy, this is just what’s marketed. The CTR bottom isn’t flat either, but spoon put a swan neck on it and complained of it having “too much downforce”. I’ll let you have at it.

Last edited:

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I’ll let you decide for yourself. Here’s everything that they’ve done to generate downforce along with a picture in this article.
Yup, I've seen these diagrams before, and they've definitely done a lot to help create downforce but it's still impossible to know whether it's generating net downforce without someone trying CFD on the car. Maybe Verus Engineering might one day publish results if they start working on Type S parts. It would definitely be cool if the Type S was creating net downforce without a wing. I think the Alpine A110 does that as well.

Also something to note about the rear diffuser. On the Type S it doesn't cover underneath the exhaust or extend as far as it does on the FL5:
1698097900013.png

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Yup, I've seen these diagrams before, and they've definitely done a lot to help create downforce but it's still impossible to know whether it's generating net downforce without someone trying CFD on the car. Maybe Verus Engineering might one day publish results if they start working on Type S parts. It would definitely be cool if the Type S was creating net downforce without a wing. I think the Alpine A110 does that as well.

Also something to note about the rear diffuser. On the Type S it doesn't cover underneath the exhaust or extend as far as it does on the FL5:
1698097900013.png
It also doesn’t have those mini vortex generators at the leading edge of the diffuser. Interesting, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. They probably cost cut at the back since it’s longer, and this has front canards.

OP
OP
SolarTrans

SolarTrans

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
LCM+Red ITS

1698097900013.png
Acura must have some of their own data on this. Whether they've actually discussed it publicly or not, who knows.

Snugs24

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Acura must have some of their own data on this. Whether they've actually discussed it publicly or not, who knows.
According to Acura the car doesn’t need a wing. I think Americans just don’t talk about ground effect, it might be a culture thing. Name one American engineer that has raved about ground effect on their product. I didn’t even know that the new Indy cars were ground effect cars until the 2022 F1 porpoising issue became a thing lol.

Both production Ford GT’s came with massive diffusers and no one at Ford talked about them! I’ve always wondered why we ignore ground effects. Skunkworks? NASA? too far? lol

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
They probably cost cut at the back since it’s longer, and this has front canards.
I believe the canards don't actually add any additional downforce over the FL5? I remember reading somewhere that the canards end up offsetting the penalty from getting rid of the front fender vents that the FL5 has.

VtecBuddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
According to Acura the car doesn’t need a wing. I think Americans just don’t talk about ground effect, it might be a culture thing. Name one American engineer that has raved about ground effect on their product. I didn’t even know that the new Indy cars were ground effect cars until the 2022 F1 porpoising issue became a thing lol.

Both production Ford GT’s came with massive diffusers and no one at Ford talked about them! I’ve always wondered why we ignore ground effects. Skunkworks? NASA? too far? lol
Ground effects are hard to accomplish, cars need to be quite low for ground effects to be substantial. The Ford GT accomplishes it because it can dynamically alter ride height for the track and get really low. But I can't imagine the ground effects are that substantial on more common production cars compared to the downforce you can accomplish with a big wing or air dam. You also need to make sure the underbody of the car is really smooth which takes a lot of additional panels.